• Parity disk is missing, I don't think I was warned, I just discovered it

JustinChase
    • Retest Minor

Just upgraded and was poking around.  Noticed a red warning after scrolling down the dashboard that the parity drive is missing.  Looked, and yeah, seems to be.  I wasn't presented any errors, and don't seem to be having any issues using the server, but i suspect I'm now unprotected, and that seems bad.

Diagnostics attached.

media-diagnostics-20180505-1549.zip

parity not present.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

If system notifications are enable you should have received a warning, your parity disk is not being detected, check connections and disk.

They are, and I didn't.  Also, it seems no parity should be a reason for the system to 'make a bigger deal' about not being protected.  Even if one wanted to run without parity for some reason, it should always be obvious that the array is not protected.

In this case, the ONLY thing I can see that might indicate this is the small red text I has to scroll to even become aware of.

I'll take the machine apart and check connections soon, but nothing really has changed other than the upgrade, so it would be a weird coincidence in timing, but certainly possible they are not related.

The only plausible explanation I can think of would be that the parity disk got disable on shutdown during array stop and there was no time for notifications to go out, because the array won't autostart with any missing disk (including parity) and you definitely get a notification if it gets disabled during normal use, in fact you usually get 2 notifications, one about array errors and another about the disabled disk.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:47 AM, JustinChase said:

In this case, the ONLY thing I can see that might indicate this is the small red text I has to scroll to even become aware of.

The 'favicon' should be an orange triangle - that's another indication of no/invalid parity.