• [6.9.0 Beta 29] libvirt Unable to get devmapper targets

Ryanc1256
    • Solved Urgent

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

ok, my issue with devmapper and /dev/sr0 is solved.

Changed the guest xml, instead of passtrough the cdrom as a disk i passed trough as a scsi device and now is working.

(before this upgrade to beta29, if i used the scsi method to passtrough the cdrom i could only read the first disk, if i changed disk the guest would not read the second disk, now on beta 29 this is not happening...)

now i'll try to find a way around the vnc issue...

1 hour ago, btagomes said:

ok, my issue with devmapper and /dev/sr0 is solved.

Changed the guest xml, instead of passtrough the cdrom as a disk i passed trough as a scsi device and now is working.

(before this upgrade to beta29, if i used the scsi method to passtrough the cdrom i could only read the first disk, if i changed disk the guest would not read the second disk, now on beta 29 this is not happening...)

now i'll try to find a way around the vnc issue...

Will this work with real hdd/ssd devices as well?  I was in process of reverting to libvirt v6.5, maybe doing that is still the best course until the issue is officially fixed upstream?

1 hour ago, limetech said:

Will this work with real hdd/ssd devices as well?  I was in process of reverting to libvirt v6.5, maybe doing that is still the best course until the issue is officially fixed upstream?

I don't know, i have no issues with hdd/ssd devices. I have sata and nvme ssds and they are working great, same with nvme passtrough, and array disks are working ok too. Only issues i've had are:

-Dvdrom passtrough to guest vm.

-Npt and nrip-save features on guest cpu definition.

-Novnc conection to guest (working fine in vnc trough guacamole).

So far, no more issues, my log files are clean...

I’ve tried everything I can physically try and still no luck passing through any ssd or hdd.

Some people have suggested 6.7.0 has solved their problems but I’m unsure how to manually update libvirt.

but I need it to work so I’ve reverted back to beta 25 for the time being but quite happy to test it if there is a potential fix 

Edited by Ryanc1256

I tried compiling libvirt v6.8.0 (released today 😃 ) myself but since I don't know exactly what build options @limetech uses I can't start the daemon successfully.

That's the error message:

Oct 1 07:55:25 DevServer root: Starting virtlockd...
    Oct 1 07:55:25 DevServer root: Starting virtlogd...
    Oct 1 07:55:25 DevServer root: Starting libvirtd...
    Oct 1 07:55:25 DevServer root: /usr/sbin/libvirtd: error: Unable to initialize network sockets. Check /var/log/messages or run without --daemon for more info.
    Oct 1 07:55:25 DevServer emhttpd: shcmd (253): exit status: 1
    Oct 1 07:55:25 DevServer emhttpd: shcmd (255): umount /etc/libvirt

Or if I try it the other way around and don't kill virtlockd in the first place:

Oct  1 07:50:04 DevServer root: Resize '/etc/libvirt' of 'max'
    Oct  1 07:50:04 DevServer emhttpd: shcmd (111): /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt start
    Oct  1 07:50:04 DevServer root: virtlockd is already running...
    Oct  1 07:50:04 DevServer emhttpd: shcmd (111): exit status: 1
    Oct  1 07:50:04 DevServer emhttpd: shcmd (113): umount /etc/libvirt

These were all attempts installing the package by hand after the server has started, I'm not sure if I should try and integrate the package into bzroot with my Unraid-Kernel-Helper and then try it again but I think it would be the same...

10 hours ago, Ryanc1256 said:

Some people have suggested 6.7.0 has solved their problems but I’m unsure how to manually update libvirt.

Who are these people? :)

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

Who are these people?

I think he is talking about me, think we wrote about the 6.7.0 in the official release thread about that, but nobody said that it works... :D

3 hours ago, limetech said:

Who are these people? :)

I just was reading through some reddit posts and some forum posts :). But i've also seen that 6.7.0 doesn't help some people... it's a bit hit and miss haha

Edited by Ryanc1256
    Added quote
    21 hours ago, limetech said:

Current plan is to revert back to libvirt-6.5 but we are going to try and test libvirt-6.8 today though I don't see any commit that references this issue:

https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/commits/master

Not even sure how libvirt team manages post-release bug fixes.  Their "maintenance" branches seem to end with v5.3.

please let us all know how you get on with that. After approx 1 year with a break from using UNRAID, jumped straight in to 6.9b25 and now 29 - really impressed but then I had this issue.

Also getting this issue. The new beta fixed VM issues i was having with beta 25(a windows VM with ATI card was not starting) but has now borked my Blue Iris VM with this disk issue.

14 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

please let us all know how you get on with that. After approx 1 year with a break from using UNRAID, jumped straight in to 6.9b25 and now 29 - really impressed but then I had this issue.

I think they will fix it in the next release of Unraid, for the time revert back to beta25 and you are good to go.

Also note that this is a beta release and some things maybe won't work, now this is such a thing. ;)

• Thanks 1
    3 hours ago, ich777 said:

I think they will fix it in the next release of Unraid, for the time revert back to beta25 and you are good to go.

Also note that this is a beta release and some things maybe won't work, now this is such a thing. ;)

OK. What is the easiest way to revert back now? There is no downgrade option so I assume i have to replace a file on the flash drive?

10 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

OK. What is the easiest way to revert back now? There is no downgrade option so I assume i have to replace a file on the flash drive?

There should be the option to revert back to the previous version on the update page.

If not download the beta25 from here: Click

And replace all the files that start with 'bz' on your USB boot device from the zip archive.

Reboot the server and you are back on beta25. ;)

EDIT: Don't replace everything, you risk to overwrite your setting!

• Like 1

if you have the CA Appdata Backup/Restore app installed, it will backup the USB drive.

I'm not sure if this is default or the backup app, I just went to /Tools/Update and hit the restore and rebooted and now im back on beta 25.

When will this be fixed? If i made a wm10 vm using q35 5.1 and downgrade unraid to beta 25 and use q35 5.0 instead. Will i need another win10 license?