• 6.8 RC3 Unaligned partial completion entries in log

page3
    • Closed

Hi

Had 6.8 RC3 running beautifully for a few days, but have noticed I'm getting the following log entries when backing up to sda:

Oct 22 03:15:01 Tower root: Starting Borg Backup - movies
    Oct 22 03:15:10 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Unaligned partial completion (resid=78, sector_sz=512)
    Oct 22 03:15:12 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Unaligned partial completion (resid=78, sector_sz=512)
    Oct 22 03:15:14 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Unaligned partial completion (resid=78, sector_sz=512)
    Oct 22 03:15:16 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Unaligned partial completion (resid=78, sector_sz=512)
    Oct 22 03:15:18 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Unaligned partial completion (resid=78, sector_sz=512)
    Oct 22 03:15:20 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Unaligned partial completion (resid=78, sector_sz=512)
    Oct 22 03:22:57 Tower root: Started Borg Pruning - movies

[sda] is an external WD MyBook 8Tb drive connected via USB3 and mounted via Unassigned Drives (XFS formatted). Backup is via Borg Backup (1.1.10) and has been working without these messages prior to 6.8.

The drive appears to pass smart and the backup appears to work. The backup logs also reports success.

6.7 does not give these log entries.

I've googled the issue, but to be honest it's a bit beyond me. Suggestions / advice would be helpful. :)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you. That at least points me in a direction to investigate.

Assume the issue with the drive firmware is only apparent with the latest kernel on Unraid 6.8.

Taken a long read of the issue, and to be honest it’s way above what I understand. There does not appear to be an updated firmware version for the drive and it isn’t obvious how to contribute to the discussion (or even if it is allowed).

A possible way of mitigating the issue is suggested  in the thread - rate limit the transfer. This can be done in Borg by doing the following https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/issues/661 which I’ll try to see if it helps.

In the meantime, if anyone is able to shed light on if this issue would affect my backups I’d be grateful. They do appear to still be working.

Thanks again and obviously close the thread if you feel it is no longer an Unraid issue, although I’d welcome any further help!

Edited by page3

The post referenced was written by a WD engineer.  Probably, or hopefully, or maybe - they will look at all their affected drives and make f/w changes.

This often happens in Linux kernel development - that a feature is added that makes use of documented functionality of a device, only to find out certain devices don't properly support the functionality.  Sometimes the vendor fixes the issues, but often they say, "meh - doesn't happen in windows, go kick rocks" - There is a whole kernel subsystem that implements "quirks", ie, workarounds to known broken h/w.  It's possible the developer will get fed up and just code a quirk for this device or family of devices.  In meantime, sorry to say, customer (that would be you) has to live with it.