• [6.7.0 rc3] Mover slow and locks up system until complete

IamSpartacus
    • Minor

I can't say for sure this is RC3 but when my mover process kicks off, the WebUI becomes unresponsive as well as my SMB shares.  All my docker containers (docker image and appdata all stored on an unassinged SSD so completely separate from any disks involved in the mover process) become hung during the mover process as well.  I see the CPU usage (Xeon D-1541) at about 28-30% during the mover yet I have nothing else consuming CPU on the system during this mover process.  Both my BTRFS cache and my XFS array disks are encrypted.  Rolled back to 6.6.6 and the problem goes away.  Diagnostics for both 6.6.6 and 6.7RC3 attached.

6.6.6 -diagnostics-20190211-0957.zip

6.6.7RC3 -diagnostics-20190211-0947.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There appears to be some issues with encryption and slow writes with v6.7

I see.  I would swap back and forth between encrypted and non-encrypted array to test more if it were easy but I have too much data on my array to have to re-copy everything.

2 minutes ago, Niklas said:

I have tested it. ;)

Oh nice.  You must either have little data on your array or 1+ unencrypted drives to begin with.  Glad to know it's been tested though.

I had 3 encrypted drives (all my stuff still fits on 1 disk, 4TB). Moved everything and formatted the drive without encryption. Moving over to IronWolf so for now, I have 1 unencrypted and 1 encrypted drive. ;)

Edited by Niklas
    Just now, Niklas said:

I had 3 encrypted drives (all my stuff still fits on 1 disk). Moved everything and formatted the drive without encryption. Moving over to IronWolf so for now, I have 1 unencrypted and 1 encrypted drives. ;)

Nice, you're the perfect test case then.

I don't use encryption but was able to reproduce this issue, load average goes sky high and writes to the array with encryption enable, xfs or btrfs, are very slow, though encrypted cache seems unaffected, or at least much less so.

• Like 1
    52 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

I don't use encryption but was able to reproduce this issue, load average goes sky high and writes to the array with encryption enable, xfs or btrfs, are very slow, though encrypted cache seems unaffected, or at least much less so.

Sheesh.. I didn't change anything that would account for this... looking into it.