• Unable to boot unRAID 6.10.0-rc1 system cannot find a "device with label UNRAID"

sand
    • Closed Urgent

Unable to boot unRAID:

I updated from 6.9.2 to 6.10.0-rc1, the system boots to sysylinux select screen and upon selection proceeds to print device information, and then always prints the following (which prevents boot up):

//---

scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk Ultra Fit 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6

sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 30031250 512-byte logical blocks: (15.4 GB/14.3 GiB)

Freeing unused kernel image (initmem) memory: 1636K

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled. read cache: enabled, doesn't support DP0 or FVA

sda:

Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 16384k

Freeing unused kernel  image (text/rodata  gap) memory: 2036K

Freeing unused kernel  image (rodata/data gap) memory: 452K

rodata_test: all tests were successful

Run /init as init process

INIT: version 2.99 booting

mount: proc mounted on /proc.

mount: sysfs mounted on /sys.

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

mount: tmpfs mounted on /run.

waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID to come online ...

UNRAID boot device not found, press ENTER to reboot ...

//----

My feeling was that this was related to legacy/UEFI, but the system does this whether I set unraid/motherboard to boot via legacy or UEFI modes, and I had to revert to 6.9.2 (which boots ok).

motherboard: ASUS X99-E-10G WS

usb: SanDisk ultra fit (set in bios to come through as accessible as a drive at boot)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

As I mentioned in the message I sent you, this seems more like a problem with your setup than an actual bug and probably belongs in General Support. Maybe I will copy it there later and close this.

Put your flash drive in your PC and let it checkdisk. While there make a backup. The config folder is all you need to get your configuration going again with a new install if necessary.

Make sure your flash drive is named UNRAID, all caps.

If booting UEFI, there is a folder on flash that must be named EFI

If booting legacy, that same folder must be named EFI-

Boot from a USB2 port.

• Like 1
    9 hours ago, trurl said:

As I mentioned in the message I sent you, this seems more like a problem with your setup than an actual bug and probably belongs in General Support. Maybe I will copy it there later and close this.

Put your flash drive in your PC and let it checkdisk. While there make a backup. The config folder is all you need to get your configuration going again with a new install if necessary.

Make sure your flash drive is named UNRAID, all caps.

If booting UEFI, there is a folder on flash that must be named EFI

If booting legacy, that same folder must be named EFI-

Boot from a USB2 port.

I know it seems like a setup issue, also its not booting I can obviously not provide diagnostics to provide more info in 6.10.0-rc1, but will get the 6.9.2 log up as requested. I'm just comparing the logs myself and will post shortly.

I've run unraid for many years and have upgraded and tested rc's before and not seen this. This is 100% related to 6.10.0-rc1 either requiring a different configuration than was allowed in prior versions or a bug in code that changes the requirements on the boot device. I

It's not an issue of running chkdsk in windows I've definitely named it correctly and tried different usb ports. Its specifically the install files for 6.10.0-rc1 that are causing this, as I have validated this by replacing those files on the usb and only the rc1 version files bring up these log messages. Please leave it where it is there's something here that is worthwhile finding out as it might limit compatability of systems to use this new version.

My feeling is perhaps the new version might make certain usb devices incompatible, and I'll test this today by using a different usb device. I've seen threads on opensuse with similar message logs indicating certain usb devices are responsible.

Edited by sand
    46 minutes ago, sand said:

My feeling is perhaps the new version might make certain usb devices incompatible, and I'll test this today by using a different usb device. I've seen threads on opensuse with similar message logs indicating certain usb devices are responsible.

Could be and you use a age mobo X99, pls try does BIOS XHCI / EHCI handoff setting could be help.

image.png.9974d8967dc2ba7144df47b2437e4bd8.png

• Like 1
    1 hour ago, sand said:

I've run unraid for many years

Since this was your first post I assumed you were a new user. New users often post a bug report when they just need some help with their particular setup.

• Like 1

Can either of you upgrade by simply copying the bz* files to the root of your flash drive from the 6.10rc1 zip download?

33 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Could be and you use a age mobo X99, pls try does BIOS XHCI / EHCI handoff setting could be help.

image.png.9974d8967dc2ba7144df47b2437e4bd8.png

This is a good tip. I tried this earlier, and even in EHCI only mode I wasn't able to boot 6.10.0-rc1.

Update: I used the website to get 6.10.0-rc1 files rather than the gui update method, and have been able to boot into rc1 with both a fresh install and also with my customisations added back to the usb. I'm isolating what files differ and will confirm what I find.

Edited by sand

Perhaps something incomplete when downloading or extracting if updating from the webUI. How large is your flash drive and RAM?

Ok I've tested all the differences; the issue was/is that in the gui update even though the log lists all the files as copied across to boot at least 2 of the files were not copied sucessfully. I can see for certain that at least the \boot\syslinux\syslinux.cfg- didn't go to the destination (I found it in the root of the usb but I cannot say if this was it's location in a prior version or that the copy failed and sent it there). This file itself doesn't stop 6.10.0-rc1 from booting so there must have been issues with the other files failing to copy across. This process failed twice for me as I tried this twice yesterday and at least one other person so it's likely others may see it too.

Both I and Bolagnaise updated using the update to "next" in 6.9.2 so it may be specific to the code deployed there. To update.

6 minutes ago, sand said:

using the update to "next" in 6.9.2

So did I and I suspect most others, and it worked for us.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

How large is your flash drive and RAM?

The reason I also asked about RAM size is because some people with little RAM have had problems with upgrading in the webUI. I think the zip is extracted into RAM before being written to flash.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

So did I and I suspect most others, and it worked for us.

16GB only around ~500MB used and RAM is 128GB. It could really be a number of things at either end (networking/availability/etc). I've got a work around so I'm ok if happens again. Thanks.

I had this same error 2 days ago. I solved it by downloading Unraid again on my USB and then restoring a backup that I had of the old USB files. I thought that a few Unraid boot files must have been corrupted. 

I got that error after having my system run a memtest overnight and assumed that maybe I shutdown something improperly and broke it that way.