• 6.8.0 RC6 - Starting "ALL" VM's causes VM's to disappear from Dashboard and VM tab

cybrnook
    • Solved Minor

Fired up my first VM from the VM tab in Unraid, and that started fine. Later, I started my second VM, only this time from the Dashboard page. Instantly the VM's disappeared from the VM section on Dashbaord as if I didn't have any, and now in the VM tab of Unraid it also appears as though I have no VM's installed even though they are up and running.

After manually stopping one of the VM's (virsh shutdown "vm name"), then they appear again in the menu's.

EDIT: We believe that now this is only triggering when ALL your defined VM's are started. As a temporary workaround define a blank VM that you have no intention of starting.

image.png.662fed722da92534bbda0fff5c3c869a.png

image.thumb.png.479b8307d4916ff8217798130926f421.png

image.thumb.png.cc36c245384340ed14963f28a159d9f0.png

image.png.c3e465ccda39d9dbf6a0923542c8a40c.png

image.png.d57ade6aaf509e9394062870f68ddafb.png

image.thumb.png.b9d9e3315a4e170c9e816c42a4bc05f7.png

noah-diagnostics-20191116-1623.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Check if there is no conflict between the two VMs you want to run.

Did you do hardware passthrough and both VMs share the same resources?

I have 4 VMs running and dashboard behaves correctly.

No conflicts that I am aware of, they have been the same VM's I had installed for the past 2 RC's and had no issues.

No HW passthrough, and VM's are utilizing different cores via CPU pinning.

And keep in mind, both VM's start fine, it just all disappears from the unraid GUI when I started the second VM (either one).

EDIT: Tried updating to Q35-4.1 for each, didn't change anything though.

Edited by cybrnook

Update to RC6, I also encounter this problem, but I only have one virtual machine. When I stop the virtual machine, it will be displayed on the page and disappear when I run it.

Just now, stl88083365 said:

Update to RC6, I also encounter this problem, but I only have one virtual machine. When I stop the virtual machine, it will be displayed on the page and disappear when I run it.

Please post diagnostics, because this issue is not reproducable.

It was already in the first post at the bottom.

But if it's just me, we can close it. I am in the process of rebuilding the VM's anyway.

Edited by cybrnook

Yup.  Start with no VMs running.  Start one VM from the dashboard.  OK.  Start another one and everything disappears.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

Yup.  Start with no VMs running.  Start one VM from the dashboard.  OK.  Start another one and everything disappears.

Nope, not reproducable for me

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

Check if there is no conflict between the two VMs you want to run.

No conflict, as there's no passthrough on any of my VMs

And, even if there was then it shouldn't disappear completely

Just now, bonienl said:

Are the VMs displayed properly on the VM page in this case?

Nope  Same as the pic in the OP.  VM and dashboard sections are empty stating no VMs defined

Both VMs are Windows 10.  One has a pass through video card.  Both VMs have been the same through all rc's.

I also see that the Libvirt Hotplug USB plugin is not able to get the VM status.  It shows no VMs running.

Mine are a Mac Catalina and a Mac Mojave with no passthrough on either.  While I never run them both simultaneously, I did for this troubleshooting.  They did work simultaneously an RC or 2 ago when I originally set them up.

Edited by Squid

The common denominator in both diagnostics not working, is this error (I don't have this in my log)

error : virConnectListDefinedDomains:6389 : names in virConnectListDefinedDomains must not be NULL

@limetech or @eschultz could this be the result from the updated libvirt version?

6 minutes ago, simono5 said:

I've upgraded this evening and my one Ubuntu VM is no longer displayed on the VM page.

I see the same error

error : virConnectListDefinedDomains:6389 : names in virConnectListDefinedDomains must not be NULL

Edited by bonienl
    8 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The common denominator in both diagnostics not working, is this error (I don't have this in my log)

@limetech or @eschultz could this be the result from the updated libvirt version?

Output from '/usr/sbin/virsh list --name --state-running':

DanLandon
    Handyman

The last line is a null line.  Problem here?

We did update libvirt from 5.7.0 to 5.9.0.  Ordinarily might think this is a fairly extensive update because minor digit updated but not patch digit.  But looking at libvirt releases they seem to never increment the patch digit.  Anyway we like to update both qemu and libvirt since they work so closely in tandem.  We'll take a closer look at this.

• Thanks 1

I have 2 running right now and can startup a 3rd with no issues. But I can't fire up all of them at once because a couple share ressources. From all the screens posted, it sounds like this only appears if ALL configured VMs are spun up, is this right?

Edited by bastl
    27 minutes ago, bastl said:

I have 2 running right now and can startup a 3rd with no issues. But I can't fire up all of them at once because a couple share ressources. From all the screens posted, it sounds like this only appears if ALL configured VMs are spun up, is this right?

Not necessarily. One user posted they get the issue with only the 1 x VM they have configured.

I also can confirm that it's not a multiple VM issue, as I deleted my Win 10 VM, leaving only my Debian VM. Even with just the Debian VM, firing that up alone caused the vanish.

Edited by cybrnook
    7 minutes ago, cybrnook said:

Not necessarily. One user posted they get the issue with only the 1 x VM they have configured.

Having just one VM configured and running is having all VM's running. :)