• 6.9.0 Beta 35 - VM - vfio Issue

almulder
    • Urgent

Need a fix as I Need VM's with passthrough ASAP!

I am trying to creat a windows 10 VM and pass through a usb and nvme, I went into tools/system devices and located the 2 I needed and checked them to bind to vfio and rebooted. 

Then went into the vm and tried to create the VM, but upon clicking create I get an error:

image.png.ef581bef8e56c6104c60992c6e4a184b.png.2cab700c97c9f98ba7a874c074e4b5dc.png

Group 14 is my nvme that I want to use as my boot drive in the VM.

image.thumb.png.9a3335d3aa099b9f461aab6759bb2679.png.b053b04805087a590736be158c128ff0.png

I have tried setting the VM Settings to, Downstream, MultiFunction and Both in the options (A reboot between each try) and same result.

Attatched is my diagnostics from after my last attempt with Both enabled.

Also I have fast boot turned off, and boot into legacy mode.

tower-diagnostics-20201119-1237.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

So does nobody else have issue passing devices through to VM in the beta 35? Really want to get this working so I can make the VM my daily driver and Gaming Setup. I need to pass through an NVME that is group 14, and group 19 for my usb, and then I have an RTC 2070 to pass through for graphics. I have tried to just pass through group 14 and no luck same error, tried passing through just group 19 again same error. Have not tried graphics yet as I have heard that is best to wait until after you get the VM up and working corectly.

Also here is my System info.

image.png.978b8f7b15b8258ebc986a526cbd7433.png

On 12/1/2020 at 5:58 PM, almulder said:

So does nobody else have issue passing devices through to VM in the beta 35? Really want to get this working so I can make the VM my daily driver and Gaming Setup. I need to pass through an NVME that is group 14, and group 19 for my usb, and then I have an RTC 2070 to pass through for graphics. I have tried to just pass through group 14 and no luck same error, tried passing through just group 19 again same error. Have not tried graphics yet as I have heard that is best to wait until after you get the VM up and working corectly.

Also here is my System info.

image.png.978b8f7b15b8258ebc986a526cbd7433.png

You could pass it as vdisk or try and pass it via unassigned devices via dev/mnt...

Also are you editing existing vm setup? If so have you tried new vm setup with what you want.

Edited by turnipisum
    22 hours ago, turnipisum said:

You could pass it as vdisk or try and pass it via unassigned devices via dev/mnt...

Also are you editing existing vm setup? If so have you tried new vm setup with what you want.

That will have no effect on the USB that needs to be passed through. This seems to be an issue with QEMU needes to be updated within the code. Looks like there is another user that dug into this. Just seems odd other 35 beta users that do pass through have not reported the issue. I am trying to create a VM and it keeps failing, and nobody else seems to speak up. I was hoping it was an easy fix as I upgraded my server to also run a daily driver VM, but unable to set that up yet due to the errors comming up.

Still looking for a solution

4 hours ago, almulder said:

That will have no effect on the USB that needs to be passed through. This seems to be an issue with QEMU needes to be updated within the code. Looks like there is another user that dug into this. Just seems odd other 35 beta users that do pass through have not reported the issue. I am trying to create a VM and it keeps failing, and nobody else seems to speak up. I was hoping it was an easy fix as I upgraded my server to also run a daily driver VM, but unable to set that up yet due to the errors comming up.

Still looking for a solution

The creation error in your first post is related to the iommu group 14 which is the disk your trying to pass through is it not? So usb might be working but it just doesn't get past the disk issue.

Edited by turnipisum
    41 minutes ago, turnipisum said:

The creation error in your first post is related to the iommu group 14 which is the disk your trying to pass through is it not? So usb might be working but it just doesn't get past the disk issue.

I have skipped that and tried just the USB and same issue. Anything I try and pass through gives the error. 

3 hours ago, turnipisum said:

Ok what about bios then is set for iommu? what motherboard is it?

Yes Bio is set to IOMMU and set to enabled (Not Auto).

However I had not tried "VFIO allow unsafe interrupts" (Did not even notice that option) and now it seems to be working with both being pased through. I will test more once windows gets installed and then pass through graphics, but nvme was found without issue and installing.

Thanks so much for this info.

45 minutes ago, almulder said:

Yes Bio is set to IOMMU and set to enabled (Not Auto).

However I had not tried "VFIO allow unsafe interrupts" (Did not even notice that option) and now it seems to be working with both being pased through. I will test more once windows gets installed and then pass through graphics, but nvme was found without issue and installing.

Thanks so much for this info.

Great news! hopefully you'll be all good then. 👍 

• Like 1