• Share renaming - Case Sensitivity Bug

dalgibbard
    • Minor

Hi all,

Running 6.8.0-rc9 and noticed two possible minor bugs with case sensitivity with Shares;

bug1:

Initially created a shared called "TV". In Windows Explorer when navigating to the Tower, it displays as "tv" (bug1 - should share as "TV").

bug2:

I decided to rename it to "tv", but doing this in the UI and saving has no effect.

To successfully rename it, i changed it to "TVa", and then changed it again to "tv" and this works; but can't go from TV -> tv.

Thanks!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Not sure how you created a share from Windows Explorer?   In Windows share names are case insensitive.    This can cause a problem if you have two folders at the Linux level with the same spelling but different case.

Sorry, to clarify, I didn't create the share in windows; I'm saying that though I named it in caps in unRAID, is shows in windows as lowercase. This isn't expected behaviour, but I'm also unsure of that's an issue on unraid or windows.

Also, all the 'bug2' actions refer to unraid specifically, with no use of explorer.

Edited by dalgibbard

Bug1 is a windows feature .... suggest you do a google search on "DontPrettyPath Windows".

i suspect bug2 is possibly deliberate in order to make to remote end of the share (eg your windows system) take notice that the share name has actually changed.    

Because windows (by default) is case insensitive a share called "tv" and "TV" is the same so the rename would be ignored.  By force the rename to go via a different name as you did will make the remote end take notice of the rename.

Edited by remotevisitor

Bug2 is also sorta windows related, as the flash drive is FAT32 (originally a MS filesystem), and a file cannot be renamed from TV to tv, as they are the same filename.

Fair enough then; I'm ok with the workaround, but I guess maybe it's not all that intuitive. Maybe a UI message or automatic double rename would be good to improve UX?

If that's not in scope then feel free to close :)