• 6.8.0-rc1 server randomly restarts

Darqfallen
    • Closed

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Fans are working great, all fans reporting >5000rpm, ambient temp in the room is 25C, System Ambient is 30C, CPU1 36C, CPU2 40C. Didn't have this issue in 6.7.0, had a similar issue in 3.7.2 6.7.2. But didn't have the time to work on it so I had downgraded to 6.7.0 again

Edited by Darqfallen
    38 minutes ago, Darqfallen said:

Presuming you mean 6.7.2

Does nothing at all spit out on console?

This is tell-tale of memory issue.  You can try re-seating your RAM and maybe swap them around while at it.  Shake the tree and see if failure different.

Yes 6.7.2, nope, the only reason I know it restarts is I get the email a parity check has started,

I opened her up and pulled every stick of ram and swapped with its opposite bank. Went into the BIOS and then noticed the DDR3-10600 was running at DDR3-12800 (1333mhz vs 1600mhz), so I've dropped it back down to the proper speed and will monitor for stability. I will let you know in 12 hours or so if its still stable.

Server ran for 2 hours then spat out these errors and rebooted.

Oct 13 14:04:31 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 14:04:42 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 14:10:39 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 14:10:52 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 14:34:08 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:04:12 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:04:14 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:09:48 Dirge kernel: mce_notify_irq: 1 callbacks suppressed
    Oct 13 15:09:48 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:13:16 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:15:25 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:19:14 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:19:15 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:21:30 Dirge kernel: mce_notify_irq: 1 callbacks suppressed
    Oct 13 15:21:30 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    Oct 13 15:35:23 Dirge kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

So Im running a memtest to see if any memory modules have failed. I am not sure what that means.

I'm sorry but I didn't realize that the diagnostics didn't use the whole syslog. I posted above my diag of when it was crashing. Attached is  my whole syslog including the crashing.syslog.zip

I'm not sure what else to do, if I leave the server running on anything > 6.7.0 then it crashes and reboots every 1-4 hours.

There's likely some hardware issue, also supported by the MCE errors above, if it was me I would  start swapping/replacng things around, like RAM, board, PSU, etc.

Might well be that newer Unraid version addresses different parts of your RAM and makes the problem visible.

If you have mutliple RAM sticks, try a reduced number or change RAM completely.

Only if errors are detected is memtest definite, no errors isn't, also I didn't check your hardware, if you're using ECC RAM it won't detect any errors when they are correct, but the server will halt when there's an uncorrectable error.

So something in the kernel patch in 6.7.2 and 6.8.0-RC1 is causing my hardware to start throwing memory errors. And a memtest will not show bad memory due to it being ecc memory. How do you fully test ECC ram?

Most server boards have a system event log where those errors are logged, some have more details than others, e.g., identify or not the slot with problems.