• QLGE Driver missing in 6.9.0-BETA22

bubbl3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

From: https://vcs.cs.uchicago.edu/kauffman/ubuntu-mainline-crack/commit/955315b0dc8c8641311430f40fbe53990ba40e33

"The hardware has been declared EOL by the vendor more than 5 years ago. What's more relevant to the Linux kernel is that the quality of this driver is not on par with many other mainline drivers."

But if we include a driver from staging it causes the kernel to be tainted, from:

https://lwn.net/Articles/324279/

"When code from the staging tree is loaded in the kernel, a warning message will be printed to the kernel log saying: MODULE_NAME: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned. and the kernel will be tainted with the TAINT_CRAP flag. This flag shows up in any kernel oops that might be produced after the driver has been loaded. Note, most kernel developers have expressed the warning that they will not work on bugs for when this taint flag has happened, so if you run into a kernel problem after loading such a module, please work to reproduce the issue without a staging module loaded in order to be able to get help from the community."

I'm very reluctant to add this driver.  It may compile on 5.7 kernel but no guarantee it will compile on any further kernel (let alone work correctly).  Maybe it's time to take advantage of some Father's Day sales and shop for a new 10Gbit ethernet card?

Not to hijack, but as someone thinking about moving to 10GbE, is there a go-to recommendation for a no-fuss RJ45 card? The Intel ones seem to jump between in-tree and out-of-tree drivers a bit.

Why not compile it as out of three then? Is quite an expensive piece of hardware to replace considering also the sfp modules (if I was to move to RJ45 for example I would have to replace the ones on the switch as well). In the end it is your product, but telling me to buy another card isn't a great answer.

1 hour ago, bubbl3 said:

Why not compile it as out of three then? Is quite an expensive piece of hardware to replace considering also the sfp modules (if I was to move to RJ45 for example I would have to replace the ones on the switch as well). In the end it is your product, but telling me to buy another card isn't a great answer.

I'll add the driver but you might consider asking the person who saw fit to depreciate it, why they did that, and maybe convince them to restore it.  I hope you understand if the day comes where the driver won't build or has some other issue, we cannot maintain it.

Thanks, much appreciated, wouldn't expect you to maintain code that doesn't compile. I will ask why they deprecated it as it may be EOL but it's a 10Gbit fiber chip, definitely still relevant.