• [6.9.0 beta 35] Cache Drive Errors

nickp85
    • Closed

Been on 6.9 since beta 30 and today I started having cache drive errors repeatedly and going into read only mode.  When I upgraded to 6.9 I changed to the different partition format for SSDs and rebuilt my cache.  I have 2 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB in the cache and they both have about 120TBW, rated for 500GB.

I was in the middle of using my Windows 10 VM to play a game when the VM locked up, then I tried to navigate around the Unraid GUI and found that also to be giving me problems.  I ended up triggering a reboot from the web GUI and it had to force shut down and restart.  After reboot I have a lot of errors showing.

Attaching any logs I could find.

nicknas2-diagnostics-20201128-1550.zip syslog-127.0.0.1.log

UPDATE: Ended up using mover to get everything off my cache to the array and then erase/format and then move back.  It was able to move everything off but was definitely haven't trouble deleting it after it was moved.  Also had to restart the array a couple times to get mover to move everything.  All smooth since the format.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This was a filesystem problem:

Nov 28 15:16:22 nicknas2 kernel: BTRFS: error (device nvme0n1p1) in __btrfs_free_extent:3066: errno=-2 No such entry
    Nov 28 15:16:22 nicknas2 kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme0n1p1): forced readonly

If you reformatted cache you already did what needed to be done, closing this since it's a general support issue.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

This was a filesystem problem:

Nov 28 15:16:22 nicknas2 kernel: BTRFS: error (device nvme0n1p1) in __btrfs_free_extent:3066: errno=-2 No such entry
    Nov 28 15:16:22 nicknas2 kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme0n1p1): forced readonly

If you reformatted cache you already did what needed to be done, closing this since it's a general support issue.

I’m not so sure this is general support. I just rebuilt my cache after initially going to 6.9 a couple months back to get the new benefits. All I use the cache for is Docker/Libvirt images, a windows 10 VM C drive image and appdata. I also use it to speed up processing of downloaded content to the array.

would it be normal that the file system would die after such a short period of time?

It can happen with for example an unclean shutdown, or some hardware issue like bad RAM, and at most could be a btrfs issue, not Unraid.