• [6.7.0 RC7] Minimum Free space ignored by Mover

Videodr0me
    • Solved Minor

I have the following phenomena. I have a file (38GB) to large to be moved to a certain disk of the array (disk 4) sitting on the cache drive. Also the relevant share is set to have minimum free space of 100gb and only 26GB are free on disk 4. There are other drives included in that share which have the required free space and have more than 100gb free.

Yet mover insists of moving the file to disk 4 with only 26gb free, failing of course. Then the file remains on the cachedrive and each daily mover run is like groundhog day repeating this.

Now, there is one thing i noticed. The subdirectory the file is in exists already on disk 4 and is empty. There are no other files in this subdirectory and it does not exist on any other disk (expect for the cache drive where it contains this one file). Could it be that this is the problem? Should i delete that empty subdir on disk4 and retry?

Never had this before 6.7.0 Rcs, but maybe its related?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Split settings override minimum space, either change split level or delete the folder form disk4.

• Like 1

It is very likely the problem!  In which case it is not a change in behaviour, but merely that you have not encountered the exact circumstance before.

In the case of any conflict about which disk to use then the Split Level setting takes precedence. What do you have set for the Split Level for the share, and what is the actual path name for the file?   It is possible that the Split Level setting is forcing a particular drive regardless of the Minimum Free Space setting.

• Like 1
    2 hours ago, itimpi said:

It is very likely the problem!  In which case it is not a change in behaviour, but merely that you have not encountered the exact circumstance before.

In the case of any conflict about which disk to use then the Split Level setting takes precedence. What do you have set for the Split Level for the share, and what is the actual path name for the file?   It is possible that the Split Level setting is forcing a particular drive regardless of the Minimum Free Space setting.

Yes! After deleting the directory, mover uses another disk just like it should. Consider this solved. Even though I would recommend adding something to the help text documenting this behaviour, because it is not obvious that the split level includes empty directories and that this takes precedent over the minimum space setting. At least it wasn't to me.