• Intel pstate Driver Changes

nexusmaniac
    • Closed Minor

rc.cpufreq: For CPUs using intel_pstate, always use the performance governor.

• This also provides power savings on Intel processors while avoiding the ramp-up lag present when using the powersave governor (which is the default if ondemand is requested on these machines).

I typically run with 

intel_pstate=disable

In my syslinux conf.

However after reading the changelog of 6.6.0rc1 I removed that and let it boot as normal. However I noticed that (according to the "TipsAndTweaks" plugin) I was running the pstate driver with PowerSave enabled. I've since manually switched that to Performance but with what's stated about still providing power savings on Intel CPUs I'm not sure I agree. 

Netdata shows that my CPU freq is pinned at maximum (expected with the Performance gov...) so I'm not sure how that would provide me any power savings over using the ACPI CPU freq driver?

FYI, using a Haswell-Refresh CPU (see sig) the Intel Xeon E3-1231v3, I know there's always been some 'weirdness' with Haswell + Pstate on Linux so I'm not sure whether to stick with pstate and believe that the power usage won't be higher than with the ACPI driver OR disable pstate again in syslinux? :)

Other than this... Bloody fantastic release! GUI looks cleaner, added details here and there look fantastic and CPU pinning in the UI is great! :D

Cheers

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Yes, you're spot on with 'weirdness' with Haswell + Intel Pstate driver.  Only real way to tell power usage is to use a kill-a-watt meter. 

• Like 1

Not sure if there is an action item for us here or not, so changing status.  OP can re-open if you think there is something we need to do.

• Like 1