• Unraid OS version 6.8 Release Plan

limetech

tldr: If you require hardware support offered by the Linux 5.x kernel then I suggest you remain on 6.8.0-rc7 and wait until 6.9.0-rc1 is published before upgrading.

The "unexpected GSO type" bug is looking to be a show stopper for Unraid 6.8 using Linux kernel 5.3 or 5.4 kernel.  We can get it to happen easily and quickly simply by having any VM running and then also start a docker App where Network Type has been set to "Custom : br0" (in my case) and I've set a static IP for the container or toggle between setting static IP and letting docker dhcp assign one.  There are probably a lot of users waiting for a stable release who will see this issue, and therefore, I don't think we can publish with this bug.

The bug does not occur with any 4.19.x or 4.20.x Linux kernel; but does occur with all kernels starting with 5.0.  This implies the bug was introduced with some code change in the initial 5.0 kernel.  The problem is that we are not certain where to report the bug; it could be a kernel issue or a docker issue.  Of course, it could also be something we are doing wrong, since this issue is not reported in any other distro AFAIK.  We are continuing investigation and putting together a report to submit either to kernel mailing list or as a docker issue.

In any case, an actual fix will probably take quite a bit more time, especially since we are heading into the holidays.  Therefore this is what we plan to do:

For 6.8: revert kernel to 4.19.87 and publish 6.8.0-rc8.  Those currently running stable (6.7.2) will see no loss of functionality because that release is also on 4.19 kernel.  Hopefully this will be last or next to last -rc and then we can publish 6.8 stable.  Note: we cannot revert to 4.20 kernel because that kernel is EOL and has not had any updates in months.

For 6.9: as soon as 6.8 stable is published we'll release 6.9.0-rc1 on next release branch.  This will be exactly the same as 6.8 except that we'll update to latest 5.4 kernel (and "unexpected GSO type" bug will be back).  We will use the next branch to try and solve this bug.

New features, such as multiple pools, will be integrated into 6.10 release, which is current work-in-progress.

We'll wait a day or two to publish 6.8-rc8 with reverted kernel in hopes those affected will see this post first.

• Like 11
    • Thanks 7

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Personally, I am not affected (not using VMs here), but that sounds like a good way forwards.

Edited by S80_UK
    • Like 2
    58 minutes ago, danull said:

The bug linked is still classified as minor but is a showstopper?  😛

Worked the last 4 days to resolve this so sure should be Urgent but as soon as kernel reverted it's back to minor - those classifications are something like the Pirate Code anyway.

• Haha 4
    3 minutes ago, Arandomdood said:

Will we be getting an option to limit size of shares? A lot of us would very much like that :) Thank you. 

Not in 6.8.

5 minutes ago, Arandomdood said:

What about 6.9 or 6.10? :) And when do you think it could be? One month or a few?

I dunno - not even on radar because lots of other features are ahead of it, unless someone comes out with a real compelling need vs want.  This is the wrong place to discuss this, please post in Feature Requests.

It's interesting that there is also the kernel panic issue when setting docker containers to br0 with a custom IP address with certain hardware. This is happening to me on stable (v6.7.2) currently.

It seems that the custom IP address functionality of docker containers on br0 introduces a lot of unexpected issues in general.

Edited by PixelDJ
    • Like 1

@limetech: why 6.9.0-rc1 and not 6.8.1-rc1?

I think it will create some complication if you will roll out 6.8.1 in the future and confuse everyone who needs 5.x kernel and is on 6.9.

18 minutes ago, testdasi said:

@limetech: why 6.9.0-rc1 and not 6.8.1-rc1?

I think it will create some complication if you will roll out 6.8.1 in the future and confuse everyone who needs 5.x kernel and is on 6.9.

We're trying to follow <major>.<minor>.<patch>[-rc<number>] in the traditional sense, meaning once an -rc1 has been published, no new features (though one person's bug fix is another person's feature).  There has been much weeping and gnashing of teeth in the past when we diverge from this "tradition".

Anyway, once 6.8 stable is released, 6.8.1, 6.8.2, etc. will only be bug fixes and/or security updates.  We will keep it on 4.19 kernel.

After first releasing 6.8 stable we'll then release 6.9.0-rc1, which will be the same as 6.8 except for updating kernel.  In particular no new features.  Eventually a 6.9.0-rcX will come along where a fix for "unexpected GSO type" is available, and at that time, after a period of testing, we'll publish that as the new stable.  Also, there are a couple out-of-tree drivers which don't yet compile with 5.4 kernel - those too will probably appear in a 6.9.0-rc release.  So unfortunately for us, we will be maintaining 2 code branches until this is sorted.

We considered taking the current code base, revert kernel back to 4.19, and call that "6.7.3" - but that is too radical for some (refer to first paragraph).  Others will gripe, "hey you said multi-pool support would be in 6.9" but that is unavoidable.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 2

Damn, will have to wait longer to get back the "CPU temp" and other temps working on Ryzen 3000 series (x570 boards) :( . but good idea to not release as "stable" when knowing it's not stable :)

3 hours ago, limetech said:

"hey you said multi-pool support would be in 6.9" but that is unavoidable.

Hey!.... I can wait. You all are awesome to the max.

• Like 4

All makes good sense, thank you. For those of us running 6.8.0-rc7 with no problems (I used a second NIC for VMs), what would you advise? Sticking with rc7 and waiting for 6.9.0-rc1? I don’t need v5 of the kernel for my hardware so I’m not sure which is the best decision?

Edited by Lignumaqua
    13 hours ago, Lignumaqua said:

All makes good sense, thank you. For those of us running 6.8.0-rc7 with no problems (I used a second NIC for VMs), what would you advise? Sticking with rc7 and waiting for 6.9.0-rc1? I don’t need v5 of the kernel for my hardware so I’m not sure which is the best decision?

Good question.  If it works for you I'd stick with -rc7.  You could update and if something is broke, restore 'previous' OS version.

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing.  I think it's for the best to move forward like this.  I know you mentioned that new features will be in 6.10 does that also include Wireguard?  

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, GreenEyedMonster said:

Yes, but do we have to wait till 6.10 or 6.8.  :) I know they will do what is best but for UnRaid in the long term so I just want to know if I should spin up a vm or not. :)

Unraid has added wireguard themselves.

It isn't going away with any release.

It will just get fixes and be better tested by everyone when it's mainlined in the kernel and multiple distro's start offering it.

Sorry, I'm not a very technical person in regards to servers. I have an Unraid machine for basic file storage and Plex but nothing more than that. I am currently running 6.8rc7. I have no issues currently. Should I just stay where I am or upgrade? If I stay where I am, what version should I wait for to start updating again?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, rctneil said:

Sorry, I'm not a very technical person in regards to servers. I have an Unraid machine for basic file storage and Plex but nothing more than that. I am currently running 6.8rc7. I have no issues currently. Should I just stay where I am or upgrade? If I stay where I am, what version should I wait for to start updating again?

Thanks.

If you are running -rc's then you should keep up.  If something breaks for you, then you can roll back to 'previous'.

14 hours ago, rctneil said:

Thanks.

I'm on 6.8.0-rc8. I have dockers/VM's running without issues. I would also like to know if its OK for me to upgrade or to wait till what version?

(edit) Thanks for above response

Edited by XiuzSu