• Unraid OS version 6.7.0-rc2 available

limetech

Mainly bug fixes, webGUI tweaks.

Other highlights:

• Added the '--allow-discards' option to LUKS open.  This should only have any effect when using encrypted Cache device/pool with SSD devices.  It allows a file system to notice if underlying device supports TRIM and if so, passes TRIM commands down.
    • Fixed issue where files created through OS X had improper permission set.

Version 6.7.0-rc2 2019-01-24

Linux kernel:

• version: 4.19.17
    • patch: btrfs: prevent failed readahead from spamming syslog
    • patch: PCI: Quirk Silicon Motion SM2262/SM2263 NVMe controller reset

Management:

• emhttpd: Add --allow-discard luksOpen option
    • emhttpd: Increase number of queued inotify IN_MOVED_TO events from 16 to 1024 for /var/local/emhttp directory.
    • firmware:
      added BCM20702A0-0a5c-21e8.hcd
      added BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd
    • smb: when Enhanced OS X interoperability set, include "fruit:nfs_aces = no" to be compatible with Unraid security model
    • webgui: Dashboard: fixed display of Wattage in UPS load
    • webgui: Fixed version display in system information
    • webgui: Dashboard: fixed wrapping of long lines
    • webgui: Docker: textual update
    • webgui: Switch button: use blue color in ON state
    • webgui: File browser: force download of files

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I noticed that i can't edit VM that is stopped. I wanted to add more ram. Can you please check? On my end the button is grayed until next refresh after i click.

I'm posting this here because it seems to be a 6.7 "thing" even though I'm still using 6.6.6. Let me explain.

I've been away for a while but had updated to 6.6.6 before I left. I haven't had a chance to try 6.7.0-rc yet but I have updated a lot of plugins and I notice that their icons have changed to simple blue ones where they appear on the Settings and Tools pages of the GUI:

1769160236_SettingsPage.png.29b6d314f2c265456689eea69c16ec21.png

but on the Plugins page the original coloured icons are displayed:

888025413_PluginsPage.png.fc5e4f8d1036f16b1a83d95574f4c55f.png

It seems there's a move towards using the monochrome icons going forward. I have two questions.

1. Why is this style change affecting version 6.6.6 (the current stable release), which now looks quite messy? Since the coloured icons are still being displayed on one page, why aren't they being displayed on all pages?

2. Can anyone give me a good reason why useful visual cues are being removed by replacing coloured icons with monochrome ones? Human beings see in colour for a reason. Monochrome icons might look "cool" and "trendy" (presumably because Windows 10 uses them in some places) but they convey less information and I now have to search for icons that previously I could recognise more quickly.

• Like 1

It is up to the plugin developers to stick to the original colored icons or use monochrome fonts.

The support of monochrome fonts exists since Unraid 6.4, but nobody used it so far.

Personally I like the icons better for the plugins, but each his own choice.

• Upvote 1
    10 minutes ago, bastl said:

@John_M wait for the 6.7 and all will make sense. Below a screen of the current RC2

Yes. I see where it's going. Looking at your screenshot I really have to search for, say, the SMB icon, which used to stand out clearly when it used the colourful Windows 7 icon. Now it's identifiable only by its shape and position on the screen. I don't think that as a benefit.

But that doesn't explain why style changes introduced to an rc series are adversely affecting the current stable release. I can choose not to install 6.7-rc but I can't see a way to revert the changes that are affecting 6.6.6. The rc screenshot has more consistency to it than the stable screenshot, which can't be right.

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

It is up to the plugin developers to stick to the original colored icons or use monochrome fonts.

The support of monochrome fonts exists since Unraid 6.4, but nobody used it so far.

Personally I like the icons better for the plugins, but each his own choice.

I can see there's a personal choice involved here and there will never be 100% agreement so perhaps it ought to be made a user option to choose between "functionality" and "style". This still doesn't address my first question though.

As with every design change some people will complain they don't like it. Understandable and ok in my opinion. If it's a new series of cars trying to push a new design language, the packaging of your favorite fast food or some sort of software. In my opinion i always liked the more cleaner design and i think limetech did a great job 

4 minutes ago, bastl said:

As with every design change some people will complain they don't like it. Understandable and ok in my opinion. If it's a new series of cars trying to push a new design language, the packaging of your favorite fast food or some sort of software. In my opinion i always liked the more cleaner design and i think limetech did a great job 

I didn't say I don't like it. I've just installed -rc2 on one server so I can have a play with it. The thing I'm complaining about is that the current stable version has been made to look messy and inconsistent as a direct consequence of changes made to support the new style introduced by the rc. That should not happen. It's the rc that's work in progress, not the stable version. Using the car analogy, someone has partially implemented a redesign of the car I was already driving. In due course I might well choose to own one of the new ones but in the meantime I'd like my old one back, please.

I guess the issue is there are no different branches for the plugins. Always keep in mind mostly one guy is maintaining a specific addon and i guess mostly in their spare time for FREE. Maintaining the addons and maybe make them backwards compatible for lets say 5 years all in their own branches, i don't know. That might be something you overlook. I more like to have a up to date software than an perfect balanced design. Maybe we will see some sort of additional icon packs in the future. Who knows. Maybe you're able to code something like that and maintain it for the community. 😁

2 hours ago, bastl said:

I guess the issue is there are no different branches for the plugins. Always keep in mind mostly one guy is maintaining a specific addon and i guess mostly in their spare time for FREE. Maintaining the addons and maybe make them backwards compatible for lets say 5 years all in their own branches, i don't know. That might be something you overlook. I more like to have a up to date software than an perfect balanced design. Maybe we will see some sort of additional icon packs in the future. Who knows. Maybe you're able to code something like that and maintain it for the community. 😁

There aren't separate branches for plugins but authors can specify which versions of Unraid a plugin update will or won't install on and multiple versions can be and are simultaneously available. The latest version of the Dynamix System Statistics plugin, for example, won't install on Unraid 6.6.6 or earlier, which, in turn, causes the Update Assistant to complain, wrongly, that not all plugins are up to date.

I'm very aware of the hard work the plugin writers do to create and maintain their incredibly useful and highly appreciated plugins and I do keep that in mind at all times, but I'm not asking for backwards compatibility for five years. I just want the plugins to be consistent with the current stable release. Whatever changes have been made, the coloured icons do still remain because they are still displayed on the Plugins page itself, as I explained and illustrated above.

However, on the Settings and Tools pages they are instead displayed as monochrome and that is inconsistent and messy. As an example (and I'm in no way picking on Squid - it's purely an alphabetical thing), the CA Backup/Restore Appdata plugin appears as a "three dimensional" grey safe on the Plugins page, as it always has. On the Settings page it appears as a flat blue shield. Despite the fact that not all plugin authors have yet included monochrome icons, the rc now has a more consistent look to it than the current stable release has because the latter's appearance has been spoilt by the change - and that's a shame, because style changes made to improve the rc series should not have an adverse affect on the current stable release. That is essentially my question 1.

My question 2 is more subjective and, I suppose, it boils down to the question of what is an icon's purpose? If it's just a pretty picture that provides relief on what would otherwise be a boring page of text then, ok, it can be as "stylish" as you like. If, however, it is meant to symbolise the function it represents, be instantly recognisable and quickly found on a page containing many such icons, then as many visual cues as possible need to be squeezed into those few pixels of screen space and I would argue that the older colourful, and more highly detailed icons better serve the purpose. Flat, monochrome, less "realistic" looking icons are just less meaningful. For example, I can easily accept that a three dimensional, grey safe icon represents a backup/restore plugin. A flat, monochrome shield is just a bit more of an abstraction, a little bit further away from what it represents. Given a choice between functional and stylish I'll choose functional every time but it's not impossible for something to be both functional and stylish. It's just more difficult because the idea of what is stylish changes with time while functionality doesn't. Well, that's my view anyway.

Edited by John_M
    Typo

love all the work going into the UI!

I do have a suggestion for that:  Unisapce font for either all the tables/everything or at least the disk identification column. It burn my eyes when all the disk idents don't line up.

Thanks!

I have to agree on this with @John_M   A new version shouldn't interfere with current stable versions.  One way of solving it would be to let plugins have a sort of manifest or settings file.  In there the appropriate icons can be set. If Limetech feel a new version requires a new interface and would prefer plugins to adopt it then, a new entry would be created in that file to accomodate the new style.  Then each version fo Unraid only uses the icon it was assigned for.

As a side note I hate monochrome icons.

When the sidebar icons changed from colour to monochrome in OSX it takes longer for me to work out which one I want.

Style over functionality!!!

Edited by Interstellar
    12 minutes ago, Alexander said:

I vote for the new icons.☺️

All hail the new icons!

BURN THE HERETICS!

8 hours ago, Dephcon said:

It burn my eyes when all the disk idents don't line up.

What do you mean, can you post a screenshot?

37 minutes ago, bonienl said:

What do you mean, can you post a screenshot?

uni-spaced:

WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAXXXXX532 - 2 TB (sdf)
    WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAXXXXX085 - 2 TB (sdt)
    WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMCXXXXX882 - 3 TB (sdh)
    WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMCXXXXX308 - 3 TB (sdn)
    WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMCXXXXX640 - 3 TB (sdq)
    WDC_WD30EZRX-00MMMB0_WD-WCAXXXXX178 - 3 TB (sdr)
    WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WCCXXXXX428 - 3 TB (sds)
    WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMCXXXXX686 - 3 TB (sdu)
    WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMCXXXXX622 - 3 TB (sdk)
    HGST_HDN724040ALE640_PK1338XXXXXNB - 4 TB (sdg)
    ST4000VN000-1H4168_Z304XXXX - 4 TB (sdm)
    ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY0XXXX - 4 TB (sdl)
    HGST_HDN724040ALE640_PKXXXXPCJAZ35S - 4 TB (sdp)
    ST8000VN0022-2EL112_ZA1XXXX5 - 8 TB (sdi)
    ST8000VN0022-2EL112_ZA1XXXXJ - 8 TB (sdj)

VK0800GDJYA_BTWL33XXXXXXXX0RGN - 800 GB (sdc)
    VK0800GDJYA_BTWL33XXXXXXXX0RGN - 800 GB (sdb)	
    VK0800GDJYA_BTWL33XXXXXXXX0RGN - 800 GB (sdd)
    VK0800GDJYA_BTWL33XXXXXXXX0RGN - 800 GB (sde)

non-uni-spaced:

non_unispace.png

Edited by Dephcon

I too, wondered what you meant by uni-spaced but I see now! I would use the term "mono spaced" myself though.  And yes, totally agree!

1 minute ago, rctneil said:

I too, wondered what you meant by uni-spaced but I see now! I would use the term "mono spaced" myself though.  And yes, totally agree!

AH that's the term i was looking for!!!

Just noticed this in the logs during a mover operation.  Don't know that this is RC related.

Feb 7 08:39:17 SPE-UNRAID01 nginx: 2019/02/07 08:39:17 [error] 24097#24097: *2517925 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.0.10.50, server: , request: "POST /webGui/include/Notify.php HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "10.0.10.30:4443", referrer: "https://10.0.10.30:4443/Dashboard"
    Feb 7 08:39:18 SPE-UNRAID01 nginx: 2019/02/07 08:39:18 [error] 24097#24097: *2517925 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.0.10.50, server: , request: "POST /webGui/include/DashUpdate.php HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "10.0.10.30:4443", referrer: "https://10.0.10.30:4443/Dashboard"
    Feb 7 08:39:22 SPE-UNRAID01 nginx: 2019/02/07 08:39:22 [error] 24097#24097: *2517925 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.0.10.50, server: , request: "POST /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "10.0.10.30:4443", referrer: "https://10.0.10.30:4443/Dashboard"

Edited by IamSpartacus

This is now closed for further comments

• Status Definitions

Open = Under consideration.

Solved = The issue has been resolved.

Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

Retest = Please retest in latest release.

Priority Definitions

Minor = Something not working correctly.

Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Other = Announcement or other non-issue.