• Unraid 6.10 rc network bonding issue

Tortuga
    • Minor

Hi, I think I just found a serious issue with the the rc release and my bonded nic.  I used the upgrade tool, everything said I was good to go.  I did the upgrade, everything said it completed OK.  I rebooted and...nothing.  It appeared as if I had lost *everything*...not to be melodramatic...

It booted, but the last line ominously said, "bonding module not found".  No surpise, my router didn't see it and didn't give it an IP address, but when I tried to log in locally at the gui (which *did* boot to the log in screen)...but did not work.  The gui simply went blank.  Nothing.  So I looked at the command line which appeared to log in no matter what password (or no password) but it wasn't my unraid. It looked like a fresh brand new install of unraid.  Didn't even have my correct server name. 

Thank the gods the backup worked, I restored to 6.9 and the world was right again!  Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures to show so I don't think I have any further useful information to share, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with my bond network card.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Your symptoms suggest that that the flash drive was not correctly mounted at /boot during the later stages of the boot process so no settings were found and no network drivers were loaded.  Without further investigation at your end it will be difficult to determine if this is really what happened, and if it is why it happened.

Hi Ititmpi,

Yah, it was weird, but I do have one update...

To "restore" the usb after upgrading, I simply copied the files from my previous 6.9 backup to replace the files on the usb.  I didn't use the restore usb function.  I thought I'd try to simply replace the files first. 

After that, it booted correctly immediately, but to my surprise, the update to 6.10 survived replacing all the files from the backup. Everything has worked perfect.  I guess something just got corrupted in the configuration during upgrade??? I don't know.  Sorry! I wish I could give you more debugging specifics, but for anyone else that runs into this problem, simply replacing the usb files from the backup worked like a charm!

Yeah, somehow one of the files was corrupted when it was copied to the flash drive. See:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-6100-rc1-available-r1514/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-15328

This happens when 'bzmodules', which is a compressed file system image, cannot be mounted from the USB flash device.  Probably the file is corrupted.  I suggest restoring your flash backup via the USB Creator tool, which will also ensure the flash file system is not corrupted, boot and try the update again.