• 6.9.0-beta25 Creation of New VM yields drive space of 0mb for client OS

DieFalse
    • Minor

I have attempted to install Linux VMs and Windows VMs.

When creating I set 120-240GB depending on which I want at the time.

Loading the Client OS Installer, selecting the created virtual hard drive - it shows no space available or partitionable.

Vdisk.img = 56kb in size.

I believe that the VM Creation tool is not provisioning QCow or raw drives space correctly.

Image from WIn10 install post-driver installation shows the drive with zero space for easier clarity.

UnraidBUG-Store.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@limetech, I can confirm for the listed options in the create VM screenshot of qcow that it indeed creates a very small sparse file in my b25 test install

I'm torn about the urgent label, but I'm going to let it stand until reviewed by @bonienl and company.

However, the sparse qcow file does indeed expand appropriately during install, so I failed to replicate the actual issue.

Edited by jonathanm
    Updated

Sorry, thought I mentioned in the post,

Either raw or qcow does the same for me.  On all 3 servers I tried.   Two Intel, one amd.

6 hours ago, jonp said:

Out of curiosity if you pick RAW instead of qcow, does the behavior go away?

In my testing when RAW is selected, it creates a vdisk of the right size (120G)

(I took the exact same settings as in the screenshot above)

qcow gives a vdisk of 19 Kb (incorrect size).

Edited by bonienl
    11 hours ago, bonienl said:

qcow gives a vdisk of 19 Kb (incorrect size).

That is probably correct.  qcow2 auto-expands as necessary.  With VM stopped you can navigate to where the vdisk image file is stored and type:

qemu-img info vdisk1.img  # or whatever filename it is

Should show the correct "virtual size".

I can confirm the qcow file is indeed behaving correctly for me during the install process. Sorry for the initial alarm, I didn't go beyond getting the apparent size and allocated size for the created file, which obviously behaves quite differently than the raw file.

btw: I don't see the point at this time of using qcow2 format.  Even with raw, qemu will create a sparse file, and if the backing file system is btrfs you get snapshot and ref-copy capability.

Using virtio instead of Sata did work for WIndows 10.  Using raw with linux worked.    Odd things,  but I can confirm I am good now.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:02 PM, fmp4m said:

Using virtio instead of Sata did work for WIndows 10.  Using raw with linux worked.    Odd things,  but I can confirm I am good now.

Out of curiosity, how old is that installation media for Windows 10 that you're trying to use?  Can you try to download a new ISO from here (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and see if that works with SATA + QCOW2?  I just did this test and do not have the issue you have. 

New ISO created out of the Media Creation Tool   -   Wanted to make sure it had all the latest patches.   I don't keep a cached copy.

And your server wasn't getting close to running out of space on the storage where the vdisk was, correct?  This is just really odd that I can't recreate the original issue you were seeing.

Hi JonP sorry for the delay,   I checked and no,  I have over 2TB available.  Cache was balanced and scrubbed.   I have no idea why it can't be recreated.   There may be something wrong with my setup - I've posted a couple issues that got worked through and a couple untouched in general, however I have had time-outs occur when updating dockers and dockers disappearing because of it, as well as really sluggish web gui responses in general.   Can't seem to nail it down at this point - and generic posts tend to yield no results.   Maybe its related to my system only?