• Unraid OS 6.9.0-Beta29 issues

Cristian Sava
    • Retest Urgent

I've upgraded from Unraid OS 6.9.0-Beta25 to Unraid OS 6.9.0-Beta29 on my two machines.

The Intel one won't boot a win10 vm under no circumstances. It will hang during boot and lock while the circles are spinning - no blue screen and nothing on the vm logs. I've tried a ton of different settings and nothing worked. It seems to be related to the nvidia passthrough cause my other vm (debian linux with only vnc/qxl driver) is fine. I've done tests half a day with no success. I had to revert to Unraid OS 6.9.0-Beta25 to make my win10 vm work again on the intel machine. The same isn't true with my AMD machine which seems to be just fine on Unraid OS 6.9.0-Beta29 (of course on host-model xml edit).

Attaching diagnostics files for both.

unraid-amd-diagnostics-20201005-1900.zip unraid-intel-diagnostics-20201005-1900.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Probably would have made more sense to just post in the release thread, and you haven't given much information.

Have you read the entire release thread?

Is the VM using vdisks or are you attempting to passthru actual disks to the VM?

Downgrading to Minor

How are you trying to pass it through? If it’s a PCIe NVME drive you can pass it through like any other PCIe device and not as a drive.

Edited by Taddeusz

How is this an issue with disk passthrough if i already said that i got the another vm working and that the only difference is the gpu passthrough missing in the one that works ?

6 minutes ago, Cristian Sava said:

How is this an issue with disk passthrough if i already said that i got the another vm working and that the only difference is the gpu passthrough missing in the one that works ?

Because you later said,

On 10/5/2020 at 8:54 AM, Cristian Sava said:

passthrough an entire samsung evo 500 gb nvme disk.

and that was not working in beta29.

Just tried beta-30. Exibits the same behaviour. The only difference is that now the screen goes black and it even won't get to the phase where the win10 circles spin and then freeze on the intel machine. And the same thing with the amd machine still working just fine.

So for now sticking with beta-25 until further developments.

Edited by Cristian Sava

I'm having same problem, all VM's are Dead.

Was able after 3 days of fighting with it to rule out any Hardware errors, privileges that might have gone bogus and data Korruption as i removed all apps, Plugins, dockers and VM's and then reinstalled.

As it stands Unraid will simply crash the VM engine with a CLEAN LOG as soon i start a VM with a VGA passthrough, tried it both with Nvidia GPU's 1060,1070,Quadro and Vega 56/64 cards with same result: Docker apps and VM's disappear from Dashboard, VM Tab if refreshed will show empty. Also Server does not turn off anymore.

Worth mentioning the NVidia plugin works like a charm and all cards work just fine in docker apps like Plex.

I managed to clone one of my win 10 OS VM's to a standalone hard drive and am now booting that instead. Currently using the server as a win 10 machine with no access to the 12 Tb of data i got on the Array

Would rly apreciate the option to rollback to before 6.9x versions......