• can't reformat array disks to zfs encryption V6.12.0-rc2

I Enjoy Creating Videos
    • Closed Minor

unraid won't let me reformat my array disks to zfs encryption V6.12.0-rc2
    this is what i tried to do

1 stopped the array
    2 went to disk 4 in the array and changed format to use "ZFS encryption" clicked Apply 
    3 started the array
    4 went back to disk 4 says unmountable: unsupported or no file system 
    5 went down to the bottom of the page and clicked the little check box that says format the drive
    6 then clicked the "format button"
    7 went back up to the top of the page 
    8 says drive is formatting then it stops and says drive is "unmountable: unsupported or no file system" 
    9 tried reformatting multilabel times still same thing but if i go back to xfs encryption or btrfs encryption it will work fine. i even tried to wipe out the partition first by using unassigned device plugin to erase the old format' it still fails to format the disk in zfs Encryption

Just wanted to make you aware of the bug 

Thank you for your time have a nice week. :) 

sapphire-diagnostics-20230318-0255.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

not the cache pools but the array has 4 disks i was trying to format the last to disks 3 and 4 from xfs encryption to ZFS encryption but it would not let me when i try to format it it fails

are you saying that all 4 disks in the array have to be wiped and then format them to zfs encryption all at once no mixing some xfs and others zfs?

Thanks for your reply :) 

i also had the same type of issue when i tried to make a pool of just one disk i named it zzz pool then i had one disk and set it to zfs encryption and it would fail to format the disk' but if i made the same pool zzz and then said 2 disks but then only installed one disk on slot one then it would let me set the setting to "ZFS encryption" and then "stripe" and then "1 group" and then start the array up and it would let me format it then i can stop the array and remove the other slot 2 from the pool zzz that was empty and it will then work fine with just the one drive kinda weird but it worked.

the only problem is i can't do that in the array disks because they fail to format 

but on the bright side i was able to make a raidz1 pool with 5 disks and they formatted just fine

but then later i tried to make a new config to remove some of the array disks and set it to save the layout of cache pools and array disks and it did save it but then when i tried to start the array it blew out the raidz1 5 disk it wanted me to reformat and i could not get it to re input the raidz1 pool so i went back to V6.11.5 until zfs and the bugs get worked out 

Thanks for your time have a wonderful week :)  

I tested your scenario. There is indeed a bug.

Converting XFS to ZFS (and other way around) works fine, but converting an encrypted XFS disk to an encrypted ZFS disk fails. The formatting does not succeed.

Thanks for reporting.

Btw converting an encrypted XFS disk to regular ZFS (unencrypted) works fine.

hi Bonienl,

Your very welcome i'm glad i could help some by reporting the bug and thank you for testing it and letting me know what you found i really appreciate it 

if you don't mind looking at my other post i had made another bug report about having a issue with "array disks" and "unassigned device" disks that when i put them to spin down they would spin down then wake backup after 50 to 55 seconds and if i watch the activity something was causing it to read the disks 16.5kbs even when nothing was using the disks i think unraid is pinging the disks maybe smart read checks or something 

anyways thank you for all your help i appreciate it :) 

On 3/20/2023 at 12:22 PM, bonienl said:

Converting XFS to ZFS

Excuse my stupid question, but what does that mean exactly? Is data safe during that process or does it simply mean that a XFS formatted disks can be reformatted to ZFS without preserving data?

15 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Is data safe during that process or does it simply mean that a XFS formatted disks can be reformatted to ZFS without preserving data?

The latter.

• Thanks 1

I just wanted to give and update i upgraded to V6.12.0-rc3 and i am now able to encrypt my hard drives to zfs Encryption so this problem seems to now be solved for me

Thanks to everyone who worked hard to get this fixed i really appreciate it :)