• [6.9.0-rc2] Samba share 'dev' no longer supported.

Baltostar

Note: I have a workaround in place for this issue, so mostly calling it out here for awareness.

Description:

I have a share called 'dev'. After upgrading to 6.9.0-rc2, the share is no longer accessible from the network and isn't shown on the 'shares' tab.

Troubleshooting:

• Downgraded to stable branch. Share became accessible. Upgraded to rc2 again, the share then disappeared again.
    • Verified the drive path still exists so no data was lost.
    • Tried adding 'dev' as a share while the share name is already on disk and got the following error: "Do not use reserved names"

Workaround:

I created a simbolic link with a new share folder called dev2 to point to dev. Luckily I didn't have to many scripts on the network to update to the new path.

Conclusion:

It seams the updated samba has reserved names and that 'dev' is one of them. Based on that, This may not be considered a bug. If that is the case, then recommending it to fix common problems as part of the upgrade check.

Unable to attach diagnostics.zip for this ticket as pc has been acting up prior to update (and won't complete the tools/diagnostics script after the update) where I used the update to give me a bootable state as the machine only booted correctly in safe mode. (I spent most of a day trying to figure out bios issues and don't want to spend more time on that, opting for the update) The share issue I was able to confirm in safe mode for both versions so I felt that was worth reporting.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@Baltostar, this may have been added as reserved due to the changed for Unassigned Drive names that was introduced.