[Support] binhex - Plex

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-plex in the binhex repo.

Application: Plex - https://plex.tv/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-plex/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-plex

Documentationhttps://github.com/binhex/documentation

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer  :D

btn_donate_SM.gif

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

Edited by binhex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 5 weeks later...

this MIGHT be my fault, permissions issues :-[ see below (taken from another post):-

there was a permissions issue, can you stop affected running containers and delete perms.txt from /config folders then upgrade any containers via unraid webui and start again, let me know how you get on.

please note it can take a number of minutes (10-20 mins for large metadata collections) for the permissions to re-apply so just be patient.

Yes it was a permissions issue for me.  I figured it out last night around midnight.  Sorry I didn't post that.  I ran the new permissions script on the cache drive and it fixed it for me.

thanks for the feedback, yep re-running new perms is another way to fix it, this is now resolved in the latest image, so shouldn't occur again.

thanks for the great work and all the plugins, I hope to send you some beer money soon.  Will the permission issue be in any of the other plugins or was it just a Plex thing?

unfortunately it has crept into all the images , so if you see the issue then the resolution is the same, stop container, delete /config/perms.txt, then pull down latest image, this will force permissions to be re-applied correctly.

So I updated plex tonight and afterwards it wouldn't let me access my server. Neither my iPad app nor (surprisingly) the webui through unraid worked. I'd be able to open the webui but it would tell me the server is missing or something. So I followed the instructions here and deleted the perms.txt file and now the webui doesn't work at all. I can't figure out how to upgrade it though. Do I just have to wait until,the next time plex upgrades the server software?  That can't be right.

Ok so I waited and it looks like my perms file has been replaced so now I can get into the main ui. Now though it's still stuck at "looking for servers"

ok lets take this one step at a time, so the reason why it took a while to start is because on first run it applies permissions recursively to /config, as detailed in this post http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45844.msg437898#msg437898

once this has run it wont happen again unless you delete the file /config/perms.txt, so onto where your at now, so when you say its "looking for servers" is this on the plex client your seeing this (iphone/ipad), or are you seeing this when logging into plex externally via the website, or is this when administering the plex server locally on your lan?.

edit - just to double check can you ensure you are using the latest docker image, so do a "check for updates" in the unraid docker webui

When I use the docker ui on my local Lam I get to the plex administration page but it doesn't show any of my server content and says in the upper left hand corner that it is looking for servers. Eventually it stops looking and has my server with a red icon next to it saying it is unavailable. So the local server ui says it can't find itself.

Check for updates shows me as having the latest everything. (I even updated to the latest unraid software to see if that was the issue.

When I use the docker ui on my local Lam I get to the plex administration page but it doesn't show any of my server content and says in the upper left hand corner that it is looking for servers. Eventually it stops looking and has my server with a red icon next to it saying it is unavailable. So the local server ui says it can't find itself.

Check for updates shows me as having the latest everything. (I even updated to the latest unraid software to see if that was the issue.

ok can you send me a screenshot of the unraid docker webui for this particular container, so open unraid webui, docker tab, click on plex icon and select edit and then screenshot and post it here, i just want to double check the settings are correct for the container, particularly the "network type". Can you also screenshot me what your talking about above, im 99% sure i know what your seeing but a screenshot may show something.

one thing you can do is to ensure all permissions did get set correctly is perform the following:-

1. stop plex container

2. delete /config/perms.txt (path on host to this file obviously)

3. start plex and importantly WAIT for it to complete, could take up to 20 mins on a large metadata collection.

This may make a difference, as if you stopped it early the permissions may not of applied to all files and folders and could leave things in a inconsistent state, this should resolve this if its the problem.

Looks like my issues with Sab, CP and SB have all been worked out, but nothing I do seems to help with Plex.  I'll delete my perms.txt and then walk away for half an hour and when I try to check the web ui, I get the same "server unreachable" error.

The issue is you've changed your network type from host to bridge, change it back and you should be OK.