• Kernel panic and server lockup on VM restart 6.8.0-rc3

glennv
    • Retest Minor

AMD reset bug seems to have made my situation worse instead of better with the new 6.8 rc release

Now the Unraid server kernel panics and freeses forcing a hard reset when i restart my (in itself fine running ) OSX VM with passed thru MSI Radeon 56.

Before (till 6.7.2) it just froze the VM upon a restart. So now with 6.8 rc way worse !!!!!!

What i also did was test my VM with a newer (4.1) QEMU bios to exclude that as the source of errors as saw that it was updated. And when i tested it with rc1 without doing that the server crashed immediately when gracefull shutting down the VM. Now on rc3  it only dies on restart or consecutive starts.

Stil not useable so will  revert.

Attached diags ad screenshots:

syslog_during_start_and_then_restart_of_VM.thumb.png.4fd015bd863d6f4ec7fe3c5a0fbcc37e.pngjust_before_server_lockup.thumb.png.c5cab61fecd702502e8391733c80723e.pngboom_dead.thumb.jpg.73d2c528786de7ba68df310706939e68.jpg

tach-unraid-diagnostics-20191018-0950.ziptach-unraid-diagnostics-20191018-0954.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

and how would that make sense in this case ? Machine runs 24x7 , never ever crashed for anything in years. Only and repeatable crashes when i run the new rc and only when i stop or restart my vm with amd passed thru.

Without that card or any older release no crashes. Ever.

Run multiple zfs pools , large btrfs cache etc etc . Zero issue. (even these crashes they survive aparantly, good test cases for my redundancy setup unwillingly)

So although memory issues can cause random crashes , that would not be my first though here as not random, not at normla runtime and there is a very very clear history and relation with only amd card not resetting properly and now shooting the server in the head.

If i leave the vm (used for heavy davinci resolve rendering, nuke/houdini render farm duties etc) running it runs indefinitely without issues.

Went back for now to older release where same vm just freezes on a restart (in 90% of the cases. Some rare restarts work)

p.s last full 24 hrs mem test was about 4 months ago

Edited by glennv

running an extensive mem test now anyway to prevent the inevitable questions if i ran a test and if i tried unplugging and replugging the server 😝

Wont hurt anyway.

ps fyi also took out all the other pcie devices (usb and 10g) from the xml to make sure and confirmed it is gpu related and not coming from any of these devices.

16 hours ago, glennv said:

running an extensive mem test now anyway to prevent the inevitable questions if i ran a test and if i tried unplugging and replugging the server 😝

Wont hurt anyway.

about  16 hours later hammering 24cores (of 48) at memory sticks with latest downloaded memtest as totaly expected zero issues (other then large enegry bill).

Edited by glennv

Are there any changes made that require a retest (as i see you changed the status) as i am now running 6.7.2 but willing to retest if something changed in the code ? Did not see anything related in the rc4 change log

Edited by glennv

AMD reset bug seems to have made my situation worse instead of better with the new 6.8 rc release

What do you mean here by "AMD reset bug"?

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

What do you mean here by "AMD reset bug"?

I thought that was clear by now .  (or maybe i should have put "the effects of the bug" )

The bug whereby a passed thru AMD card causes a VM (at least in my case my OSX VM with Vega 56) only to be able to be started once. Will run fine indefinate, everything works, but then when you restart the VM , it hangs as "apparently" the AMD card does not get properly reset.

That was all before 6.8 rcx for me the case.

In 6.8 rc a patch was introduced to tackle this bug according to the change logs. For me it had the side affect of not just hanging the VM but paniking and hanging the complete Unraid server (see logs /screenshots etc). Consistently and repeatable. 

Reverting back to 6.7.2 return it to normal buggy behavior of forementione AMD reset bug.

I´ve  the same fail  with AMD RX 480 + RX 580, but Windows works fine with GPU reset, but no Linux OS like Ubuntu, Arch linux...