• Please add MAC Address support

NewDisplayName
    • Closed

This is probably a bug relating to all unraid versions. Anway it happend in last RC, so i post here?!

So ive ordered a 10gbit NIC and installed it today. Didnt changed ANYTHING at eth0 (the mainboards 1gbits).

After testing around with 10Gbits, i tried to start the array, which didnt worked, so i did a restart. (normal so far, happens sometimes)

After this unraid wouldnt start. I couldnt figure out why. I tried everything for hours, even removed the NIC, but it still wont boot.

(i have wget --user=user--password='pw' ftp://adr:port/file -O /root/keyfile added to my go file) 

I saw it stopping at this point, downloading some kb.. and then waiting FOREVER with 0kbs transfer.

I thought it uses wrong NIC, so i put the NIC back, changed cables... restartet the ftp server, tried manual downloading.... what ever after hours i found out:

If you add a NIC to unraid, it will reset your manual added MACaddres in network.cfg. (i think after i clicked apply it created the file from scartch removing my "HWADDR[0]=12:34:56:78:90") In my network envirorment i need to use specific mac adresses.

Probably you say, thats not happening often, is not much needed, what ever, still i wanna try to get this thing better handled.

~~~> Please allow us to set a MACAdress via unraid interface (so that it get saved and dont get lost every time i change something in network), i mean everything is still there (HWADDRin the config and it works), there "just" need to be added to the gui. <~~~

Maybe someone know if i can make that wget somehow only a specific time. Like if it cant get the file in 2 min, just skip?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

my linux-fu is lacking but I *believe* you could add an "&" to the end of your command in the go file which should send the wget to the background and allow the rest of the system to come up.

wget --user=user--password='pw' ftp://adr:port/file -O /root/keyfile &

• Like 1

Ill try that!

emhttpd uses the same (and i never knew what it means), so i guess that cant hurt.. :D

but after it i would still need a pause (so it can download when nothing is wrong)

Edited by nuhll

Maybe someone know if i can make that wget somehow only a specific time. Like if it cant get the file in 2 min, just skip?

Try the timeout command:

timeout 10 wget --user=user--password='pw' ftp://adr:port/file -O /root/keyfile

That will start wget and then kill it if it is still running after 10 seconds.

More details here:

https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-timeout-command/

Im confused. I restartet to apply latest RC8.

Thats my go file

#!/bin/bash
    # Start the Management Utility
    /usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
    timeout 60 wget --user=user --password='pw' ftp://domain.com:port/file -O /root/keyfile &
    modprobe i915
    chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

I will remove now the & because i think its no longer needed. (it could happen that unraid is faster booting then the download takes (?).

Thats the picture i saw, what the ... is happening?  Why multiple downloads (?)? Someone know if that is normal!? If i remember correctly, this didnt happend before!? It was always only one download. Also the correct file size is 160kb. Not 11,1mb??!?!

IMG_20191205_143557.jpg

IMG_20191205_143631.jpg

Edited by nuhll

This is not a bug.

Whenever the hardware interface configuration changes, it is required to rebuild the interface list with the new interfaces and associated MAC addresses.

Adding a static MAC entry in the network.cfg file manually is lost whenever a update is done via the GUI.

It is not recommended to use static MAC assignments, this usually is phrone to issues and confusion. If you choose to use it anyway, it requires manual editing at all times.

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

This is not a bug.

Whenever the hardware interface configuration changes, it is required to rebuild the interface list with the new interfaces and associated MAC addresses.

Adding a static MAC entry in the network.cfg file manually is lost whenever a update is done via the GUI.

It is not recommended to use static MAC assignments, this usually is phrone to issues and confusion. If you choose to use it anyway, it requires manual editing at all times.

I think its a bug because it changed eth0, even i didnt changed anything in it. I just added eth1, and unraid changed the eth0 block on its own. Thats what confused me.

Anyway... call it like you want. It wouldnt hurt to add a function you can do manually in the config file to the UI, right? :D

I NEED to have a specific mac adress for the unraid server (when i  get a new internet connection, this will be obsolete, but till this point, i need to have a specific mac adress, its not because i like it, i need it...)

Anyway, i hope they consider adding this feature.

But could you help me with the other question? I thought some more.. could it be some other plugin which is downloading somethign?

Edited by nuhll

Please open a topic under general support and close this.

Here is not the right place to answer support questions.