• [6.6.0.rc4] The next branch doesn't announce the release of 6.6.0 final

eek
    • Annoyance

Not exactly a big issue but the Next Branch of the update system doesn't have a record of 6.6.0 being released so the first I knew about it was when I visited the forum.

Now I know that the differences between 6.6.0rc4 and 6.6.0 are negligible, but it would be nice if the next branch featured the final releases so that testers move from 6.6.0rc4 to 6.6.0 (final) and then to 6.6.1rc1.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

6.6.0 is not a "next" release, its a stable release. It just happens that right now the stable release is newer then the next.

I think what the OP meant is that when 6.6 comes out public, it should be the new version for Stable and Next so testers don't have to change to stable to update.  I agree minor annoyance but I figured it out quickly.

11 hours ago, Squid said:

Yes, and the linked post explains why it didn't.

And that argument is fine. However, it would mean that unless I had visited this forum I would have continued to run 6.6.0-rc4 until the Next branch revealed 6.6.1-rc1 and my system prompted me to update it (after all previously rc releases have been the latest "test" release for months).. And you can test a system without visiting this forum, the only reason for doing so would be if something went wrong and you needed to report the bug..

As I said it's a slight annoyance - I just wanted to highlight the risk that unless people are told about the final (general / production) release when we get to 6.6.1-rc1 a lot of testers could be moving to that from 6.6.0-rc4 rather than 6.6.0... 

Edited by eek
    15 minutes ago, eek said:

However, it would mean that unless I had visited this forum

Running next branch implies that you are willing to put in the extra time to interact with the forum to help with issues that may come up. Either pointing them out and posting diagnostics, or suggesting changes that would improve things.

If you don't want to visit the forums and keep current, don't run the next branch.

On 9/22/2018 at 3:00 PM, jonathanm said:

Running next branch implies that you are willing to put in the extra time to interact with the forum to help with issues that may come up. Either pointing them out and posting diagnostics, or suggesting changes that would improve things.

If you don't want to visit the forums and keep current, don't run the next branch.

Sorry but public testing should be about ensuring more hardware combinations are tested than would otherwise be the case. Hence you do need multiple people to test the software as ideally you want your test team to reflect all your customer base.

And regardless of that I do visit the site - I do visit it prior to installing any rc release (to ensure there isn't an obvious showstopper making installing it pointless) and then afterwards to see if there are any issues that could impact what I use the system for. The issue here is that 3 days after installing it (unless I see problems that I needed to report ) I have no need to revisit the forums...

Edited by eek