• 6.6.0-rc1 Gui Boot - locked at low resolution

DieFalse
    • Retest Annoyance

Throughout all of the releases, I have grown used to the low 1024x768 limit of gui, and not the desired 1920x1080.   However this new release has gone back in time to 800x600 and I can't use it at all.  

Through previous troubleshooting I have 1920x1080 dummy plugs in all ports not in use. This is limited to this release  and no others so far have limited to less than 1024x768.

Can this be corrected easily/rapidly?  I would love to test the new RC but can't without gui boot.

nas-diagnostics-20180902-1650.zip

• Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I am saying I want to use the 1920x1080 but 1024x768 would work if thats all that is possible.

With the new RC it is limited to a maximum of 800x600 which is less than usable.

Hello LT,

I unfortunately do not have on-board graphics.  It is the same on both of my pci cards.

Radeon RX 560

Radeon HD 6450

This still exists in RC4.

Is there a Current List of supported GPU's? Perhaps I need to just buy another GPU.  I have to have functioning and usable GUI in my environment.

We should be able to fix this since it was apparently working before but none of our test servers shows this issue.  I'll have to dig up some GPU cards from the junk box and see if we can duplicate.  Probably won't have the time to do this before releasing 6.6.0 stable however.

5 minutes ago, limetech said:

We should be able to fix this since it was apparently working before but none of our test servers shows this issue.  I'll have to dig up some GPU cards from the junk box and see if we can duplicate.  Probably won't have the time to do this before releasing 6.6.0 stable however.

I'm ok with that. I may have to keep my production. Server on 6.5 until fixed.  alternatively I can allow remote connection or even overnight a card with a return label to assist. 

Last resort, just tell me a known 100% working and I'll buy it.

was looking through the forums to see if this was reported and came across this thread.  Just wanted to chime in and say that I think I'm experiencing the same/similar issue.  

I've been booting to the GUI since prior to 6.6, but after 6.6 it appears that my resolution is at also stuck at 800x600 and I have to reduce sizes to 50% in Firefox to make the GUI "usable" (although with fonts this small, i'm going more by memory & icons).

My main difference is that I do not have any PCIe video cards installed and using the onboard video from my old motherboard (Matrox G200eW on a Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+).

I'm currently traveling for the long weekend, but @limetech, if you need diagnostics, i can get them to you Monday evening or so.

I recently had some time to figure out if I could make it work somehow.

I removed all GPU's for VM's physically and went down to one GPU,  my RX560.

I now have 1080p resolution.  If I go to one card (either one) it works perfectly.

When I put in a second or third GPU, it locks to 800x600.

Ok,  I have had some time to play with this.   When I add my second GPU it locks to 1024x768 like it did a few versions back before going to 800x600.   1024 is usable, but the 1080 is so much nicer.  I have locked the primary card in bios and even reversed the cards,  I have also put dummy plugs in all non used display ports and this changes nothing.   When I take out all but one card, I get full 1080p.

TLDR:  Its improved but not 100% correct yet.  Multiple GPUs lock resolution at 1024x768 now.

• Like 1

Stumbled across this thread. GUI boot has been 1024x768 for me since forever or however long I've been using GUI mode for the added numa support tools. I've always thought that was just how it is. I also have two video cards, a GT 1030 for unraid, and a Quadro P2000 for a VM.

Is the unraid GUI supposed to be at 1920x1080?

30 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

Is the unraid GUI supposed to be at 1920x1080?

Early last year we spent a lot of time trying to figure out wtf was preventing higher resolution.  At one time it did work correctly and we ended finding an older 'x' package (like xorg-server or xterm - can't remember which) where it did work.  But then we needed to update those packages and now it's stuck back at low res.  In debugging this one quickly veers down the X rabbit hole.  We basically determined there were bigger issues to tackle and gave up devoting more time to this.

• Thanks 1