• 6.51-rc3 New default of VirtIO for RC3 causes VM SCSI disks to be changed from listing as " " to now listing as VirtIO even though they are SCSI...

Warrentheo
    • 6.5.1-rc4 Solved Annoyance

6.51-rc3 New default of VirtIO for RC3 causes VM SCSI disks to be changed from listing as "     " to now listing as VirtIO even though they are SCSI...

Minor cosmetic issue, just listing as FYI...

Related Post I added over in Feature Requests:

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 3/31/2018 at 5:22 AM, L0rdRaiden said:

OFFTOPIC.

that interface is qemu? can you manage/configure unraid VM with that? how?

That is a Virt-Manager docker container...  Much easier method of configuring VM's, and allows a lot more options than the WebGui...  That said it also includes some minor options that are being deprecated, and other options that should not be used...

That said it makes using host hardware mostly automatic instead of the near insanity of trying to do that from the text editor in the webgui...

I'm a little confused on what you're reporting here.  

6.51-rc3 New default of VirtIO for RC3 causes VM SCSI disks to be changed from listing as "     " to now listing as VirtIO even though they are SCSI...

Where?  On the VM Edit page?  I'm confused where you're seeing this behavior in our software or if it is exclusive to the virt-manager docker container you are using.

What might be easier is if you provide steps to reproduce what you're talking about.

The listed change in rc3 is about the VM page. When a VM has an empty value assigned to 'bus' previously the corresponding field stayed empty, now it shows the default selection VirtIO.

image.thumb.png.4469d80711af56116059c5bb19280175.png

Ps. The actual selection is still made in the VM setup page itself, as before.

Edited by bonienl
    15 minutes ago, jonp said:

Where?  On the VM Edit page?  I'm confused where you're seeing this behavior in our software or if it is exclusive to the virt-manager docker container you are using.

To elaborate Jon, it is *very* common to utilize a vdisk to be set up as "scsi" so that the vdisk will shrink in size (instead of always growing), and to also take advantage of trim when the vdisk is hosted on an SSD.  

Since the VM manager doesn't support scsi (and in conjunction with that discard=''unmap"), any changes to the template results in you having to re-edit the xml by hand to reset the drive / controller back to be scsi.

Edited by Squid

Ok, we are going to add the option to select SCSI as a bus type to storage devices.  This will also automatically generate the XML for the virtio-scsi controller that you'll need to talk to these devices.  We are NOT adding the discard='unmap' option directly to the GUI VM editor yet.  That may be something we do in the future.  For now, users will have to use the XML editor mode for the VM to add that special option.

12 minutes ago, jonp said:

We are NOT adding the discard='unmap' option directly to the GUI VM editor yet

At least that's a simple XML edit vs what we've had to do prior

Just now, Squid said:

At least that's a simple XML edit vs what we've had to do prior

Our thinking exactly.  Longer term, we want to do some fancy stuff by auto-detecting the use of an SSD and auto-tuning the XML based on that, but that's a more complicated feature.

so far for me when I  create or edit a VM with the web gui, I immediatly open virt-manager, switch the disk back to being SCSI (Which when I do it this way, it also adds the SCSI controler, and discards the un-needed Virtio controler) I also change the disk cache option to be power-outage safe by changing if from the default of "WriteBack" to what I feel should be the default, "WriteThrough"...  After this, I can't even change the "Discard" option from Virt-Manager, so I have to do a simple manual XML edit to have the "Discard" = "Unmap" option to enable the VM to TRIM/Discard the vdisk file...

All this just to get the XML to read: 

<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writethrough' discard='unmap'/>
          <source file='/mnt/cache/domains/MainDeck/MainDrvWin10.SCSI.raw.img'/>
          <target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>

Having SCSI just as an option in the WebGUI would shorten quite a bit of this, I put in a feature request for this here:

13 minutes ago, Warrentheo said:

so far for me when I  create or edit a VM with the web gui, I immediatly open virt-manager, switch the disk back to being SCSI (Which when I do it this way, it also adds the SCSI controler, and discards the un-needed Virtio controler) I also change the disk cache option to be power-outage safe by changing if from the default of "WriteBack" to what I feel should be the default, "WriteThrough"...  After this, I can't even change the "Discard" option from Virt-Manager, so I have to do a simple manual XML edit to have the "Discard" = "Unmap" option to enable the VM to TRIM/Discard the vdisk file...

All this just to get the XML to read: 

<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writethrough' discard='unmap'/>
          <source file='/mnt/cache/domains/MainDeck/MainDrvWin10.SCSI.raw.img'/>
          <target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>

Having SCSI just as an option in the WebGUI would shorten quite a bit of this, I put in a feature request for this here:

Just to be clear, it is not our intention to support the virt-manager tool you are using, so I can't really commit to anything with respect to that.  I think adding the SCSI option will suffice for now and folks that want to further adjust options can do manual xml edits to make that happen.

I understand, just letting you guys know the way I use it, as a sort of goal to work toward sense...

To my understanding there are really two main use cases, the default VirtIO bus for those who want minimum storage system overhead, or virtual SCSI bus, mainly in order to enable VM trim/discard...  There might be reasons for going with VM SATA bus over one of those, but what they are, I don't know...  IDE can stay for legacy support...

5 hours ago, jonp said:

Ok, we are going to add the option to select SCSI as a bus type to storage devices.  This will also automatically generate the XML for the virtio-scsi controller that you'll need to talk to these devices.  We are NOT adding the discard='unmap' option directly to the GUI VM editor yet.  That may be something we do in the future.  For now, users will have to use the XML editor mode for the VM to add that special option.

The other remaining missing option is "USB" that just uses the default USB hub as its controller...  Don't know many uses for it, but it might be trivial to add it as well at the same time...  I will leave whether to add it or not up to you...  

5 hours ago, Warrentheo said:

The other remaining missing option is "USB" that just uses the default USB hub as its controller...  Don't know many uses for it, but it might be trivial to add it as well at the same time...  I will leave whether to add it or not up to you...  

Not sure what you're talking about.  We offer folks the USB option already...