• Please allow to disable automatic parity check on "unclean shutdown"

NewDisplayName
    • Solved Annoyance

So i get annoyed by this alot. EVERY TIME i restart my server it does a parity check, yesterday i JUST finished a parity check and did a NORMAL RESTART and again it startet a parity check....

PLEASE (!!!!!!!) stop wasting my hdds.

I thought it will only do a parity check when SOMETHING bad happend....? But it does it every time, what a freaking waste?

Anyway, i wanna have a option to DISABLE these automatic parity checks. Ive set an intervall on which i wanna check my drives, nothing more, nothing less, thanks.

unraid-server-diagnostics-20190430-1001.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Apr 30 01:32:20 Unraid-Server emhttpd: unclean shutdown detected

also and in case you didn't noticed disk3 is failing:

Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: sd 7:0:9:0: [sdk] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
    Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: sd 7:0:9:0: [sdk] tag#0 Sense Key : 0x3 [current] [descriptor]
    Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: sd 7:0:9:0: [sdk] tag#0 ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x0
    Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: sd 7:0:9:0: [sdk] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 01 55 5b c0 c0 00 00 04 00 00 00
    Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: print_req_error: critical medium error, dev sdk, sector 5727043776
    Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: md: disk3 read error, sector=5727043712
    Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: md: disk3 read error, sector=5727043720
    Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: md: disk3 read error, sector=5727043728
    Apr 30 10:01:47 Unraid-Server kernel: md: disk3 read error, sector=5727043736

It was NO unclean SHUTDOWN (!!!!!)

I did it VIA GUI and everythign WAS FINE.

After 4 unneccessary parity checks, no wonder first disks are failing.

Regarding the unclean shutdown, there should be diags saved in the flash drive that might show the reason for it.

Just now, nuhll said:

After 4 unneccessary parity checks, no wonder first disks are failing.

So you expect the disks to fail after 4 scheduled parity checks?

• Like 1
    3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

So you expect the disks to fail after 4 scheduled parity checks?

Ive uploaded the diagnostics, i cant see anything wrong, do you?

Something is preventing Unraid from unmounting the disks:

Apr 30 01:27:07 Unraid-Server emhttpd: shcmd (416): umount /mnt/user
    Apr 30 01:27:07 Unraid-Server root: umount: /mnt/user: target is busy.

Hence the unclean shutdowns.

• Like 1
    • Upvote 1

The only reason that this should happen on a tidy shutdown/reboot is if Unraid cannot update the status on the USB stick.   The alternative is that you are not actually succeeding in doing a tidy shutdown.  It may be worth putting the USb stick into a Windows/macOS system to get it to check the USB stick.

The diagnostic you posted also shows two issues that should be resolved:

- The syslog is flooded with messages about a network error

- disk3 is reporting read errors

With the above two issues flooding the syslogs it is difficult to spot any other error messages (if any) that might be relevant.

Since you are running 6.7.0 rc7 it may be possible to get more information about what is happening when you attempt to shutdown/reboot by setting Unraid to act as its own syslog server keeping with the results to be stored on the USB stick.

The network error is a unraid bug, posted here 

Both errors shouldnt create a unclean shutdown, correct?

That he cant unmount, is because im using rclone and unionfs. But after some trys, he can unmount and do a normal restart. So i dont see any problem.

Also i really just want to have the option to disable that behaivior.

Also you have a full syslog from 19:00 to 1:0 (where i initiated the restart). I cant see any error.

Edited by nuhll
    7 minutes ago, nuhll said:

That he cant unmount, is because im using rclone and unionfs. But after some trys, he can unmount and do a normal restart. So i dont see any problem.

The syslog ends with Unraid forcing a shutdown since it couldn't unmout the disks, like mentioned that's the reason the for the unclean shutdown

Okay, so this behaivior got added some rcs ago, right?

I dont see this a usefull feature for EVERY unraid user. Not in every case a parity check is usefull.

But atleast i know now why its a unclean shutdown, becaue it cant unmount, but since i have the unmount scripts in place, theres nothing more i can do about it.

@limetech

Please give us the option to disable automatic parity checks on "unclean shutdowns".

Edited by nuhll
    4 minutes ago, nuhll said:

No, it's been like this for years.

• Upvote 1
    44 minutes ago, nuhll said:

I dont see this a usefull feature for EVERY unraid user. Not in every case a parity check is usefull.

But atleast i know now why its a unclean shutdown, becaue it cant unmount, but since i have the unmount scripts in place, theres nothing more i can do about it.

@limetech

Please give us the option to disable automatic parity checks on "unclean shutdowns".

As far as I know this feature has always been there (well at least since Unraid v5 which is when I started with it).  The only thing I can remember that changed was making it default to non-correcting rather than correcting.

Any time Unraid cannot successfully unmount the drives there is  quite likely to be some invalid sectors on the parity drive so I cannot see why a normal user would EVER want this feature disabled.   

The correct solution is for you to resolve what is stopping the unmounting from succeeding so the shutdown completes cleanly.   What are you using to trigger your unmount scripts - maybe that is where the issue lies and they are not getting run successfully?

• Like 1

Hahaha, you fixed it.

I had it only set for run at array startup (which is also right, but i also need to run it at array stop ofc) xD

So thats fixed atleast. (tried restarting and no parity check came up, first time since years)

maybe you can help me with the network issue also?

Thanks.

Edited by nuhll
    18 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Hahaha, you fixed it.

I had it only set for run at array startup (which is also right, but i also need to run it at array stop ofc) xD

So thats fixed atleast. (tried restarting and no parity check came up, first time since years)

maybe you can help me with the network issue also?

Thanks.

Glad that at least one problem is fixed :)

The only thing I can suggest is to delete the network.cfg file from the config folder on the USB drive and then reboot it to get a new default one generated.   If necessary then customise the network settings to suit you.

You dont understand.

And i dont know how to better explain.

The error is about the REAL MAC ADRESS of that board.

But in network.cfg i set the correct mac adress (which he is also using). 

So he is using the provided mac adress, but STILL complains about his REAL mac adress (which he is not using)

So if i delete the network.cfg he will just use the mac of the board, which is the wrong one.

Edited by nuhll

Is there any real reason why you cannot use the real mac address of the board?

I personally think using a made-up / copied mac address is only for transitions or workaround to licensing :D

if i had any normal netowrk solution this would be no problem, but since my whole network get managed by google wifi, all is sh1t.

I would need to reasing the 2 ip addresses and manual add all port forwardings again. (via app)

6 hours ago, nuhll said:

Fine, then please give me the option to disable these useless parity checks on forced shutdown.

Nothing in the world says that you can't cancel the check.

7 hours ago, nuhll said:

if i had any normal netowrk solution this would be no problem, but since my whole network get managed by google wifi, all is sh1t.

I would need to reasing the 2 ip addresses and manual add all port forwardings again. (via app)

Not a google wifi user so i don't know how hard/annoying assigning a static IP can be.