• [unRAID 6.10.0-rc1] - emhttpd: read SMART events keep spinning up array disks

danioj
    • Urgent

I am raising this bug report to formally capture discussions on the 6.10.0-rc1 release thread relating to a possible bug.

In summary, I have found that emhttpd keeps issuing read SMART events consistently to my array disks, which is spinning them up. The effect is that my usually spun down Array is pretty much spun up 24x7.

Here are the relevant discussions in that thread.

There was some suggestion that the CATurboWrite Plugin or my Marvel Controller (which only has 3 disks of 16 connected to it) could be at fault but I have since removed the plugin and have confirmed that this issue appears to also be experienced by another user @Mathervius who doesn't have a Marvel controller.

Diagnostics are attached.

Chosen minor but really feels a bit more than that. Having the array spun up all the time isn't desirable at all.

unraid-diagnostics-20210902-1852.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

A "read SMART" message is output as a result of detecting that a device changed from standby mode (spun down) to normal mode (spun up).  This can be triggered either by I/O to the device or by explicit spin-up of the device.

15 hours ago, moguiyu said:

This solution unfortunately did not help us which i tried twice before: turn off both the docker and VM then triggered the mover, but the disks are still read smart.

i also used all these 3 apps to track, there is no sign of disk use or file read.

Or any plugin continue reading array disk ? What disk controller use ? Any disk in USB ?

If array in maintenance mode, does wakeup in same ?

Thank you very much for sharing the experience, the following scenarios were all tried:

1. turn off vm/docker, smb service.

2. running in maintenance mode.

no usb other than the system is mounted.

the disks(HGST/Seagate 4TB) that are not comes with the dell T130 server are spinning up; the disk (Toshiba 1T oemed) came with the server works fine which spin off normally.

so i wonder if it is disk controller compatability issue?

2 minutes ago, moguiyu said:

Thank you very much for sharing the experience, the following scenarios were all tried:

1. turn off vm/docker, smb service.

2. running in maintenance mode.

no usb other than the system is mounted.

the disks(HGST/Seagate 4TB) that are not comes with the dell T130 server are spinning up; the disk (Toshiba 1T oemed) came with the server works fine which spin off normally.

What type of disks are they? Are they SAS and do you have the SAS spindown plugin?

3 minutes ago, SimonF said:

What type of disks are they? Are they SAS and do you have the SAS spindown plugin?

they are just most common sata disks, I did not use spindown plugin, attached are the diagnose file.

now i have removed the Toshiba disks with only HGST/ST disk installed.

m17-diagnostics-20220801-2150.zip

Was pulling my hair out over this issue, trying everything to isolate what was spinning up array. 

Ended up replacing my HBA and it’s been working fine ever since.

more info here, hopefully helps

someone

7 hours ago, moguiyu said:

Depends on the controller model and type, i.e. HBA or RAID controller, does Toshiba 1T oemed and other disks connect to same controller ?

You should provide diagnostic.

Check my previous comment, after hours upon hours of troubleshooting I found out the culprit is my hypervisor (ESXI). Hopefully this helps some of you.

I have been having this issue since moving to my new server and using a HBA card for the first time. Old Gne 8 micro I did not have this issue.

I have a HP H2402084038591_UnraidHBAconfig.png.53051968d2d1614058936ae7b0afd516.png

it is on latest patch from HP and in the correct mode. 

I have checked that nothing is being read via the FileActivity tool and nothing on my drives is being read when the disks spin back up. I have also shut down dockers running etc and removed the Fan speed change add on that people said was spinning up disks (not that it worked on my motherboard) .... 

Is there any fix for this or any trouble shooting done by Unraid devs to help?  I see this mentioned on multiple threads on the forums but without an actual answer.

Well one person changed their HBA card and it stopped the spin ups. Not sure which card they went to but they had a HP card as well..... could it be card related? 

Any help appreciated.