• [6.10.0 RC1] Rocket Lake S iGPU - Hardware Encoding/Decoding

doubley
    • Minor

Hi all,

I was previously on Unraid 6.9.2 stable and used my Intel 11700 for Plex and Jellyfin hardware encoding. Since Rocket Lake S wasn't officially supported with that version of Unraid, I had to use i915.force_probe=4c8a in syslinux.conf to get it all working.

I upgraded to Unraid 6.10.0 RC1 and it immediately didn't work. My frist though was since Rocket Lake is officialy supported, I removed i915.force_probe=4c8a from syslinux.conf. lspci -v

Here is the output of lspci -v on 6.9.2:

image.png.0084480261772c2b4d323897984ee1f4.png

and again on 6.10.0 RC1:

image.png.5a94f559251b1e7b467d2820f71c5000.png

cd /devi/dri returns the expected results

image.png.e953c22beb8020bd03b3087ecbb04aa9.png

chmod is still in my go file as well

image.png.e528c0f0b86f18aa8b8a6c23f23fd653.png

In my Plex container (linuxserverIO), I have it configured as follows:

image.thumb.png.7a2fc32197023e1097ed9dda2c55c631.png

And it's enabled in Plex:

image.thumb.png.91c804d2b35f8cc6110e6db814fc00c9.png

But it no worky :<

image.png.d9162d012fa92e8c6e9166203a8f2812.png

Sometimes the transcoder crashes all together and gives an error stating such, and sometimes, as pictured above, it fails over to software encoding.

The log is full of errors regarding it:

image.thumb.png.b75e4dcf5d65317c7b7c42d239e5944c.png

Let me know if the full Plex logs would be helpful, or if the error is immediately apparent based on the information already provided.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 minutes ago, arturovf said:

Excellent news!

Most 4k releases are HDR, but you can confirm if the colorspace is BT2020 in media info or in plex.  For tone mapping working you must see correct colors (not washed up) in the transcode.

Thanks! Turns out the file I was trying before wasn't HDR, but I tried one that was and tone mapping also appears to be working just fine. Picture looks correct to me with HDR off on the client and the tone mapping setting turned on on the server.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone that has already tested and confirmed that the latest beta release of Plex works on the latest Intel processors! Just to follow up on my earlier comment...

In Unraid 6.10.0-rc2 (like rc1) there is no need to create config/modprobe.d/i915.conf with with any custom options. If you previously created one, I'd recommend deleting it to get your system back to stock.

It is also not necessary to install the "Intel GPU Top" plugin, although if you do install that it allows you to install the "GPU Statistics" plugin, which is handy for confirming that the i915 GPU is actually being used.

To pass the i915 to a docker container, edit the container and add a "Device" with name and value of "/dev/dri". Then start the container and adjust any settings needed to get the application to use it. Note that only one container at a time can use /dev/dri.

The big news is that the latest version of Plex has been updated to work with these 11th gen Intel CPUs / 12th gen GPUs:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-server/30447/469
      "(Transcoder) Support for hardware transcoding on Intel Xe/Gen12 (TGL, RKL) GPUs"

So... in Unraid 6.10.0-rc2, passing /dev/dri to the LSIO Plex Container with Plex Pass version 1.25.0.5246 installed and "Use hardware acceleration when available" enabled in Plex settings, Plex's "Now Playing" reports that it is doing hardware transcoding on my 11th Gen i9-11900K.  This is further confirmed by the "GPU Statistics" plugin. woot!

Jellyfin continues to work in rc2 as well, assuming the Plex docker is stopped and I pass /dev/dri to ich777's Jellyfin docker with "Intel Quick Sync" hardware acceleration enabled in Jellyfin settings. I haven't found a way to confirm that within Jellyfin, but the "GPU Statistics" plugin shows the GPU is in use.

So far I have only done basic testing to confirm it works, I can't really speak to the quality of this vs CPU transcoding. 

• Like 2
    44 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

I haven't found a way to confirm that within Jellyfin

You can actually do that by clicking the little gear icon in the lower right corner in the web player and select "Playback Data" this will bring up a window like:

grafik.png.0795543a566dc8dc2ea8a52abff036a5.png

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1
    On 11/17/2021 at 7:43 PM, ljm42 said:

Thanks to everyone that has already tested and confirmed that the latest beta release of Plex works on the latest Intel processors! Just to follow up on my earlier comment...

In Unraid 6.10.0-rc2 (like rc1) there is no need to create config/modprobe.d/i915.conf with with any custom options. If you previously created one, I'd recommend deleting it to get your system back to stock.

It is also not necessary to install the "Intel GPU Top" plugin, although if you do install that it allows you to install the "GPU Statistics" plugin, which is handy for confirming that the i915 GPU is actually being used.

To pass the i915 to a docker container, edit the container and add a "Device" with name and value of "/dev/dri". Then start the container and adjust any settings needed to get the application to use it. Note that only one container at a time can use /dev/dri.

The big news is that the latest version of Plex has been updated to work with these 11th gen Intel CPUs / 12th gen GPUs:

So... in Unraid 6.10.0-rc2, passing /dev/dri to the LSIO Plex Container with Plex Pass version 1.25.0.5246 installed and "Use hardware acceleration when available" enabled in Plex settings, Plex's "Now Playing" reports that it is doing hardware transcoding on my 11th Gen i9-11900K.  This is further confirmed by the "GPU Statistics" plugin. woot!

Jellyfin continues to work in rc2 as well, assuming the Plex docker is stopped and I pass /dev/dri to ich777's Jellyfin docker with "Intel Quick Sync" hardware acceleration enabled in Jellyfin settings. I haven't found a way to confirm that within Jellyfin, but the "GPU Statistics" plugin shows the GPU is in use.

So far I have only done basic testing to confirm it works, I can't really speak to the quality of this vs CPU transcoding. 

I'm a complete newbie at unraid and my first build and also first time using unraid is with an Intel 11500 + B560 motherboard. I bought this system mainly for Plex and after doing my research i tought 11th gen Intel would make most sense since Unraid would eventually support UHD750 igpu. I installed 6.10 RC1 from the start and quickly read that others was experiencing that transcoding in Plex would not work. I was not able too boot without using an external GPU, so i put one in. I put my server in a pretty difficult place to access so i was wondering if someone with better Unraid knowledge could maybe tell me what im doing wrong? Now im on 6.10 RC2 and still cant get unraid to show Intel VGA IOMMU device thingy under system devices.. Neither will /dev/dri or cd /dev/dri type of commands in the terminal - i get "no such file or directory". Only the Nvidia GPU i put in as a temporary solution shows up under system devices.. 

As i said earlier my server is difficult to access and im pretty sure last time i had it plugged in to a monitor etc i enabled CSM i BIOS and what was recommended for unraid igpu support. Can someone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting? Would love to use the igpu with Plex - Thank you :)    

@Joakimns

If you have added an external gpu most motherboards default to PEG in the bios you need change to IGD for the igpu to be enab!ed.

Edited by SimonF