• [6.9.0-rc2] Extended SMART self test aborted by host due to spindown

John_M
    • Annoyance

If an extended SMART self test takes longer than the configured spin-down delay for the array disk, then the disk spins down and the self test is aborted. This behaviour is different from previous versions, where spin-down was temporarily suspended until after the self-test had completed. The message "SMART self test in progress" appears but the spin-down prevention doesn't operate.

pusok-diagnostics-20210120-0317.zip (I know the unassigned Hitachi disk is totally shot!)

• Like 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I seem to have the same issue. I'm setting up a new Unraid server with the same version right now and the drives are unable to finish a SMART extended test. In fact, I don't even see the error message mentioned by the original poster, it just is as if the test never even started - both the self-test log and the last smart test result pretend that no test ever ran. I just added a fourth drive, the system is now in the clearing state and seems to have started a SMART test on all drives. I disabled the spindown just to be sure and will see what happens tomorrow.

For what its worth, regarding the priority: I don't think this is an annoyance. While it is certainly not urgent, I think it is quite critical that the system isn't able to reliably do SMART tests on the drives.

Edited by Strayer
    2 hours ago, Strayer said:

I disabled the spindown just to be sure and will see what happens tomorrow.

Diasbling the spin-down allows the self-test to complete. If yours doesn't then you have some other problem.

33249084_ScreenShot2021-01-31at00_02_12.png.507cab307d89815fce18ce2b8a02717a.png

2 hours ago, Strayer said:

I don't think this is an annoyance. While it is certainly not urgent, I think it is quite critical that the system isn't able to reliably do SMART tests on the drives.

This bug doesn't cause data loss or crash the server and it doesn't affect functionality either because long self-tests are run infrequently and on the occasion one does need to be run you can work round it by disabling the spin-down. By the Priority Definitions (on the right) it is therefore an Annoyance.

Edited by John_M
    Added screenshot
    7 hours ago, John_M said:

This bug doesn't cause data loss or crash the server and it doesn't affect functionality either because long self-tests are run infrequently and on the occasion one does need to be run you can work round it by disabling the spin-down. By the Priority Definitions (on the right) it is therefore an Annoyance.

Sorry, didn’t want to sound pretentious! Just wanted to put in context that I personally find this functionality very important for my peace of mind. The self-test that was started yesterday evening is still running, so it seems to be fine for now with disabled spin down. I will do some more tests when the self-test is done.

7 hours ago, John_M said:

Diasbling the spin-down allows the self-test to complete. If yours doesn't then you have some other problem.

Yes, I wondered about this too. I’m pretty sure this is a related problem though since the spin-down was still enabled then… I definitely started the extended tests, because I monitored the progress for a few hours. Next day every mention of the test was gone, even in the SMART self-test log, which I found very weird. Since this is a pretty clean and fresh install the only thing that comes to mind is the spin down I configured to 15 minutes.

Edited by Strayer

I think if self-tests were run automatically at intervals I'd be more concerned about it but, in fact, they are entirely optional. There's nothing to be gained by banging a drum and declaring that "this" bug is more important than "that" bug. Looking at other reports, it's clear that the whole spin-up, spin-down, SMART temperature reading mechanism had been re-written recently and there are a few issues with it. I'm sure they'll all be sorted out together in the next rc.

• Like 2

I've just re-tested with Unraid 6.9.0 and the situation is unchanged.

I'll open a report on the Stable page.