• Not a bug report per se, but it does bug me (and would be easy to 'fix')

Marshalleq
    • Minor

If fix common problems is going to constantly tell me that I must select RW/Slave mode in all my file access paths in docker, why isn't it just set like this as default?  Seems obvious and probably very easy to implement.  What am I missing?  When should I not use a slave mode access?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Yes this is only needed for UD as it mounts the drives after the docker service is started. At least it was in that order before. 

Normal array starts before docker is started and does not need the slave option. 

10 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

UD = Unassigned Disks?  Then I guess it could be defaulted for unassigned disks?  

Probably won't happen, if only because unRaid itself does not support unassigned disks.  That only happens via the UD plugin.

OK, so feedback for the plugin perhaps, to default the Unraid behaviour.  I only need to do this because Unraid does not support SSD's in an array, if it did problem would be solved.

And I don't want to add it to the cache, as it's an enterprise SSD I use for dockers and raid which handles the IO of those things much better without killing the SSD.

Unless you've got an idea I haven't thought of?

14 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

Unless you've got an idea I haven't thought of?

Don't lose sleep over it.  I forget to set slave all the time.  FCP reminds me on the next scan.  That's what it's there for - To let you know of a mistake.  The only downside of not setting slave is that under certain circumstances, your files within the UD mount will not be visible to the container.  But, there's no data loss, in that circumstance, and a simple edit of the container to set slave mode fixes it permanently.

43 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

Unraid does not support SSD's in an array

It supports SSDs in the cache pool and probably most use the cache pool instead of UD for dockers.

Then don't use cache for your shares (no cache, no mover, direct writes to array) and use the pool only for docker and VM's.  Keep in mind, that if you put your docker image or VM's in array, than every write will involve parity(s).