• [6.6.0-rc3] Not getting svcs_restarting event used to configure samba shares for recycle bin

dlandon
    • Solved Minor

The recycle bin plugin configures the samba shares for vfs_recycle.  In previous versions, the svcs_restarting event was on a timer I believe was about every minute.  The recycle bin parameters are set up when this event occurs.  I am not seeing this event occur on 6.6, so the smb-shares.conf file is not being configured when changes are made in the plugin parameters.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I just tested this on 6.5 with the same result.  Seems a change was made from the initial implementation in the recycle bin on 6.3.

@limetech I need a little direction here on how to get the svcs_restarting event to occur and how to reload the samba configuration.

Don't know if the event name changed, but 6.6 is using "svcs_restarted" not "svcs_restarting".

# svcs_restarted
    #   Occurs during cmdStart execution.
    #   Occurs as a result of changing/adding/deleting a share.
    #   The network services are started and may be exporting different share(s).

Edited by bonienl
    12 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The event "svcs_restarting" does not exist... (I believe this is true for 6.6, 6.5 and 6.4 releases)

It occurs on start and stop of the array, but isn't on the timer as it was in 6.3.  I can work this out, but what is the proper way now to restart samba for the changes I am applying?

Currently I use:

/usr/bin/smbcontrol $(cat /var/run/smbd.pid 2>/dev/null) reload-config

But is doesn't appear to remove my vfs_recycle when I stop the recycle bin. The recycle bin continues to run with default parameters.

"svcs_restarted" occurs each time a change in shares happens. This also restarts samba to reflect the new situation (i.e. share was added, or share was deleted, or share was renamed).

When you programmably add or remove a share, the above event fires. You can use this to do further actions.

2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

"svcs_restarted" occurs each time a change in shares happens. This also restarts samba to reflect the new situation (i.e. share was added, or share was deleted, or share was renamed).

When you programmably add or remove a share, the above event fires. You can use this to do further actions.

The svcs_restarting event was added by LT in 6.3 so I could apply the recycle bin parameters before samba was started/restarted.  It occurs as designed except it used to be on a timer.

I need to initiate the same scheme as adding a share.  I am making changes to the smb-shares.conf file the same as changing a share and need to get samba to reload the new configuration.  I am able to do this, but the vfs_recycle is not removed when the recycle bin is turned off.  I think changes were made to samba and I'll need to research how to update the vfs entries if the vfs_recycle is removed.