• [6.10.0 RC1] Rocket Lake S iGPU - Hardware Encoding/Decoding

doubley
    • Minor

Hi all,

I was previously on Unraid 6.9.2 stable and used my Intel 11700 for Plex and Jellyfin hardware encoding. Since Rocket Lake S wasn't officially supported with that version of Unraid, I had to use i915.force_probe=4c8a in syslinux.conf to get it all working.

I upgraded to Unraid 6.10.0 RC1 and it immediately didn't work. My frist though was since Rocket Lake is officialy supported, I removed i915.force_probe=4c8a from syslinux.conf. lspci -v

Here is the output of lspci -v on 6.9.2:

image.png.0084480261772c2b4d323897984ee1f4.png

and again on 6.10.0 RC1:

image.png.5a94f559251b1e7b467d2820f71c5000.png

cd /devi/dri returns the expected results

image.png.e953c22beb8020bd03b3087ecbb04aa9.png

chmod is still in my go file as well

image.png.e528c0f0b86f18aa8b8a6c23f23fd653.png

In my Plex container (linuxserverIO), I have it configured as follows:

image.thumb.png.7a2fc32197023e1097ed9dda2c55c631.png

And it's enabled in Plex:

image.thumb.png.91c804d2b35f8cc6110e6db814fc00c9.png

But it no worky :<

image.png.d9162d012fa92e8c6e9166203a8f2812.png

Sometimes the transcoder crashes all together and gives an error stating such, and sometimes, as pictured above, it fails over to software encoding.

The log is full of errors regarding it:

image.thumb.png.b75e4dcf5d65317c7b7c42d239e5944c.png

Let me know if the full Plex logs would be helpful, or if the error is immediately apparent based on the information already provided.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have a i7 11700 Gen 11 processor and have identical problems, hardware transcoding worked on in 6.9.2 but not in this update.  My Unraid setup, as you described, is identical to mine.  The Plex setup up is identical other that I have the transcoder folder using available ram.  I do not have the errors in the plex log but as you do, Unraid will no longer use the iGPU to transcode in Plex.

• Like 1

Thanks for documenting this. i915 hardware transcoding on Gen 11 processors was working in recent betas but I agree it is not working in 6.10.0-rc1. Will need to investigate.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

same here after upgrade.  in handbrake docker its the same no intel hardware encoding possible. Any chance to fix it or its better to go back to 6.9.2?

4 hours ago, cracyfloyd said:

same here after upgrade.  in handbrake docker its the same no intel hardware encoding possible. Any chance to fix it or its better to go back to 6.9.2?

Based on @ljm42's comment above, I reverted back to 6.9.2 for the time being as it sounds like they have some work to do before RC2 / final release.

1 hour ago, doubley said:

Based on @ljm42's comment above, I reverted back to 6.9.2 for the time being as it sounds like they have some work to do before RC2 / final release.

yes. i revert to 6.9.2 too. thnx.

• Like 1

Thought I'd give an update.

My system has an 11th Gen i9-11900K. In Unraid 6.9.2 (based on Linux kernel 5.10.28), I created this file on the flash:
      config/modprobe.d/i915.conf
    containing this text to activate the experimental i915 drivers for this GPU:
      options i915 force_probe=4c8a
    and Plex was able to do hardware transcoding.

In some of the earlier private betas of 6.10, this worked as well.

Starting with 6.10.0-rc1 (kernel 5.13.8) Plex was unable to do hardware transcoding on this system (it works on 9th and 10th gen Intel CPUs, just not 11th gen.) Internally today we are up to kernel 5.13.12 and Plex still will not do hardware transcoding on this system. In the 'Plex Media Server.log' it reports:
      TPU: hardware transcoding: enabled, but no hardware decode accelerator found

On the plus side, you no longer need to create an i915.conf file with those custom options, the GPU activates right out of the box.

And an interesting data point, this Jellyfin docker does hardware transcoding beautifully on the 6.10 rc's:
      https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102787-support-ich777-jellyfin-amdintelnvidia/

Now I'm not suggesting that die hard Plex fans need to switch to Jellyfin, I don't intend to. Just saying that the Linux drivers for the latest Intel CPU/GPUs are still in flux and for whatever reason, Jellyfin works with them and Plex does not. I do not know if a future Linux kernel will solve the problem, or if it will take an update from Plex. But I do not have high hopes for the current version of Plex doing hardware transcoding in rc2 on the latest Intel CPUs. 

Update - For completeness I will add that I am using the LSIO Plex Container:
      https://forums.unraid.net/topic/40463-support-linuxserverio-plex-media-server/
    and Plex itself is currently (as of 8/25/21) version 1.24.1.4931. I have a Plex Pass.

• Like 3
    1 hour ago, ljm42 said:

Thought I'd give an update.

My system has an 11th Gen i9-11900K. In Unraid 6.9.2 (based on Linux kernel 5.10.28), I created this file on the flash:
      config/modprobe.d/i915.conf
    containing this text to activate the experimental i915 drivers for this GPU:
      options i915 force_probe=4c8a
    and Plex was able to do hardware transcoding.

In some of the earlier private betas of 6.10, this worked as well.

Starting with 6.10.0-rc1 (kernel 5.13.8) Plex was unable to do hardware transcoding on this system (it works on 9th and 10th gen Intel CPUs, just not 11th gen.) Internally today we are up to kernel 5.13.12 and Plex still will not do hardware transcoding on this system. In the 'Plex Media Server.log' it reports:
      TPU: hardware transcoding: enabled, but no hardware decode accelerator found

On the plus side, you no longer need to create an i915.conf file with those custom options, the GPU activates right out of the box.

And an interesting data point, this Jellyfin docker does hardware transcoding beautifully on the 6.10 rc's:
      https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102787-support-ich777-jellyfin-amdintelnvidia/

Now I'm not suggesting that die hard Plex fans need to switch to Jellyfin, I don't intend to. Just saying that the Linux drivers for the latest Intel CPU/GPUs are still in flux and for whatever reason, Jellyfin works with them and Plex does not. I do not know if a future Linux kernel will solve the problem, or if it will take an update from Plex. But I do not have high hopes for the current version of Plex doing hardware transcoding in rc2 on the latest Intel CPUs. 

Thanks for the update!

8 hours ago, ljm42 said:

I think I remember reading that for the same base app, some containers work and other do not:

Could also be that some container need to receive a thorough update ?

Hi,

Also have an Intel 11700 and no hardware acceleration on Plex...

Hope this get fixed soon... or maybe try Jellyfin

Edited by Kopernikus

Hi,

Just installed Jellyfin and I must confirm no problems at all with my 11700 with IGPU on Unraid.

Also clean interface and free... maybe worth swithing

On 8/26/2021 at 1:47 PM, Ruato said:

Anyone tried this with Emby?

Hi,

Yes, I tested Jellyfin & Emby stable/beta docker containers and iGPU working perfect with my 11700 (including HDR tonemapping) who was still not fixed in Plex.

I used Plex for many years but I will switch now deciding between the free Jellyfin or Emby.

Edited by Kopernikus
    • Like 1

Damn... And here i was thinking that upgrading to 6.10rc1 would fix my Plex 4k transcoding issues...

And for a brief moment I thought it was like that... Going raw into a 4k file of 65gb transcoding to 1080p 20mb/s.

Worked like a charm.. until I saw the CPU at 75% usage and no hw being used by Plex.

I really hope some1 has a way to fix this without having to rollback to 6.9 2.

Same problem here. i5-11500 with 6.10rc1. Neither Plex nor dlandon/zoneminder works with QSV.

I cannot downgrade to 6.9.2 due to docker network bug destroying my array. Hope LimeTech will fix this in the stable version.

Same here 11500 with 6.10 and LSIO plex container.

Good thing is I can direct play most things and also 11500 is powerful enough to do software transcode.

I will stick with 6.10RC and hopfully will see the fix soon.

I was having a lot of issues with transcodes on Intel iGPU on Unraid 6.9.2 so I upgraded to the RC to see if it would help and ran into this exact issue.

UPDATE: Plex server version 1.25.0.5220 solves the issue. If using linuxserver.io's container, just make sure your VERSION environment variable is set to 'latest' and you should get it.

Previous version of this post is quoted below, but the info is no longer relevant.

Later, I noticed Plex has an experimental build running with some kind of new transcode setup: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-server-1-24-6-5145-new-transcoder-preview/746527

I was able to update the plex version inside my docker container to this experimental build and hardware transcodes are working again for me, and in addition the issues I had on 6.9.2 appear to be resolved. It's very early, I've only tested with a few different files that I was having issues with previously, but so far so good!

For anyone else using the linuxserver.io docker container for plex, what I did was:

1. Set the VERSION env var on the container to the experimental version (1.24.6.5145-dff9113d3 at the time of this post). This does not actually work to update plex, but when the container's auto-update script runs on restart, it is unable to fetch this version since it is experimental, so this effectively disables the auto-update behavior.
      PLEASE NOTE: at some point you'll want to set this back to its original value, likely after 1.24.6 has been released to the beta or stable branch, whichever you prefer.
    2. In the container's console, download the Ubuntu/Debian 64-bit file from the post above using `wget`, and install it with `dpkg -i`
    3. Restart the container

Edited by thrawn93
    updated with new info
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    19 hours ago, blinddark said:

Hello,

is the Problem fixed with the 6.10.0 RC2?

Best regards

Just updated and testing both JellyFin and Plex, still no dice for me. 

Is there any configuration needed for those who have gotten it working? @ljm42 said he had JellyFin working, but my understanding is that with these RCs we shouldn't need to add anything in config files on the unRAID side - it should work out of the box.

Obviously on the Plex/JF side of things, I have --device=/dev/dri in my extra arguments.

Edited by doubley
    • Like 1
    17 hours ago, arturovf said:

Can someone test with RC2 and new plex build? changelog says it added rocket lake support

Can confirm, on RC2 with Plex server version 1.25.0.5220 and HW transcoding is working great on my i7-11700

Edited by thrawn93
    wrong word
    1 hour ago, furian said:

And how is the 4k working with transcoding? And with the HDR tonemapping?

Not sure how to tell which of my files have HDR, and also I'm having trouble getting the web player to request 4k properly right now, but I can confirm that at least 4k HEVC to 1080p HW transcoding is working without any of the issues I had on Unraid 6.9.

image.png

3 hours ago, thrawn93 said:

Can confirm, on RC2 with Plex server version 1.25.0.5220 and HW transcoding is working great on my i7-11700

Excellent news!

2 hours ago, thrawn93 said:

Not sure how to tell which of my files have HDR

Most 4k releases are HDR, but you can confirm if the colorspace is BT2020 in media info or in plex.  For tone mapping working you must see correct colors (not washed up) in the transcode.