• 6.9.0-beta25 VM Name Change issue

FlorinB
    • Minor

Hi,

Changing VM name leads to impossibility to edit save the VM config afterwise.

It hangs in Updating...

I have noticed this since version 6.8.x, but looks it still remains under 6.9 as well.

Althrough it is a "minor" issue, I was struggling a while to find the reason.

Example: 

image.png.6b85410be00ba4d36ec2d976928487fd.png

The initial vm name was "Windows Server 2019" and I have added after VM creation _1 at the end.

The result: It hangs in updating.

image.png.96c7a0373c10e5390b1bb3d8cb1eec25.png

Best regards,

Florin

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It's been doing this for ages (for me at least).

If the drive images are not in a folder that matches the machine name then you can't update it because the vDisk location defaults to "Auto".

Change this to Manual and it works fine.

This needs changing really - if the location doesn't match auto, can the editor show Manual and the real location?

Any chance this could be acknowledged and marked for a future fix (even if it's not in 6.9) ?

To reproduce:

Make a VM with a disk (I called it TEST). Don't set it to start straight after creating.

Change the name of the VM (to TEST2 for example).

Edit the VM (I changed the memory allocation).

Click "UPDATE" and wait...

Give up and click on the "VMS" tab to get away from the hang. Note that on going back in to Edit the VM, your change didn't stick.

Workaround:

When editing the VM (in "FORM VIEW") note that the "Primary vDisk location" is set to "Auto" and has the wrong path (based on the updated name). Change that to "Manual" and it finds the right path with the original name.

Make other changes and "UPDATE".

Note that if you go back into edit the VM the "Primary vDisk location" is still on "Auto" and pointing to the incorrect location. Any other changes you try to make will need the same "Manual" switch.

I think the bug is that the "Primary vDisk location" sticks on Auto and won't change to Manual. (Perhaps due to the way the VM was created, or because the file is in the regular "domains" share, named vdisk1.img ... )

Thank you guys!

This one has been bugging me for ages. Any time I go to edit a VM from the GUI I always forget to toggle that damn vDisk back to manual.