• Big Sur missing Xserve sidebar glyph

CS01-HS

Maybe an oversight by Apple or maybe intentional.

NAS is my unraid server.

940981563_ScreenShot2020-11-17at5_47_08AM.png.ef1b34fe0086a946b55f44aaf12ca4e0.png

The closest supported server type I found was macpro-2019-rackmount so I customize the smb.service with the following script:

cp -u /etc/avahi/services/smb.service /etc/avahi/services/smb.service.disabled
    cp /boot/extras/avahi/smb.service /etc/avahi/services/
    chmod 644 /etc/avahi/services/smb.service
    touch /etc/avahi/services/smb.service.disabled

Where /boot/extras/avahi/smb.service looks like:

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
    <!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM 'avahi-service.dtd'>
    <!-- Generated settings: -->
    <service-group>
     <name replace-wildcards='yes'>%h</name>
     <service>
      <type>_smb._tcp</type>
      <port>445</port>
     </service>
     <service>
      <type>_device-info._tcp</type>
      <port>0</port>
      <txt-record>model=MacPro7,1@ECOLOR=226,226,224</txt-record>
     </service>
    </service-group>

which gives me this:

467124774_ScreenShot2020-11-17at5_55_00AM.png.501846d0d9189f04629435881bc192b8.png

Poking around I found a pretty good server glyph in an assets package (server.rack.svg) but it's not a recognized bonjour type and I don't know how to add it.

2112585361_ScreenShot2020-11-17at5_41_47AM.png.17dca0eb0553b45609a8a0c51f8ef9e2.png

• Like 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

That must surely be a problem with Big Sur. Both the icon in the main Finder window and the smaller one in the sidebar are fine in High Sierra (Unraid servers are Lapulapu (6.9.0-beta35), Mandaue (6.8.3) and Northolt (6.8.3)).

327904415_ScreenShot2020-11-18at00_51_33.png.1cc97f140716da4c35582b795a3c6a91.png

• Like 1

I set it up as a user script to run hourly but honestly can't remember why.

It would make sense to put those lines in config/go so it's run on startup, but maybe that doesn't work because smb.service is overwritten on array start?

The fix for that would be to set the user script to run on array start but I didn't do that either, strange.

Maybe Apple made the decision to stop providing icons for hardware it hasn't manufactured for a number of years. I see two possible ways forward:

• Ask Apple to consider reversing that decision
    • Make a feature request for Unraid to specify a different icon

I suspect the second is the more likely to be successful. If I'm honest, I think the new Apple icons are more for decoration than for giving meaningful information, anyway.

11 hours ago, John_M said:

Maybe Apple made the decision to stop providing icons for hardware it hasn't manufactured for a number of years. I see two possible ways forward:

• Ask Apple to consider reversing that decision
    • Make a feature request for Unraid to specify a different icon

I suspect the second is the more likely to be successful. If I'm honest, I think the new Apple icons are more for decoration than for giving meaningful information, anyway.

The icon is correctly visible in the same view like the screenshot you attached above, the only bug about it is the small icon in the sidebar that appears as a generic blank sheet.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:12 PM, CS01-HS said:

The fix for that would be to set the user script to run on array start but I didn't do that either, strange.

I will try that.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:12 PM, CS01-HS said:

I set it up as a user script to run hourly but honestly can't remember why.

I probably understood why, this morning I set a new icon (Macmini) manually in the smb.service file, everything worked until now, I don't know how, but the Xserve icon returned.

• Like 1
    10 hours ago, Gian Marco Cinalli said:

The icon is correctly visible in the same view like the screenshot you attached above, the only bug about it is the small icon in the sidebar that appears as a generic blank sheet.

How does that make it an Unraid bug?

19 minutes ago, Gian Marco Cinalli said:

In fact it isn't, it's just a Bug Sur bug.

Which was my point back in November!

On 11/18/2020 at 1:04 AM, John_M said:

That must surely be a problem with Big Sur.

This is a place for reporting bugs in the current pre-release version Unraid, not other operating systems.

2 hours ago, John_M said:

This is a place for reporting bugs in the current pre-release version Unraid, not other operating systems.

I assumed Apple was phasing out old model types, in which case it'd make sense for unraid to use a more recent one. But right, maybe they just forgot and plan to fix it.

This is still an issue. The Xserve glyph seems to be removed for good. (Tested on macOS 12 Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258)).

I think that if it's a mistake on Apple's side, they would have fixed it since the initial Big Sur release. Even the last major OS release didn't add the glyph back.

It would be nice if UNRAID could just change the default to the Mac Pro rackmount icon. The current "file" icon is somewhat confusing.

(TrueNAS also uses "model=MacPro7,1@ECOLOR=226,226,224")

Also, for now I'd recommend the following script (if you don't want the file icon). This will replace the model=Xserve with the correct model for the Mac Pro rackmount icon. If the file ever changes in future UNRAID versions, this should still work.

sed -i -e 's/model=Xserve/model=MacPro7,1@ECOLOR=226,226,224/g' /etc/avahi/services/smb.service

I set it to run at "Array Startup", but I didn't restart my UNRAID server just yet. I just manually ran the script once (which worked).

Edited by TheJulianJES

FYI I opened a feature request for this as it's still an issue and I didn't see any others open.

Also, I used TheJuianJES's script and run it at array startup but had to throw in a 60 second sleep before it since something else was wiping smb.service right after it made the change. I haven't been running it for long so it's possible something else will come by and reset it after a while.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:50 PM, TheJulianJES said:
    sed -i -e 's/model=Xserve/model=MacPro7,1@ECOLOR=226,226,224/g' /etc/avahi/services/smb.service

My full script below

#!/bin/bash
    sleep 60
    /etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

Edited by thellamapaul