• 6.10rc2 - Disk Write Activity

nickp85
    • Urgent

I'm seeing constant disk write activity in 6.10rc2 that I didn't see in 6.9. The HDD light on my tower is constantly blinking and I'm seeing constant blips in nmon for disk write activity. It's showing on the drives below.

nvme1n1
    vme1n1p1

nvme0n1

vme0n1p1

I run a Windows 11 VM with the main disk on the cache along with Sonarr, Radarr, Nzbget and Plex. Tried shutting them all down and still seeing the consistent write activity.

Considering we've had issues in the past with high write activity on the cache I wanted to make this report at a higher priority since the issue could be back.

Attaching diagnostics.

nicknas2-diagnostics-20211117-2114.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@Squid Stopped cachedir, all containers and my one VM. I still see my system HDD light strobing and nmon still showing small but consistent writes to cache.

New diagnostic attached, about 9:50 PM ET I turned everything off and pulled the diagnostic 6 minutes later. System is totally idle.

I sit at my machine to play games on the VM so the new HDD light activity in 6.10rc2 is definitely what tipped me off to look at it further. I promise I'm not imagining it. It's also only writes, no read activity and it's centered on cache only.

nicknas2-diagnostics-20211117-2156.zip

Edited by nickp85
    26 minutes ago, nickp85 said:

Stopped cachedir, all containers and my one VM

Docker and VM Manager still enabled, docker.img and libvirt.img are on cache.

@Squid and @trurl - Turned them off and ran it for another few mins, still strobing hdd light. Open Files plugin has 3 things listed including smbd but my server is not internet facing and nothing on my network has an open SMB connection to it. Only three things I use with SMB are the VM (not running), my Macbook for Time Machine (made sure not running) and Nvidia Shield (unplugged it). A netstat shows no active smb connections.

Uploading diagnostics again.

If there is a cleaner test you'd like please let me know the steps.

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 10.35.23 PM.png

nicknas2-diagnostics-20211117-2233.zip

This issue is still very much happening. My HDD light on my tower strobes all day every day. I’ve been watching the read/write number on my SSDs and it hasn’t ticked up yet so whatever it’s doing must be small however it’s constant. Hopefully you’re able to find something and fix in the next RC. Would rather not burn out a cache drive

17 minutes ago, trurl said:

That shows you have syslog server writing to an array disk.

Yes I do, for offloading logs in case of a crash or something. Had that for years and the activity isn’t coming from an array disk. There are also no logs being generated constantly that would account for the writes.

Wanted to bring this back to the top and comment that after rebuilding my cache on v6.10rc4, the strobing HDD light on my case seems to have subsided. I'm mentioning this because it started when I updated to v6.10 initially.