• [6.9.0 - Beta 30] Moving a file on the cache to a share with cache off keeps it on there forever

lp0101
    • Closed

Say I have two user shares, a and b. a has the cache set to "yes," b has the cache set to "off."

I have a file, foo, on a which is currently on the cache, and I run the following command:

mv /mnt/user/a/foo /mnt/user/b/

foo is instantly moved to share b, however, the file itself is still on the cache. If I check the contents of my cache drive, I see `/mnt/cache/b/foo`. Since the cache behaviour of share b is set to "no," this file is now stuck on the cache, unless I manually set b to "yes" for the cache, invoke the mover, then set it back to "no." Without this manual intervention, my cache drive would fill up endlessly.

Is this intended behaviour, or a bug?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

This is intended behaviour.    There are some Use Cases that exploit this behavior.

Interesting. The bug report forum probably isn't the best place to discuss this, then, but what is the recommended way to move a file from a cached share to a non-cached share? Is it recommended to first run a copy, then delete the original?

Yes, you need to use copy/delete if you want the file to end up on a different drive.    It is a quirk of the Linux implementation of the ‘mv’ where if source and target appear to be on the same mount point (/mnt/user) a rename is issued (which leaves the file on the same drive) rather than a copy/delete action.

• Thanks 1

You can use:

mv /mnt/user/a/foo /mnt/user0/b/

to have it moved outside cache

edit: will not work for mover though, but if You have something specific You could make a custom scheduled script or something

Edited by mihu