• CPU Isolation - Perpetual 'A reboot is required to apply changes'

Octalbush
    • Closed

Hello,

I'm running Unraid 6.12 rc2 and trying to enable cpu isolation. I set it up in the web gui like this:

image.thumb.png.7b904ab0d9b7fb794aef9815ba48f4dd.png

It then stated that a reboot was required, so I stopped the array and rebooted. When I booted back up, I went to the cpu isolation page to see if anything had happened, and I got the 'A reboot is required to apply changes' message again.

image.thumb.png.4a7c283bcabba19dca67f791d2a4b0d6.png

I've rebooted 3 times and it never takes effect. Am I doing something wrong or is this is a bug?

Thanks

dockerator-diagnostics-20230325-0810.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

No I'm not. The label Unraid-VM is present because I used to run unraid in a VM, but then swapped to bare metal and used a backup from my VM. The flash drive of the VM system was labelled UNRAID-VM so the new drive on bare metal also expected that same name since it was restored from a backup.

Here's cat /proc/cmdline

BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage unraidlabel=UNRAID-VM initrd=/bzroot

I tested this on rc2 and it all works.

Tried to replicate your settings (obviously different cores), and no issue.

This is my /proc/cmdline

BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage unraidlabel=UNRAID mitigations=off isolcpus=2-3,6-7 initrd=/bzroot

Not sure what is happening in your case.

Weird. Is it possible to change my unraidlabel back to the standard "UNRAID" naming? I know it shouldn't matter but it's the only thing that is different.

I wonder if it's because I have so many cores?

If you have no other Unraid instances running, it should work with the default UNRAID name (you can even leave the setting out). Don't know if that is the issue or the high number of cores in your situation, though all cores are properly identified.

Still an issue on 6.12 rc5. I even rebuilt my entire server with all new hardware and this persisted through that. Can anyone help me with this issue? 

We discussed this internally, but have no real answer or explanation other then it might be due to high numbered cores.

Since we can not test this ourselves, you might want to try the following:

Instead of isolating high numbered cores, isolate lower numbered cores (< 32) and see if that solves the issue.

Hello, thanks for the update. I switched to an Epyc 7302p which is a common CPU and only 16 cores and I have the same issue.

Sure, when do you want me to take the diagnostics?

1. Before isolation is enabled

2. After isolation is enabled but before reboot

3. After reboot when isolation still says it requires a reboot

1 hour ago, Octalbush said:

Here’s the latest diagnostic, I chose cores 6-9 to try a lower numbered set. Same issue though.

dockerator-diagnostics-20230511-1223.zip

Does your syslinux match between os and gui os mode? I have seen issue with acs override when a manual change was done to only one part would show reboot banner

1 hour ago, SimonF said:

Does your syslinux match between os and gui os mode? I have seen issue with acs override when a manual change was done to only one part would show reboot banner

Here’s my syslinux

IMG_0021.jpeg

14 hours ago, Octalbush said:

I switched to an Epyc 7302p which is a common CPU and only 16 cores and I have the same issue.

Are you using the same flash drive? If yes and since it's not the number of cores if might be worth trying with a new Unraid install to rule out any config issues, backup current flash drive, re-create it using the USB tool, then restore only the key, super.dat and the pools folder, all from /config folder, might be also good to use a new libvirt.img.