• [6.7.3-rc2]   Pass Thru GPU not reset back to original config when restart or shutdown VM

Paul_Ber
    • Urgent

[6.7.3-rc2]   Pass Thru GPU not reset back to original config when restart or shutdown VM.  The only time the VM will work is on a fresh boot of Unraid.   I had this same problem in 6.7.2.

unraid-diagnostics-20190802-0811.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

an MSI GT240 should not need the ROM file added for it, only the newer GTX 10 series and RTX cards should need that...  Older cards should boot with no special consideration...  You do still need to pass the entire IOMMU group, which means you need to make sure you also pass through:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT215 [GeForce GT 240] [10de:0ca3] (rev a2)
    	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] GT215 [GeForce GT 240] [1462:1995]
    01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be4] (rev a1)
    	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] High Definition Audio Controller [1462:1995]

Don't know if you did or not...

I would recommend moving this to the troubleshooting thread though, since this should not be an issue with 6.7.3 (mine is working fine, and nothing changed in 6.7.3 should affect this (updated kernel and docker revert))... If you do need to repost this, I would recommend that you include your VM XML file with the diagnostics as well...

Edited by Warrentheo

I have a 1070TI and after installing beta 2 seemed to break my GPU passthrough (I only got a black screen) and one CPU thread of the passed through ones to the same VM was also stuck on 100%.  Going back to stable seemed to fix it.  Only tried it once though.  Perhaps the two are related.

I have an EVGA GTX1070, and have 6.7.3-rc2 installed...  Has not given me an issue, I also would not expect the slightly updated linux kernel that came in rc1 to cause that sort of issue...  Not much has changed in rc 1 & 2...

Is it possible something in the upgrade process breaks something?  After I downgraded I actually had to reboot twice to get the GPU to even show up as a PCI device in Unraid at all.  Something isn't right.  I don't normally have any issue with GPU passthrough disappearing.  And I turn it on and off most days along with reboots every now and then, never an issue.  Along comes rc2 and straight away an issue.  Some kind of differing KVM version / kernel match perhaps?