• Solved Minor

i got a error connecting a usb using Libvirt Hotplug USB

error: Failed to attach device from /tmp/libvirthotplugusb.xml
    error: internal error: No free USB ports

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

21 hours ago, ren88 said:

usb 3 = blue 

Try this:  Stop the VM, Edit the VM, toggle from 'Form View' to 'XML View' near the top-right.  Look for the following XML:

<controller type='usb' index='0' model='qemu-xhci'>

And add in the  ports='15'  attribute, like so:

<controller type='usb' index='0' model='qemu-xhci' ports='15'>

Your model may be 'nec-xhci' or 'qemu-xhci', but adding the ports attribute is all that matters.  Save that, Start the VM and try to hot-attach a usb.

12 hours ago, ren88 said:

yea it works after i updated to beta 6 

To clarify, you upgraded to rc6 and hot-attach worked fine without any XML changes?

6 hours ago, eschultz said:

To clarify, you upgraded to rc6 and hot-attach worked fine without any XML changes?

yea, but i will test it if you want 

ok i add the ports 15 like you said, it works on the RC6, how do i upload the xml and show the status to u 

I'm still baffled why it worked in RC6 and not in a previous version, without the XML change.  Only way you should have gotten that 'No free USB ports' error would be to hot-attach 5 devices since the default is 4 ports on the usb controller.  Is it possible you had at least 3 usb devices already assigned to the VM (+1 for the usb tablet that gets auto assigned) and you tried to hot-attach a 5th usb device?

46 minutes ago, eschultz said:

I'm still baffled why it worked in RC6 and not in a previous version, without the XML change.  Only way you should have gotten that 'No free USB ports' error would be to hot-attach 5 devices since the default is 4 ports on the usb controller.  Is it possible you had at least 3 usb devices already assigned to the VM (+1 for the usb tablet that gets auto assigned) and you tried to hot-attach a 5th usb device?

i only had 3 connect on RC5, wen i connected the 3rd one = gave me a error: Failed to attach device from /tmp/libvirthotplugusb.xml error: internal error: No free USB ports, should i go back to RC5 and test it out 

No need to go back to RC5.  I went ahead and made the ports='15' change to upcoming RC7 so it can handle many more devices going forward.  I'm going to mark this as Solved but feel free to open another ticket if that issue appears in RC7+.