• Unraid OS version 6.7.0-rc5 available

limetech

As explained here there was a pretty significant flaw introduced way back during Linux kernel 4.19 development having to do with page caching.  The most obvious effect with Unraid was to cause spin-up of drives not involved in large transfers due to cached device top-level directory i-nodes getting reallocated prematurely.  The latest kernel patch release (4.19.24) fixes this issue.

More webGUI refinements are also included.

Version 6.7.0-rc5 2019-02-22

Linux kernel:

• version: 4.19.24

Management:

• update smartmontools drivedb and hwdata/{pci.ids,usb.ids,oui.txt,manuf.txt}
    • webgui: Syslog: sort logs
    • webgui: Dashboard: replace inline style statements for style section
    • webgui: Dashboard: added control buttons
    • webgui: Updated icons and cases
    • webgui: Suppress PHP warnings from corrupted XML files
    • Like 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

here it is on my phone. Like I said, it was working fine up until one of the updates last week but I wasn't able to report it until today.

Image-1.jpg

Just upgraded from 6.6.7 using LSI HBA-mode RAID card. 

LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2004 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Spitfire]

Everything works great so far. All dockers loaded, VMs running, logs are clean.  Great work!

It doesn't like edits to the /boot/config/go file. Is it still needed to bump the size of the logs partition?

Is there any way to do this via webui configuration yet?

darksurf@cold-rewind:/$ cat /boot/config/go
    #!/bin/bash

# Enlarge the LOG partition (because Dynamix System Stats needs at least 186Mb, default LOG is 128Mb)  
    mount -o remount,size=500m /var/log

# Start the Management Utility
    /usr/local/sbin/emhttp -p 80,443 &

Thanks again for the hard work guys! 6.7 is working up to be an excellent release!

19 hours ago, mgworek said:

Here is a screenshot of it on a smaller screen for me. Looks like the boxes are not all the same size and that could be throwing it off? The parity/array box is a little bit bigger and screwing with he alignment.

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 5.41.01 PM.png

This is weird, the 2nd and 3rd table should both be the same size.

When tested this is all working properly for me.

What browser are you using? Try to clear the browser cache (ctrl-F5).

On 2/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, bonienl said:

This is weird, the 2nd and 3rd table should both be the same size.

When tested this is all working properly for me.

What browser are you using? Try to clear the browser cache (ctrl-F5).

Weird. Today it is working fine. When I posted it, I tried it in Safari, Chrome and Firefox. Cleared cache, nothing helped.

Today, its working in all browsers. I have no idea......

31 minutes ago, mgworek said:

Today, its working in all browsers. I have no idea......

image.png.5698b91f215614badec8786f892f2508.png

• Like 5

Will the final build of 6.7.0 include Linux kernel 4.20 or 5.0?
    I've seen some comments from late december that you were hoping to get it in for 6.7.0.

Just wanted to check how that item had moved around on your roadmap :)

Thanks for your hard work!

Edited by Leyaena
    1 hour ago, Leyaena said:

Will the final build of 6.7.0 include Linux kernel 4.20 or 5.0?

Honestly, considering the issues moving to 4.19, looks like Unraid 6.7.0 'stable' will remain on the 4.19 kernel, which btw, is a "long term support" kernel.  For Unraid 6.8 we'll probably skip 4.20 and move right to 5.0.

I know this is not what you were hoping for, but to continue the -rc series on a new kernel is not something we're looking forward to for 6.7 release.

• Upvote 1
    2 hours ago, limetech said:

Honestly, considering the issues moving to 4.19, looks like Unraid 6.7.0 'stable' will remain on the 4.19 kernel, which btw, is a "long term support" kernel.  For Unraid 6.8 we'll probably skip 4.20 and move right to 5.0.

I know this is not what you were hoping for, but to continue the -rc series on a new kernel is not something we're looking forward to for 6.7 release.

I agree.

By the time 6.8 is out 5.1 should be close to finishing with better support for EPYC 2/Ryzen 2/Threadripper refresh and Navi support. AMD is merging code now to bake for 5.1

Any guide on how we can configure Time Machine backups using SMB? This is the reason why I installed 6.7, hoping that it finally works :D

I'm referring to this tweet 

If I create a share and export it on the SMB protocol I don't get any "Yes (TimeMachine)" as I do on the AFP export settings. So not sure how to enable it.

EDIT: I found this on the forum

Time Machine support via SMB.  To enable this feature it is necessary to first turn on Enhanced OS X interoperability on the Settings/SMB page.  Next, select a share to Export for Time Machine in the share SMB Security Settings section.  AFP support is deprecated.

Will test it out once I finish the parity sync!

Edited by bluepr0
    17 hours ago, limetech said:

If that’s the case would it be possible to get an updated drm to support newer i915 GPUs (9900k)?

5 hours ago, bluepr0 said:

Any guide on how we can configure Time Machine backups using SMB? This is the reason why I installed 6.7, hoping that it finally works :D

I'm referring to this tweet 

If I create a share and export it on the SMB protocol I don't get any "Yes (TimeMachine)" as I do on the AFP export settings. So not sure how to enable it.

EDIT: I found this on the forum

Will test it out once I finish the parity sync!

I had Time Machine set up with AFTP on 6.6 but it always seemed flaky and would not be reliable.   Since changing to SMB in 6.7 it's super awesome!  Love it!   Hope it works as well for you.

Hello!

Just wanted to report back. I was able to configure everything and add a time machine volume to my iMac. I was even able to create a first backup. 

However now I'm unable to do more, always get the same error (see image).

The share config is the same as when I successfully finished the first backup, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I've tried restarting my iMac just in case but still no luck.

Any ideas on what I should look at?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2019-03-03 at 16.11.45.png

9 minutes ago, bluepr0 said:

Hello!

Just wanted to report back. I was able to configure everything and add a time machine volume to my iMac. I was even able to create a first backup. 

However now I'm unable to do more, always get the same error (see image).

The share config is the same as when I successfully finished the first backup, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I've tried restarting my iMac just in case but still no luck.

Any ideas on what I should look at?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2019-03-03 at 16.11.45.png

Why don’t you post a screenshot of your share configuration.

5 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Why don’t you post a screenshot of your share configuration.

You are right!. I've now removed the time machine volume on my iMac and added it again so it's creating the first backup again.

Screenshot 2019-03-03 at 16.28.49.png

On 3/2/2019 at 7:15 PM, GreySyntax said:

If that’s the case would it be possible to get an updated drm to support newer i915 GPUs (9900k)?

This was the main reason I was originally asking, as well.

Currently my i9-9900k is working a a lot harder than it should, with Plex being unable to leverage hardware transcoding.

• Like 2
    On 3/2/2019 at 10:15 AM, GreySyntax said:

What do you mean by "updated drm"?  drm is part of the kernel, I don't believe it can be "updated" stand-alone.

2 hours ago, Dazog said:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-DRM-Linux-4.19-Final

Says it landed in 4.19.

Your saying it doesn't work?

If so Intel may have pushed more bits in 4.20.

Looking at 4.19.26 it seems the PCI ID for the 9900k is missing and was later added to 4.20 in the following patch. https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10555527/

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/include/drm/i915_pciids.h?h=v4.19.26#n388

I'll have a go at applying the patch one evening this week 

root:/$ uname -s -r -v -p && lspci | grep 3e98; ls /dev/dri; modprobe i915; ls /dev/dri
    Linux 4.19.24-Unraid #1 SMP Thu Feb 21 11:37:54 PST 2019 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 3e98
    /bin/ls: cannot access '/dev/dri': No such file or directory
    /bin/ls: cannot access '/dev/dri': No such file or directory
    root:/$ dmesg | grep -A 4 -B 8 vga
    [    2.507344] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs) *0
    [    2.507360] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs) *1
    [    2.507375] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs) *0
    [    2.507391] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs) *0
    [    2.507406] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] (IRQs) *0
    [    2.507421] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKF] (IRQs) *0
    [    2.507436] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKG] (IRQs) *0
    [    2.507451] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] (IRQs) *0
    [    2.507758] pci 0000:00:02.0: vgaarb: setting as boot VGA device
    [    2.507758] pci 0000:00:02.0: vgaarb: VGA device added: decodes=io+mem,owns=io+mem,locks=none
    [    2.507758] pci 0000:00:02.0: vgaarb: bridge control possible
    [    2.507758] vgaarb: loaded
    [    2.507758] SCSI subsystem initialized
    [    2.507758] libata version 3.00 loaded.
    [    2.507758] ACPI: bus type USB registered
    [    2.507758] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs

3 hours ago, limetech said:

What do you mean by "updated drm"?  drm is part of the kernel, I don't believe it can be "updated" stand-alone.

Apologies i was looking at the tags in the drm repo on freedesktop, and assumed they were also releasing them independently turns out that's for the user space component.

Edited by GreySyntax

After applying the patch the i915 driver loads and /dev/dri is created. I’ll manually build the kernel for now until Unraid is using a newer kernel 😀

• Like 1
    2 hours ago, GreySyntax said:

After applying the patch the i915 driver loads and /dev/dri is created. I’ll manually build the kernel for now until Unraid is using a newer kernel 😀

what patch?

2 hours ago, GreySyntax said:

edit: seems something isn’t happy in VA

We can easily add that patch to 4.19, but what do you mean by this?

• Like 1
    1 hour ago, limetech said:

We can easily add that patch to 4.19, but what do you mean by this?

libva / vainfo is unable to open the device with an unknown error looks like it may be an issue with me using an outdated intel-vaapi-driver that needs a similar patch I'll dig further tonight.

16 minutes ago, GreySyntax said:

libva / vainfo is unable to open the device with an unknown error looks like it may be an issue with me using an outdated intel-vaapi-driver that needs a similar patch I'll dig further tonight.

@GreySyntax good luck in your quest! I'm hoping to make use of the iGPU with my 9900k on Unraid as well so I wish you the best! It would be awesome to leverage hardware decoding in Plex. I wish I had the know how to participate in your endeavors. 

This is now closed for further comments

• Status Definitions

Open = Under consideration.

Solved = The issue has been resolved.

Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

Retest = Please retest in latest release.

Priority Definitions

Minor = Something not working correctly.

Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Other = Announcement or other non-issue.