• [6.7.0 RC1] Drives drop off Marvell controller

truck24000
    • Minor

when i reboot to install 6.7.0 RC1 i end up getting an unstable configuration.

When i revert back to 6.6.6 everything works fine.

i lose disks 3, 5 and 7 (i think those are the ones)

and will not even let me mount them again as it just says missing.

mattflix-diagnostics-20190122-1544.zip

Edited by limetech
    rename topic

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The Marvell controller stopped responding.

Marvell controller are known to be problematic by themselves, a Marvell controller with a port multiplier is just asking for trouble, I would recommend getting an LSI HBA instead.

Renaming this topic to better reflect the issue.

Please try disabling vt-d (intel) / AMD-Vi (amd) in bios and see if error persists.

5 hours ago, limetech said:

Renaming this topic to better reflect the issue.

Please try disabling vt-d (intel) / AMD-Vi (amd) in bios and see if error persists.

Thank you for renaming the topic and i tried your suggestion and it still would not work.

Does pci-e nvme use marvel controllers? Having a similar situation with my WD black nvme. Kept dropping offline, updated my bios and magically it's back after 2 days. Quick snagged my vdisk.img off it in case it went belly up again. Only started occuring after the 6.7 upgrade.

Edited by phbigred
    4 hours ago, phbigred said:

Does pci-e nvme use marvel controllers? Having a similar situation with my WD black nvme

WD Black NVMe devices do, at least initial models did, we can confirm if you post the diagnostics.

1 hour ago, phbigred said:

Diagnostics attached

Yep, it's Marvell:

01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Sandisk Corp WD Black NVMe SSD [15b7:5001]
        Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device [1b4b:1093]

Im still having issues with it dropping the drives.

i would to upgrade to the newest rc but it still will not let me.

If it is the Marvell card i really hope not to have to buy another card to replace it!

But if i do have to change it out are there any i should really look at as i am going to be building a rack system shortly, should i just wait till then to get another? and what one should i get? My new build will have a modest budget of ($3,000.  to $5,000) looking at a few xeon processors on a dual mobo.

I believe my issue with nvme with Marvell is corrected in the latest RC. Had another random issue that forced a reboot but no nvme going missing with unassigned devices plug-in 

6 hours ago, truck24000 said:

But if i do have to change it out are there any i should really look

If getting a new one get any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

7 minutes ago, truck24000 said:

Tried the new RC4 but still getting the same issue of dropped drives from the marvell controller.

Thank you for trying this and for the feedback.  I didn't see anything in the kernel change logs directly referencing marvell controller, but sometimes a change somewhere else results in a "fix".

16 minutes ago, truck24000 said:

Tried the new RC4 but still getting the same issue of dropped drives from the marvell controller.

Are you running VM's?  If not, please try disabling IOMMU in bios, ie, disable virtualization and let me know if that works.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:53 PM, limetech said:

Are you running VM's?  If not, please try disabling IOMMU in bios, ie, disable virtualization and let me know if that works.

i tried this and still a no go at all and this getting frustrating cause i cant find a way to fix this!

11 hours ago, truck24000 said:

i tried this and still a no go at all and this getting frustrating cause i cant find a way to fix this!

I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a couple of new LSI HBA’s (9211-8i) even though the Marvel based one cost me £150 it will be out of my server by the end of the day! 🤬🤬

Edited by dgreig
    1 hour ago, dgreig said:

I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a couple of new LSI HBA’s (9211-8i) even though the Marvel based one cost me £150

IMHO it's the right thing to do, Marvell based controllers are nothing but trouble since v6, though some users still use them without major issues, I have four SASLP and two SAS2LP that I bough new a few years ago, over 100€ each, now they are only good for the bracket, when some of the LSIs I bough came with low profile bracket I can used those since they are the same.

Well, after seeing this one... I also ordered a 9201-8i from Ebay....
    I have two SYBA SI-PEX40064 cards but not installed yet.
    I'm new to UNRAID, finally decided to migrate from FlexRAID to UNRAID, along with a new server.
    Now, I'm in the process of building it and haven't installed the SATA cards yet but when I tested it on the old server, had issues booting UNRAID, etc... 

I also decided to try the RCs so seeing that 6.7 has issues with those cards now, not worth it, this convinced me ;)

Edited by sfnetwork

Actually, I just did another test with my SYBA SI-PEX40064, it seems to work on my new i5 8500 setup (Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48))...
    I just tested one card with one drive connected to it, nothing else. Just to see if UNRAID can boot and detect the drive on it.

Once my data copy finishes (temp UNRAID setup on another machine since I was waiting on my parts for my new setup), I'll setup the new UNRAID with EVERYTHING and see if it works (RC5):
    6 drives on onboard SATA (1 ssd and 5 WD RED)
    4 drives on this SYBA SI-PEX40064 card (WD RED)

***UPDATE: I confirm; my card works fine with the setup above in UNRAID.
    I still ordered the 9201-8i card, I have a feeling I won't regret it on long term...

Edited by sfnetwork
    On 2/24/2019 at 5:34 PM, mrbilky said:

i bit the bullet and ordered 2 of the cards this evening and was notified a few hours later that they are already in the system and heading my way!!!!

since it doesn't look like at this time that the Marvell card issues will be fixed im glad i went ahead and got the LSI cards. will update here when i get them installed and upgrade to the next RC build.

19 hours ago, truck24000 said:

i bit the bullet and ordered 2 of the cards this evening and was notified a few hours later that they are already in the system and heading my way!!!!

since it doesn't look like at this time that the Marvell card issues will be fixed im glad i went ahead and got the LSI cards. will update here when i get them installed and upgrade to the next RC build.

As someone who made the same decision. Good choice!