• [6.9.0-beta1] Internal Error/IOMMU group container failure for USB PCIe card passthrough / unRAID itself is unable to use the card

fireflower
    • Closed

The problematic card:
    Card: Allegro USB-C 4-port PCIe
    https://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegro-usbc-4port-pcie.html
    Use case for card: 4x 10Gbit USB-C connections for cold backup drives / USB nics / etc. 

I have waited pretty patiently for unRAID to have 5.X kernel with drivers to use this card but then turns out unRAID has a problem with this card. Because unRAID refused to use the card itself, I tried to passthrough it to VM to test some of my USB-C cards but I get the error below. I tried first XML editing for passthrough and then blacklisting the device. Got the same error with both ways.

internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2020-03-20T17:17:14.681758Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:05:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: vfio 0000:05:00.0: failed to setup container for group 15: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted
    internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2020-03-20T17:31:44.966753Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:06:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: vfio 0000:06:00.0: failed to setup container for group 16: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted

I am happy to try any possible fixes.

rs1-diagnostics-20200320-1933.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Tried to disable IOMMU (Virtualization support) groups in bios like somebody suggested, well the card works now in unraid with keyboards at least.

Cannot say it is a solution though because doing this practically makes unRAID then unable to run virtual machines or containers, which then again is like why even bother using unRAID?

Wanted to check the card actually works properly in other distros, so took Linux Mint 19.3 and it was able to use the card with IOMMU groups enabled and create VM's and give access to one of the controllers on the card for that VM.

The fix would be very much appreciated. 

Reporting:

This card still has issues with unRAID 6.9 beta22 release.

Somebody asked me to try ACS patch boot options and that way I got card's both hosts or single host passed to VM or let unRAID use other but the problem is the card does not work in unRAID or VM's guest OS (tried Fedora 31)

Which is expected result because IOMMU groups are not anymore respected but the card still won't work under unRAID with IOMMU on. I think I will next try the card with newer hardware and see might this just be somekind mobo / bios incompatibility which I hear are a rare thing.

Okay, I found a workaround for me that lets me use VM's, dockers and I don't have to go into bios to disable IOMMU which disables virtualization (Thanks Dell!)

Boot option: iommu=soft and you can use the USB device on Dell R410. Confirmed the card working newer hardware correctly with unRAID so it was a host hardware problem all along. 

I don't need IOMMU isolation so desperately for PCIE passthrough on my machine but it would have been nice but this should work also because I can still run dockers & VM's.

• Thanks 1