• Unraid OS version 6.10.0-rc2 available

limetech

6.10.0 Summary of Changes and New Features

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Note: In order to permit ongoing development, some changes/features are marked experimental.  This means underlying support is included in the release, but high level functionality or UI has not been included yet.

UPC and My Servers Plugin - [rc2] reworded

The most visible new feature is located in the upper right of the webGUI header.  We call this the User Profile Component, or UPC.  The UPC allows a user to associate their server(s) and license key(s) with their Unraid Community forum account, also known as an Unraid.net account.

Starting with this release, it will be necessary for a new user to either sign-in with existing forum credentials or sign-up, creating a new account via the UPC in order to download a Trial key.  All key purchases and upgrades are also handled exclusively via the UPC.

Signing-in provides these benefits:

1. My Servers Dashboard - when logged into the forum a new My Servers menu item appears. Clicking this brings up a Dashboard which displays a set of tiles representing servers associated with this account.  Each tile includes a link to bring up the servers webGUI on your LAN.  Install the My Servers plugin to provide real-time status and other advanced features (see below).
    2. Notification of critical security-related updates.  In the event a serious security vulnerability has been discovered and patched, we will send out a notification to all email addresses associated with registered servers.
    3. Posting privilege in a new set of My Servers forum boards.
    4. No more reliance on email and having to copy/paste key file URLs in order to install a license key - keys are delivered and installed automatically to your server.

Once a license key has been provisioned, it is not necessary to remain signed-in, though there is no particular reason to sign-out.

[rc2]  Exception:  A server must be signed-in to Provision and Renew a Let's Encrypt SSL certificate.

My Servers Plugin

My Servers is what we call our set of cloud-based or cloud-enabled services and features that integrate with your Unraid server(s).  Once installed here are some of the features of My Servers:

• Real-time Status - with the plugin installed each server tile on the My Servers Dashboard will display real-time status such as whether the server is online or offline, storage utilization and other information. 
    • Remote Access link - if enabled, a link is displayed on the My Servers Dashboard to bring up a server webGUI remotely over the Internet.
    • Automatic Flash Backup - every registered server is provided with a private git repo initially populated with the contents of your USB flash boot device (except for certain files which contain private information such as passwords).  Thereafter, configuration changes are automatically committed.  A link is provided to download a custom zip file that can be fed as input to the USB Flash Creator tool to move your configuration to a new USB flash device.

My Servers is an optional add-on, installed through Community Apps or via direct plugin URL.  Detailed instructions can be found here.

If you have installed the My Servers plugin, signed-in servers will maintain a websocket connection to a cloud-based Lime Technology proxy server for the purpose of relaying real-time status.

Security Changes

• It is now mandatory to define a root password.  We also created a division in the Users page to distinguish root from other user names.  The root UserEdit page includes a text box for pasting SSH authorized keys.
    • For new configurations, the flash share default export setting is No.
    • For all new user shares, the default export setting is No.
    • For new configurations, SMBv1 is disabled by default.
    • For new configurations, telnet, ssh, and ftp are disabled by default.
    • We removed certain strings from Diagnostics such as passwords found in the 'go' file.

Virtualization

Both libvirt and qemu have been updated.  In addition qemu has been compiled with OpenGL support, and [rc2] ARM emulation (experimental).

[rc2] To support Windows 11 which requires TPM and Secure boot, we have added TPM emulation; and, added a "Windows 11" VM template which automatically selects TPM-aware OVMF bios.  Also, here are instructions for upgrading a Windows 10 VM to Windows 11.  Special thanks to @ich777 who researched and determined what changes and components were necessary to provide this functionality.

The built-in FireFox browser available in GUI-mode boot is built as an AppImage and located in the bzfirmware compressed file system image.  This saves approximately 60MB of RAM.

The Wireguard plugin has been integrated into webGUI, that is, no need for the plugin.  If you had the plugin installed previously, it will be uninstalled and moved to the "Plugins/Plugin File Install Errors" page. No action is needed unless you want to press the Delete button to remove it from that page. Your WireGuard tunnels and settings will be preserved.

Simplified installation of the Community Apps plugin.  The webGUI automatically includes the Apps menu item, and if CA is not already installed, the page offers an Install button.  No need to hunt for the plugin link.

Let's Encrypt SSL provisioning change.  In previous releases code that provisions (allocates and downloads) a LE SSL certificate would first test if DNS Rebinding Protection was enforced on the user's LAN; and, if so, would not provision the certificate.  Since there are other uses for a LE certificate we changed the code so that provision would always proceed.  Next, we changed the logic behind the Auto selection of "Use SSL/TLS" setting on the Management Access page.  Now it is only possible to select Auto if both a LE certificate has been provisioned and DNS Rebinding Protection is not enforced.  This is a subtle change but permits certain My Servers features such as Remote Access.

Linux Kernel

Upgrade to [rc2] Linux 5.14.15 kernel which includes so-called Sequoia vulnerability mitigation.

In-tree GPU drivers are now loaded by default if corresponding hardware is detected:

• amdgpu
    • ast
    • i915
    • radeon

These drivers are required mostly for motherboard on-board graphics used in GUI boot mode.  Loading of a driver can be prohibited by creating the appropriate file named after the driver:

echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Alternately, the device can be isolated from Linux entirely via the System Devices page.  Note that in Unraid OS 6.9 releases the in-tree GPU drivers are blacklisted by default and to enabling loading a driver you need to create an empty "conf" file.  After upgrading to Unraid OS 6.10 you may delete those files, or leave them as-is.  This change was made to greatly improve the Desktop GUI experience for new users.

Added support for Intel GVT-g, which lets you split your Intel i915 iGPU into multiple virtual GPUs and pass them through to multiple VMs, using @ich777's Intel-GVT-g plugin.

Added support for gnif/vendor-reset.  This simplifies @ich777's AMD Vendor Reset plugin which permits users to get their AMD video cards to reset properly.

[rc2] Added so-called "add-relaxable-rmrr-5_8_and_up.patch" modified for our kernel
      https://github.com/kiler129/relax-intel-rmrr/blob/master/patches/add-relaxable-rmrr-5_8_and_up.patch

Thanks to @ich777 for pointing this out,

[rc2] Enabled additional ACPI kernel options
    [rc2] Updated out-of-tree drivers

[rc2] Enabled TPM kernel modules (not utilized yet) - note this is for Unraid host utilizing physical TPM, not emulated TPM support for virtual machnes.

Base Packages

Virtually the entire base package set has been updated.

[rc2] For SMB: Samba version 4.15 SMB3 multi-channel is no longer marked "experimental" and is enabled by default.

[rc2] Per request we added the mcelog package.  With inclusion of this package, if you have an AMD processor you may see this error message in the system log:

mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor. Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.

We're not sure what to make of this.  It appears mcelog is begin deprecated in favor of rasdaemon.  This is something we need to research further.

Other improvements available in 6.10, which are maybe not so obvious to spot from the release notes and some of these improvements are internal and not really visible:

Event driven model to obtain server information and update the webGUI in real-time

• The advantage of this model is its scalability. Multiple browsers can be opened simultaneously to the webGUI without much impact
    • In addition stale browser sessions won't create any CSRF errors anymore
    • People who keep their browser open 24/7 will find the webGUI stays responsive at all times

Docker labels

• Docker labels are added to allow people using Docker compose to make use of icons and GUI access
    • Look at a Docker 'run' command output to see exactly what labels are used

Docker custom networks

• A new setting for custom networks is available. Originally custom networks are created using the macvlan mode, and this mode is kept when upgrading to version 6.10
    • The new ipvlan mode is introduced to battle the crashes some people experience when using macvlan mode. If that is your case, change to ipvlan mode and test. Changing of mode does not require to reconfigure anything on Docker level, internally everything is being taken care off.

Docker bridge network (docker0)

• docker0 now supports IPv6. This is implemented by assigning docker0 a private IPv6 subnet (fd17::/64), similar to what is done for IPv4 and use network translation to communicate with the outside world
    • Containers connected to the bridge network now have both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity (of course the system must have IPv6 configured in the network configuration)
    • In addition several enhancements are made in the IPv6 implementation to better deal with the use (or no-use) of IPv6

Plugins page

• The plugins page now loads information in two steps. First the list of plugins is created and next the more time consuming plugin status field is retrieved in the background. The result is a faster loading plugins page, especially when you have a lot of plugins installed

Dashboard graphs

• The dashboard has now two graphs available. The CPU graph is displayed by default, while the NETWORK graph is a new option under Interface (see the 'General Info' selection)
    • The CPU graph may be hidden as well in case it is not desired
    • Both graphs have a configurable time-line, which is by default 30 seconds and can be changed independently for each graph to see a longer or shorter history.
    • Graphs are updated in real-time and are useful to observe the behavior of the server under different circumstances

Other Changes

• We switched to a better-maintained version of the WSD server component called wsdd2 in an effort to eliminate instances where the wsd daemon would start consuming 100% of a CPU core.  [rc2] Automatically restrict wsdd to listen only at the primary network interface (br0, bond0, or eth0, depending on config).
    • Fixed issue where you couldn't create a docker image on a share name that contains a space.
    • Fixed issue where 'mover' would not move to a pool name that contains a space.
    • Fixed issue in User Share file system where permissions were not being honored.
    • We increased the font size in Terminal and [rc2] fixed issue with macOS Monterey.
    • [rc2] Fixed jumbo frames not working.
    • [rc2] sysctl: handle net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_count max exceeded (increase setting to 131072) - hattip to Community Member @DieFalse

• [rc2] Mover will create '.partial' file and then rename upon completion.

• [rc2] Check bz file sha256sums at boot time.

Credits

Special thanks to all our beta testers and especially:

@bonienl for his continued refinement and updating of the Dynamix webGUI.

@Squid for continued refinement of Community Apps and associated feed.

@dlandon for continued refinement of Unassigned Devices plugin and patience as we change things under the hood.

@ich777 for assistance and passing on knowledge of Linux kernel config changes to support third party drivers and other kernel-related functionality via plugins.

@SimonF for refinements to System Devices page and other webGUI improvements.  We intend to merge your mover progress changes during this RC series.

Version 6.10.0-rc2 2021-11-01 (vs. 6.10.0-rc1)

Base distro:

• acpid: version 2.0.33
    • at-spi2-core: version 2.42.0
    • bind: version 9.16.22
    • btrfs-progs: version 5.14.2
    • ca-certificates: version 20211005
    • cifs-utils: version 6.14
    • coreutils: version 9.0
    • cryptsetup: version 2.4.1
    • curl: version 7.79.1
    • dhcpcd: version 9.4.1
    • dnsmasq: version 2.86
    • docker: version 20.10.9
    • e2fsprogs: version 1.46.4
    • ethtool: version 5.14
    • file: version 5.41
    • fribidi: version 1.0.11
    • fuse3: version 3.10.5
    • gd: version 2.3.3
    • gdbm: version 1.22
    • git: version 2.33.1
    • glib2: version 2.70.0
    • glibc-zoneinfo: version 2021e
    • gnutls: version 3.7.2
    • grep: version 3.7
    • gzip: version 1.11
    • harfbuzz: version 3.0.0
    • haveged: version 1.9.15
    • htop: version 3.1.1
    • iproute2: version 5.14.0
    • jansson: version 2.14
    • json-glib: version 1.6.6
    • libXi: version 1.8
    • libarchive: version 3.5.2
    • libedit: version 20210910_3.1
    • libepoxy: version 1.5.9
    • libgcrypt: version 1.9.4
    • libgudev: version 237
    • libjpeg-turbo: version 2.1.1
    • libssh: version 0.9.6
    • libssh2: version 1.10.0
    • libtpms: version 0.9.0
    • libvirt: version 7.8.0
    • libvirt-php: version 0.5.6a
    • libwebp: version 1.2.1
    • libxkbcommon: version 1.3.1
    • lvm2: version 2.03.13
    • mc: version 4.8.27
    • mcelog: version 179
    • nano: version 5.9
    • ncurses: version 6.3
    • nghttp2: version 1.46.0
    • nginx: version 1.19.10
    • ntfs-3g: version 2021.8.22
    • openssh: version 8.8p1
    • openssl: version 1.1.1l
    • openssl-solibs: version 1.1.1l
    • pam: version 1.5.2
    • pango: version 1.48.10
    • pcre2: version 10.38
    • php: version 7.4.24
    • qemu: version 6.1.0
    • samba: version 4.15.0
    • sudo: version 1.9.8p2
    • swtpm: version 0.6.1
    • ttyd: version 20211023
    • usbutils: version 014
    • util-linux: version 2.37.2
    • wget: version 1.21.2
    • wireguard-tools: version 1.0.20210914
    • wsdd2: version 1.8.6
    • xfsprogs: version 5.13.0
    • xkeyboard-config: version 2.34
    • xrdb: version 1.2.1
    • xterm: version 369

Linux kernel:

• version 5.14.15
    • restore CONFIG_X86_X32: x32 ABI for 64-bit mode
    • added so-called "add-relaxable-rmrr-5_8_and_up.patch" modified for this kernel
    • added several ACPI-related CONFIG settings
    • added CONFIG_TCG_TPM and associated TPM chip drivers
    • added CONFIG_NFSD_V4: NFS server support for NFS version 4
    • added CONFIG_USB_NET_AQC111: Aquantia AQtion USB to 5/2.5GbE Controllers support
    • added NFS_V4: NFS client support for NFS version 4
    • oot: md/unriad: version 2.9.19
    • oot: nvidia: version 470.63.01 [via plugin]
    • oot: r8125:version 9.006.04
    • oot: r8152: version 2.15.0

Management:

• emhttpd: fix regression: user shares should be enabled by default
    • emhttpd: minimize information transmitted by 'stock' UpdateDNS function
    • firefox: version 91.0.r20210823123856 (AppImage)
    • mover: append '.partial' suffix to filename when move in-progess
    • rc.mcelog: mcelog added to base distro
    • rc.nginx: support custom wildcard self-signed certs
    • rc.S: check bz file sha256 during initial boot
    • sysctl: handle net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_count max exceeded (increase setting to 131072)
    • wsdd2: listen only on active interface by default (br0, bond0, or eth0)
    • webgui: remove 'My Servers' skeleton page
    • webgui: present CA-signed certificate subject as a link
    • webgui: Relax update frequency a bit
    • webgui: Docker: Only save templates as v2
    • webgui: Fix pools display on Main page when empty pool exists
    • webgui: Escape double quotes in text input submit
    • webgui: Add 'root' folder protection to filetree
    • webgui: Support multi-language in filetree display
    • webgui: Use background checking for flash corruption
    • webgui: Proactive script security hardening
    • webgui: Diagnostics: add check for DNS Rebinding Protection
    • webgui: Diagnostics: privatize routable IPs
    • webgui: Diagnostics: add url details
    • webgui: Docker: Fix incorrect caching when deleting / recreating image
    • webgui: Silence PHP error on syslinux page if flash drive is missing
    • webgui: various Multi-language corrections
    • webgui: VM Manager: added Windows 11 template and OVMF TPM
    • webgui: VM Manager: add virtio-win-0.1.208.iso download link
    • webgui: Sign-in required to provision/renew Unraid LE SSL certificate
    • Like 10
    • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hello,

I have a question regarding the UPC functonality that (to my knowledge) hasn't been answered anywhere.

Say we have a failing flash drive, but this flash drive is less then a year old which means changing it for a new one and activating the license is not a one click afair within the GUI.

Does UPC improve that in any way, or is it essentially the same (not the best experience) as before... dropping a line to support so they can manually enable it?

Thanks

Edited by Ver7o
    2 hours ago, Ver7o said:

this flash drive is less then a year old which means changing it for a new one and activating the license is not a one click afair within the GUI.

It's not about how old the flash drive is. You get one replacement per year regardless of the age of flash.

• Thanks 1
    25 minutes ago, trurl said:

It's not about how old the flash drive is. You get one replacement per year regardless of the age of flash.

Yes, I should have worded it better.

That's unfortunate. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Ver7o said:

Does UPC improve that in any way, or is it essentially the same (not the best experience) as before... dropping a line to support so they can manually enable it?

When you are eligible to change your key (this is shown in the GUI), then changing/updating is done automatically without the need of remote support. To make this work, you need to copy your old key to the new flash device. And use the GUI to follow-up.

I always assumed that the once a year method is the easy way... The rare additional replacement has to be done with direct contact with Limetech.

I don't know whether they would charge for it... I would hope not if it were not a pattern of any kind.

Personally I replaced my USB drive after 2+ years to upgrade to the one Spaceinvader liked while I was completely rebuilding my server. I would hope if something stupid happened to that new USB drive Limetech would be pleasantly helpful.

Arbadacarba

On 11/14/2021 at 2:37 PM, nikos134 said:

I am passing through my GPU 5700XT

Nov 14 16:23:38 NIKOS-TOWER kernel: amdgpu 0000:0a:00.0: amdgpu: amdgpu: finishing device.

According to the syslog snippet you posted you are loading the amdgpu driver which will prevent the card being passed through to a VM. Either stop loading the amdgpu driver or, if you need it for another AMD GPU, bind your 5700XT card to the VirtIO driver on the Tools -> System Devices page.

As mentioned in the release notes, at the top of this page,

In-tree GPU drivers are now loaded by default if corresponding hardware is detected:

• amdgpu

which would explain the different behaviour.

• Like 1
    On 11/17/2021 at 11:10 PM, John_M said:

Nov 14 16:23:38 NIKOS-TOWER kernel: amdgpu 0000:0a:00.0: amdgpu: amdgpu: finishing device.

According to the syslog snippet you posted you are loading the amdgpu driver which will prevent the card being passed through to a VM. Either stop loading the amdgpu driver or, if you need it for another AMD GPU, bind your 5700XT card to the VirtIO driver on the Tools -> System Devices page.

As mentioned in the release notes, at the top of this page,

which would explain the different behaviour.

Thanks for your answer. 
    I have rolledback to the stable branch, I will update again to rc2, tonight or tommorow and come back to you.

Weird thing just happened.
    Among the many containers I have (although I have most stopped, 5-6 run all the time), I have "ddns-updater".

(note this issue doesn't look to source from the container itself, but more from the docker backbone, this is why I report it here)

This container has a web interface only for info (to see if ddns registration is OK) and the configuration itself is during the container install including a simple manually edited file (ddns login details).

Anyway, I saw the container running ok and casually clicked to see the web interface and see if i changed public IP (something that works and I have done before).
    It reported that it cannot show me the web page.

I naturally clicked Edit to see the container configuration in case I have new web port conflict or something. It didn't (the port was unique).

So I closed the Edit (DID NOT press to delete anything or even to update the container) to return to my dashboard and to click the "web" again to see if it was just a little "fart" from my server.

ONLY I COULDN'T FIND THE CONTAINER in the list!
    I checked the dedicated docker page, not there.
    So I went to apps and found it again. It didn't show as installed.

I installed again with same parameters (I didn't even check if my manually edited file was in position, because I didn't delete it anyway)... it installed fine and run fine.
    I clicked the web interface. Now it was working AND it even read my config file (and possibly it's own logs from previous install) as it reported my public IP is registered ok and hasn't changed for so many days.

What happened??????

How can a container just disappear from existence?

2 hours ago, NLS said:

What happened??????

Hard to say exactly without more detail.   Depending upon what the  error was on the docker run command that would have showed up, the app could have simply refused to start or went and became orphaned (it will show up under advanced view)

32 minutes ago, Squid said:

Hard to say exactly without more detail.   Depending upon what the  error was on the docker run command that would have showed up, the app could have simply refused to start or went and became orphaned (it will show up under advanced view)

I realize I provided no logs or anything to help.
    Too late to check.
    If it happens again, I might look deeper.

My post above is mostly a pointer to an incident in case this happens to anybody else.

I'm experiencing consistent hangs of certain parts of the dashboard stats and terminal using RC2 but no corresponding log messages. In fact, there are no log messages for the past 45 mins. It seems to happen anywhere from 10-30 mins after a reboot.

1213314046_SakaarDashboard(BraveBrowser)2021-11-19at15_54_46.thumb.png.64bd0fe23db19271d075ab924e970798.png2082160965_ttyd-Terminal(BraveBrowser)2021-11-19at16_00_51.thumb.png.dfb07a15155a3dab5fb1674fcf99b2cb.png

1 hour ago, Craig Dennis said:

It seems to happen anywhere from 10-30 mins after a reboot.

Make sure that Safari is up to date.  If no change, you should post your diagnostics -> it's not a general problem with the RC

According to this article; The Gigabyte WMI sensor drivers should be in kernel 5.13+. https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/GIGABYTE_WMI.html

I am on 6.10RC2 Kernel 5.14+ but the driver is not present.

>/lib/modules/5.14.15-Unraid/kernel/drivers# find /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/ -iname "*gigabyte*"

returns nothing.

I have an X570S Gigabyte motherboard and want to use the WMI driver that has recently been built for Linux. - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gigabyte-WMI-For-Linux-5.13

Why is the driver not present?

I think the ratio with profile pictures is not correct for My servers on the webui banner. The webui looks squished:

image.png.a700c49885c21ce6cc9815ba076f8c25.png

While the forums have the correct ratio:

image.png.c1c487ab9a560a7fdfc62705097d2466.png

image.png

22 minutes ago, macieksoft said:

I think the ratio with profile pictures is not correct for My servers on the webui banner. The webui looks squished

Try making your Web Browser a bit wider.  The banner is sized horizontally to  fit the width of the 'window' but the height does not change.  So the width of the 'window' will change the height-to-width appearance ratio.

Yes, it does the same thing with the banner... I designed my banner to show one of jupiters moons against the backdrop of the storms but had to change it because the moon was always the wrong shape... Certainly not a real problem.

Wait... if I read that correctly, it would mean that starting from 6.10, a Unraid server would not only be "phoning home" to check for key validity, but stay connected and/or associated with a forum account?
    I mean, if I want to not worry about my certificate renewal at least?

And I have to link my key to a forum account? "All key purchases and upgrades are also handled exclusively via the UPC"

Ah hell no, when I bought into unraid, it was because it was a one-time thing, with no strings attached.

But you're telling me now that it will be hardware and data I own, under my roof, that will basically join an online cloud just to kindly ask the permission to run properly?

I'm out. Just out. I'll see how it goes, but I'll be preparing to move over to an other OS in case I end up not liking it as much as I think I won't like it.

There is a reason I don't use ubiquiti gear, or any IOT devices that rely on cloud services instead of local ones.

There is a reason I use local accounts on windows and not M$ ones.
    The whole point of self hosting is to not depend on external entities for services or access to your own stuff.

Unraid might just have lost its whole point there to me, and the user-friendliness won't be enough anymore to justify it to exist in my rack compared to Pr*xm*x which I'm very fine with too and already run several nodes of.

13 minutes ago, Keexrean said:

Unraid server would not only be "phoning home" to check for key validity,

Just to clarify this, Unraid NEVER has "phoned home" for paid licenses. All key validity checking is done locally. Trial keys, yes, they verify expiration time, but paid keys don't expire, and aren't checked externally.

If you use your own domain for remote access and don't sign in to the UPC, nothing will change with 6.10 except for the sign in screen for UPC will be present and nag you to install the my servers plugin. The my servers plugin is optional, so if you don't want the unraid.net domain or flash drive backup on unraid's servers, don't install it.

As far as the key purchases, trial keys will require sign in. Paid keys can still be handled externally if desired.

Any possibilities to configure the Dashboard page? All my fans are controlled by IPMI, and under "Airflow" 1 fan get listed running 0 RPM 😛 Minor thing, but would be nice to remove sections not used/giving proper info

4 minutes ago, olehj said:

Any possibilities to configure the Dashboard page? All my fans are controlled by IPMI, and under "Airflow" 1 fan get listed running 0 RPM 😛 Minor thing, but would be nice to remove sections not used/giving proper info

In addition, labeling and ordering the fans would be great too.

6 minutes ago, olehj said:

configure the Dashboard page?

You can collapse sections of the Dashboard.

1 minute ago, Arbadacarba said:

In addition, labeling and ordering the fans would be great too.

Feature requests do not belong on this thread.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

You can collapse sections of the Dashboard.

Yeah, can collapse a bit, but not entirely. Anyway, no big problem.