• Mellanox SFP+ NIC duplicate Mac address

Jclendineng
    • Closed Urgent

I have some mellanox cards I've been testing in unraid and I get duplicate Mac addresses.  Attached are 2 screenshots and diagnostics. You can see I have duplicate Macs in the network section and when I try to reassign them it states I have duplicates (doh!). Last screenshot shows card itself only has the normal 2 Macs, 1 per port. Interestingly, I seem to get a Mac duplicated at every reboot.

Edit: Card is MCX312A (dual port) and MCX311A (single port) - single port works great and shows 1 Mac. Both dual ports I tested with showed any number of duplicate Macs depending on when I tested.

Edit2: eth0, eth1, eth2 are all fine, and show up.  I have an eth4 that has the duplicate Mac on it, and occasionally eth5. Those are not visible on the network page except in the assignment section. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 3.15.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 3.16.36 PM.png

tower-diagnostics-20220324-1517.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

You have dual port NIC, but wrongly show up eth4 even eth5 but skip eth3 ?

Any problem if you ignore eth4 and eth5 ?

Edit the file network-rules.cfg on your USB device in the folder /config and remove the line referring to eth4

# PCI device 0x15b3:0x1003 (mlx4_core)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="e4:1d:2d:08:87:90", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth4"

Save the file and restart your system, please post diagnostics afterwards.

Ps. Dual MAC addresses give conflicts and are not allowed.

8 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

You have dual port NIC, but wrongly show up eth4 even eth5 but skip eth3 ?

Any problem if you ignore eth4 and eth5 ?

Ignore? haha! That's a good way to solve problems, maybe just not this one ;D  But seriously, unraid does not let you have (obviously) multiple same Macs and so it will restrict you from modifying the assignments. Plus if it is not expected functionality its not good to ignore as anything unexpected when a ton of data is concerned isn't great :)

3 hours ago, bonienl said:

Edit the file network-rules.cfg on your USB device in the folder /config and remove the line referring to eth4

# PCI device 0x15b3:0x1003 (mlx4_core)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="e4:1d:2d:08:87:90", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth4"

Save the file and restart your system, please post diagnostics afterwards.

Ps. Dual MAC addresses give conflicts and are not allowed.

See attached...

The initial diagnostics attached should be similar, I performed this step prior to those as well.  This diagnostics was taken after a clean install. I re-set up all my shares/dockers, but the USB is a clean install.  I then removed eth2 in this case from the config file, verified it went away in the gui, and rebooted.  On boot, eth2 showed up again.  Thank you for assisting!

Edit: I can move this to the stable bug reports if needed, when I reinstalled last night, I installed 6.9.2 just for kicks and it does the same thing. So not a beta issue...

tower-diagnostics-20220325-0816.zip

Look for a firmware update, it's not a general issue, I have several of those and they are working fine, e.g.:

[15b3:1003] 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3]

imagem.thumb.png.d010e30cc68d3ed3a53b640600f206af.png

• Like 1
    7 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Look for a firmware update, it's not a general issue, I have several of those and they are working fine, e.g.:

[15b3:1003] 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3]

imagem.thumb.png.d010e30cc68d3ed3a53b640600f206af.png

Yes but you have 2 dual ports. Im wondering if unraid has issues with only 3.  When I tested with a single port connectx3 it showed up fine (1 Mac for that, 1 Mac for onboard ethernet). When I moved to test any of the dual ports I have, onboard shows up as 1 and dual port shows up as 3. Possibly unraid need pairs of ports? 2/4 vs 2/3? Just a thought.  Yea all cards are on the latest FW from Nvidia, the screenshot of the card info I posted is from one of the cards Im having issues with.  Im getting another brand dual port sfp+ this weekend so Ill have 3 to test with.

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Jclendineng said:

Im wondering if unraid has issues with only 3.

Doubt that very much, I remember seeing before some Mellanox MACs being detected twice, 99.99% it's not an Unraid problem, basically confirmed by you having the same issue with v6.9.2, there are many users using those NICs with Unraid.

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Doubt that very much, I remember seeing before some Mellanox MACs being detected twice, 99.99% it's not an Unraid problem, basically confirmed by you having the same issue with v6.9.2, there are many users using those NICs with Unraid.

OK, thank you, closing.