• Code43 on Primary GPU Passthrough in 6.10rc2

bigbangus
    • Solved Minor

@ich777 recommended I open a bug report based on our conversation here 

Please see diagnostics attached. If the dev team has time to look at it I'd be very grateful.

Basically, going from 6.9.2 -> 6.10rc2 gives me a code43 on my primary GPU passthrough for any new or previously existing Win10 VM and any new Win11 VM.

I've tried everything I can think of (see thread above) and nothing seems to fix the issue. I've rolled back to 6.9.2 in the meantime, but if you need any further diagnostics I'm happy to upgrade again and try some things out to provide more information. 

Thanks!

unraidnas-diagnostics-20211103-1340 (1).zip

• Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Fixed it. The solution was just to upgrade my Win10 VM nvidia driver which was from 2020/09. It turns out that since 465.89 (2021/03) Nvidia has allowed virtual machines. For whatever reason 6.9.2 was allowing me to cheat the old driver and 6.10 wasn't. 

Edited by bigbangus
    • Like 1

Interesting. I upgraded driver to 465.89 (or newer, tested multiple) for my GTX 760 and still cannot get passthrough to work like it did in 6.9.2. Error 43 in Windows 10 client.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:16 AM, CodingMicrobe said:

Interesting. I upgraded driver to 465.89 (or newer, tested multiple) for my GTX 760 and still cannot get passthrough to work like it did in 6.9.2. Error 43 in Windows 10 client.

One thing that really helped my passthrough was especially if it's in the primary slot was to add "video=efifb:off" to Syslinux Configuration in the Flash settings when you click on it in the main page.

image.png.a97428488b15cd860a24a1a2d839b72d.png

On 11/7/2021 at 3:19 AM, bigbangus said:

Fixed it. The solution was just to upgrade my Win10 VM nvidia driver which was from 2020/09. It turns out that since 465.89 (2021/03) Nvidia has allowed virtual machines. For whatever reason 6.9.2 was allowing me to cheat the old driver and 6.10 wasn't. 

Your card is not supported for passthrough in the Nvidia drivers, it is only Kepler or newer that are supported: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5173/~/geforce-gpu-passthrough-for-windows-virtual-machine-(beta)

So I think you are bound to test all the old workarounds/hacks to get it to work.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:13 AM, Koenig said:

Your card is not supported for passthrough in the Nvidia drivers, it is only Kepler or newer that are supported: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5173/~/geforce-gpu-passthrough-for-windows-virtual-machine-(beta)

Are you sure the GTX 760 isn't supported?

I think it's on this list from Nvidia as a Kepler GPU:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5204/~/list-of-kepler-series-geforce-desktop-gpus

12 hours ago, bigbangus said:

Are you sure the GTX 760 isn't supported?

I think it's on this list from Nvidia as a Kepler GPU:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5204/~/list-of-kepler-series-geforce-desktop-gpus

No, when you put it like that it seems I'm wrong.

I was looking at wich cards where supported in the latest driver (as it is a rather new feature) and the 760 was missing out, so I assumed it was an older GPU, but my assumption was wrong.

however there's also this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-end-support-kepler-gpu-windows7-windows-8-august-31 and the article about VM-support is dated 29-09-2021.

Grey area perhaps?

8 hours ago, Koenig said:

I was looking at wich cards where supported in the latest driver (as it is a rather new feature) and the 760 was missing out, so I assumed it was an older GPU, but my assumption was wrong.

however there's also this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-end-support-kepler-gpu-windows7-windows-8-august-31 and the article about VM-support is dated 29-09-2021.

Grey area perhaps?

Perhaps. But the 760 was working just fine (without any workaround) on Unraid 6.9.2. So something changed between then and the RC3 of 6.10 which made it throw error 43 in my W10 and new W11 VMs. All I did was upgrade, no change to VM config.

Same issue with new virtio drivers in the guest VM, and when testing with newer i440/q35 machines. Unfortunately video=efifb:off didn't make a different either. My CPU is an i5-4440 and the iGPU is being used for Unraid's video out (shell). So the GTX 760 should be easily assignable as it's not the only GPU in the machine.

I'm having this issue as well with a GTX 1060, Nvidia Game Ready Driver 512.15, and Unraid 6.10.0-RC4.

I've tried all the suggested fixes I could find, from BIOS dump, to changing the video=efifb:off.

Edited by Michael Price

Same issue in RC4 unfortunately... It is clearly unraid-related, as in 6.9.2 everything was fine, and suddenly broke with 6.10-RC3/4... Did not update drivers in Windows, or anything like that.

I was able to get my card working today, though it's not running in primary slot (not sure if it would work in primary or not.)

For anyone else having similar issues what I had to change (not sure if all are required, but alas I did all and eventually it worked):

1. Switch flash drive to boot Legacy instead of UEFI.

2. Switch VM Setting "PCIe ACS override" to Multi-Function.

3. Move card to secondary slot on mother board.

4. Check the boxes for the graphics card IOMMU group in system devices.

After doing those, I rebuilt the VM, and it seems to be working now. Again I'm not sure which of these fixed the issue, or if it was a mix, but hey it works now.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:43 AM, Koenig said:

Grey area perhaps?

Do you or anyone got managed this problem? I got a GTX 760 Card, too in a Unraid 6.10.3 AMD-system and I want to passthrough it to a Windows 10 or 11-VM. I tried many workarounds, options (like other basic VM settings), but I had still no luck.

Edit: I posted additonal details in this thread.

Edited by 4redundancy
    linked a post in a similar thread

On 2/25/2022 at 1:00 AM, RiDDiX said:
      <features>
        <acpi/>
        <apic/>
        <hyperv>
          <relaxed state='on'/>
          <vapic state='on'/>
          <spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>
          <vendor_id state='on' value='1234567890ab'/>*
        </hyperv>