• 6.10.0 RC8 "Cache" nvme temperature wrong

lucidnx
    • Closed Minor

Hello! Today I'v got alert that one of my Pool nvme ssd's went up to 84°C. after short research I have found that it is wrong..

update: after reboot it went back to normal readings.

Screenshot_20220514-195159_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20220514-195209_Firefox.jpg

hv01-diagnostics-20220514-1953.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

16 minutes ago, lucidnx said:

Here it stayed at 84 degrees until reboot.

Because of have the GUI updating at the default 1800secs, that's 30 minutes, change that to a more reasonable 60 or 120secs.

Settings -> Disk Settings -> Poll Attributes.

• Thanks 1

Oh really... I thought it is a lot faster... Can 60s polling rate cause issue or why is there such a nonsense value?

2 minutes ago, lucidnx said:

I mean, why is default value that high?

Yes, I agree, default should be much lower.

Reading smart info from a disk may interfere with its normal operation.

The default value of 30 min. is to ensure minimum impact is expected, changing the interval to a lower value is up to user choice and care should be taken that normal disk operations are not impacted.

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

Reading smart info from a disk may interfere with its normal operation.

It might, though I never found it, still I would prefer to risk that that having disks overheating due to for example a failed fan and being notified half an hour later, when it already might be too late, disks in a close space like in a 5in3 cage or similar can overheat very quick if a fan stops or gets blocked.

Well, from enterprise solutions, it's reading temps almost realtime and those machines works 24/7 for years.. I have never seen issue with that..

Default poll interval dates back a number of years.  It was chosen to minimize video "glitching" in lower-performance servers - Atom processors, 4G or less of RAM, older hard drives with small caches.

These days I think something like 30 seconds would be better.  Then if someone posts that they are seeing video glitches every 30 sec we can suggest raising the value.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 2

@limetech Just wondering, would it make sense if you could please update the default setting to 30 seconds in your next Unraid release and then if users wanted a higher value then they can increase the value. In my case i wasn't aware of the default polling interval being so high and i would guess that many others dont know about this either. I have just gone ahead and changed this to 30 sec now.

17 hours ago, Titan84 said:

@limetech Just wondering, would it make sense if you could please update the default setting to 30 seconds in your next Unraid release and then if users wanted a higher value then they can increase the value. In my case i wasn't aware of the default polling interval being so high and i would guess that many others dont know about this either. I have just gone ahead and changed this to 30 sec now.

ok

• Thanks 1

I have two Samsung 980 500GB with the same firmware in both 1B4QFXO7 but only one of them is constantly giving the warnings. The 2nd one no warnings at all.