Fixed sqlite db corruption issue.

Removed "vega 10 reset" patch.

Removed "navi reset" patch.

Reverted qemu.

Fixed shfs bug.

Fixed handling of quotes in passwords.

Misc. webGUI fixes.

Other package updates.

Announce /mnt/user0 is deprecated and will be removed in 6.9 release.

Note: if your VM's won't start you need to click on Edit in the VM context page and then just click Update.  This is because of reverting qemu.

Specific changes in [-rcN] are indicated in bold below.

New in Unraid OS 6.8 release:

The unRAIDServer.plg file (update OS) still downloads the new release zip file to RAM but then extracts directly to USB flash boot device.  You will probably notice a slight difference in speed of extract messages. [-rc2] The 'sync' command at the end has been replaced with 'sync -f /boot'.

Forms based authentication
    If you have set a root password for your server, upon boot you'll now see a nice login form.  There still is only one user for Unraid so for username enter root.  This form should be compatible with all major password managers out there.  We always recommend using a strong password.  [-rc2] There is no auto-logout implemented yet, please click Logout on menu bar or completely close your browser to logout.

Linux kernel 5.3

• default scheduler now 'mq-deadline' [-rc2] but this can be changed via Settings/Disk Settings/Scheduler setting.
    • enabled Huge Page support, though no UI control yet
    • binfmt_misc support
    • added "Vega 10 Reset bug" [-rc2] and 'navi-reset' patches removed [-rc5]
    • [-rc2] added oot: Realtek r8125: version 9.002.02
    • [-rc3] additional md/unraid changes and instrumentation
    • more device drivers

Some out-of-tree (oot) drivers are currently omitted either because the source code doesn't compile or driver doesn't work with the 5.3 kernel:

• Intel ixgbe [does not build] (using in-tree driver)
    • Highpoint r750 [does not work]
    • Highpoint rr3740a [does not build]

This is always the risk with including vendor-supplied drivers.  Until the vendor fixes their code we must omit their driver.

md/unraid driver
    Introduced "multi-stream" support:

• Reads on devices which are not being written should run at full speed.  In addition, if you have set the md_write_method tunable to "reconstruct write", then while writing, if any read streams are detected, the write method is switched to "read/modifywrite".
    • Parity sync/check should run at full speed by default.
    • Parity sync/check is throttled back in presence of other active streams.
    • The "stripe pool" resource is automatically shared evenly between all active streams.

As a result got rid of some Tunables:

• md_sync_window
    • md_sync_thresh

and added some tunables:

• md_queue_limit
    • md_sync_limit
    • [-rc2] md_scheduler

Please refer to Settings/Disk Settings help text for description of these settings.

WireGuard support - available as a plugin via Community Apps.  Our WireGuard implementation and UI is still a work-in-process; for this reason we have made this available as a plugin, though the latest WireGuard module is included in our Linux kernel.  Full WireGuard implementation will be merged into Unraid OS itself in a future release.  I want to give special thanks to @bonienl who wrote the plugin with lots of guidance from @ljm42 - thank you!  I also should give a shout out to @NAS who got us rolling on this.  If you don't know about WireGuard it's something to look into!

Guide here:

WS-Discovery support - Finally you can get rid of SMBv1 and get reliable Windows network discovery.  This feature is configured on the Settings/SMB Settings page and enabled by default.

• Also on same settings page is Enable NetBIOS setting.  This is enabled by default, however if you no longer have need for NetBIOS discovery you can turn it off.  When turned off, Samba is configured to accept only SMBv2 protocol and higher.
    • Added mDNS client support in Unraid OS.  This means, for example, from an Unraid OS terminal session to ping another Unraid OS server on your network you can use (e.g., 'tower'):
      ping tower.local
      instead of
      ping tower
      Note the latter will still work if you have NetBIOS enabled.

User Share File System (shfs) changes:

• Integrated FUSE-3 - This should increase performance of User Share File System.
    • Fixed bug with hard link support.  Previously a 'stat' on two directory entries referring to same file would return different i-node numbers, thus making it look like two independent files.  This has been fixed however there is a config setting on Settings/Global Share Settings called "Tunable (support hard links)".  [-rc2 ] Fixed the default value Yes, but with certain very old media and DVD players which access shares via NFS, you may need to set this to No.
      [-rc5] Fixed not accounting for devices not mounted yet.
    • Note: if you have custom config/extra.cfg file, get rid of it.

Other improvements/bug fixes:

• Format - during Format any running parity sync/check is automatically Paused and then resumed upon Format completion.
    • Encryption - an entered passphrase is not saved to any file.
    • Fixed bug where multi-device btrfs pool was leaving metadata set to dup instead of raid1.
    • Several other small bug fixes and improvements.
    • [-rc5] Fixed bug where quotes were not handled properly in passwords.
    • Numerous base package updates [-rc2] including updating PHP to version 7.3.x, Samba to version 4.11.x.

Known Issues and Other Errata

• Some users have reported slower parity sync/check rates for very wide arrays (20+ devices) vs. 6.7 and earlier releases - we are still studying this problem.
    • If you are using Unassigned Devices plugin with encrypted volumes, you must use the file method of specifying the encryption passphrase.  Note that a file containing your passphrase must consist of a single null-terminated string with no other line ending characters such as LF or CR/LF.
    • In another step toward better security, the USB flash boot device is configured so that programs and scripts residing there cannot be directly executed (this is because the 'x' bit is set now only for directories).  Commands placed in the 'go' file still execute because during startup, that file is copied to /tmp first and then executed from there.  If you have created custom scripts you may need to take a similar approach.
    • AFP is now deprecated and we plan to remove support in Unraid 6.9 release.
    • The /mnt/user0 mount point is now deprecated and we plan to remove in Unraid 6.9 release.

A note on password strings

Password strings can contain any character however white space (space and tab characters) is handled specially:

• all leading and trailing white space is discarded
    • multiple embedded white space is collapsed to a single space character.

By contrast, encryption passphrase is used exactly as-is.

Version 6.8.0-rc5 2019-11-01

Base distro:

• btrfs-progs: version 5.3.1
    • kernel-firmware: version 20191025_340e06e
    • libedit: version 20191025_3.1
    • librsvg: version 2.46.3
    • mozilla-firefox: version 70.0 (CVE-2018-6156, CVE-2019-15903, CVE-2019-11757, CVE-2019-11759, CVE-2019-11760, CVE-2019-11761, CVE-2019-11762, CVE-2019-11763, CVE-2019-11765, CVE-2019-17000, CVE-2019-17001, CVE-2019-17002, CVE-2019-11764)
    • php: version 7.3.11 (CVE-2019-11043)
    • qemu: version 4.0.1 [revert from 4.1.0]
    • samba: version 4.11.2 (CVE-2019-10218, CVE-2019-14833, CVE-2019-14847)
    • xkeyboard-config: version 2.28

Linux kernel:

• version 5.3.8
    • patch: fix_vega_reset [removed]
    • patch: navi_reset [removed]
    • oot: md/unraid: version 2.9.12 (do not fail read-ahead)

Management:

• emhttp: fix improper handling of embedded quote characters in a password
    • shfs: fix bug not accounting for device(s) not mounted yet
    • webgui: Fixed: undo cleanup of disk.png
    • webgui: Fixed typo in help text
    • webgui: Unraid fonts and cases update
    • webgui: Dashboard: fixed user write + read counts
    • webgui: Dashboard: WG tunnel handshake in days when longer than 24 hours

Edited by limetech

• Thanks 7

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Still not having any luck with performance on the array on RC5 vs. RC4.  It doesn't look to be completely locking-up I/O causing explorer to stop responding anymore, but it's almost pinning the CPU >80% and periodically bursting data (very slowly) to the array, making things unusable:

Gallery here.

https://imgur.com/a/YeF5Q45

Introduced "multi-stream" support:

Reads on devices which are not being written should run at full speed.  In addition, if you have set the md_write_method tunable to "reconstruct write", then while writing, if any read streams are detected, the write method is switched to "read/modifywrite".

Parity sync/check should run at full speed by default.

Parity sync/check is throttled back in presence of other active streams.

The "stripe pool" resource is automatically shared evenly between all active streams.

As a result got rid of some Tunables:

md_sync_window

md_sync_thresh

and added some tunables:

md_queue_limit

md_sync_limit

[-rc2] md_scheduler

I can already tell this is running really well.  Big improvement!

Thanks,

craigr

1 hour ago, dgriff said:

Still not having any luck with performance on the array on RC5 vs. RC4.  It doesn't look to be completely locking-up I/O causing explorer to stop responding anymore, but it's almost pinning the CPU >80% and periodically bursting data (very slowly) to the array, making things unusable:

Gallery here.

https://imgur.com/a/YeF5Q45

We need diagnostics

Reverting qemu fixed the problem I had with my Windows 10 VM when I had to manually detach my Logitech unifying receiver and then re-attach it to my VM in order to use my mouse/keyboard in the VM.

17 hours ago, MisterK said:

I also experienced the 'Array Stopped...Starting Services' message in RC4.  If I disabled or enabled either Dockers or VMs in settings then the status would immediately go to 'Array Started' as soon as I selected either option.  Since re-creating the docker and libvirt image files, I no longer see this issue.  Even when I had the issue with the Array Stopped message, all of my dockers, vms and array operated as normal.  

I also am experiencing this:  (the array is up, all my dockers started ok)

I went from RC3 to RC5.

I tried logging in again same status below...

image.png.e2332d67ac1d43b9dd6f211783849680.png

I forgot to mention, I'am also affected by "starting services". 2 scripts are triggered with starting the array and running with success. One syncs a icon folder and one pings a synology nas.

With /mnt/user0/ being removed in 6.9 will there be a replacement? I currently have a script that organizes photos & videos in /mnt/user0/ . /mnt/user/ shows all files, /mnt/user0/ only shows files on the array, /mnt/cache/ only shows files on the cache drives

Edited by wh0_cares

besides the already mentioned "status" cosmetic thing i had a issue while upgrading from rc4 to rc5, system stalled on reboot and screen was here.

First time i had something like this ...

image.thumb.png.e26e3d0b9325c08e6297868aad294564.png

i waited a while and then hard rebooted, all good after reboot

7 hours ago, alturismo said:

First time i had something like this ...

I don't see a problem there. It looks like a mouse being detected.

This version still has terrible array performance compared to rc1.  Ive tried every version since rc1.  Both vanilla and Nvidia build and it’s the same poor array performance.  It’s not quite as bad as 6.7 but it’s still unusable to stream videos if you’re running parity or mover.  I don’t have this problem with rc1 at all.

I see other people posting this and it seems to be ignored?  The biggest thing about 6.8 was supposed to be fixed array performance.  But yet it’s regressed since rc1.

ill post logs of my Nvidia build if anyone cares.  I’m not reflashing vanilla as this is like the 14th time I’ve installed back and forth.  I tried rc5 vanilla first and it performed exactly the same as Nvidia.

• Like 1
    8 minutes ago, sittingmongoose said:

This version still has terrible array performance compared to rc1.  Ive tried every version since rc1.  Both vanilla and Nvidia build and it’s the same poor array performance.  It’s not quite as bad as 6.7 but it’s still unusable to stream videos if you’re running parity or mover.  I don’t have this problem with rc1 at all.

I see other people posting this and it seems to be ignored?  The biggest thing about 6.8 was supposed to be fixed array performance.  But yet it’s regressed since rc1.

ill post logs of my Nvidia build if anyone cares.  I’m not reflashing vanilla as this is like the 14th time I’ve installed back and forth.  I tried rc5 vanilla first and it performed exactly the same as Nvidia.

Here's where you're going to face issues, and it's no fault of LimeTech and no fault of the LinuxServer.IO folks.

Any reasonable person can not expect the vendor (LimeTech) to support distributions that are not maintained or produced by them. They have limited time and can not look into anything without users following the proper troubleshooting and bug reporting process.

Any reasonable person can not expect the community developers (LinuxServer.IO) to support functionality that is entirely outside what they made changes to.

• Like 1

Except they fixed the issue in rc1.....then broke it afterwards.  

the whole point to 6,8 was fixing the array performance issues, yet it’s degraded since the first beta.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:05 AM, sittingmongoose said:

Except they fixed the issue in rc1.....then broke it afterwards.  

You can help a lot by describing in more detail the I/O patterns that lead to this.  For example, suppose you wanted to describe to someone how to reproduce the error - how would you describe it?  Saying, "bad performance still" does not help.

Edited by limetech
    removed derogatory phrase
    • Haha 2

If I am running parity check or mover, I can no longer stream videos in Plex without serious buffering.  Same as in 6.7.  Which many many people complained about.

In rc1 I am able to run both mover and parity check and still stream multiple 4K streams from my array without issue.

Edit: I have attached my diags.  The issue happened at 11:30am EST.  Someone was trying to stream 1080p remux while my parity check was running and it was buffering badly for them.  

9900k-diagnostics-20191103-1935.zip

Edited by sittingmongoose

I'm also noticing the stuck on starting services issue on both my servers. unlike others I DID NOT have this issue on RC4, it is new for my in RC5. Everything seems to be working ok though, so cosmetic only as others have stated.

Edited by weirdcrap

I have the same problem with array performance on rc5 and the last versions. I didn't test rc1 because I started with rc3.

When the mover runs shares become completely inaccessible and streams completely stop. 

I have two Samsung 860 EVO 1TB in RAID 1 (btrfs) assigned to cache.

Changing the priority in CA Mover Tuning to Low and even very low didn't change a thing.

Iowait is really high. Up to 84 sometimes. Usually about 50-60 with really high cpu usage.

Turbo write is disabled, but didn't make a difference when enabled.

did anyone notice "VMs switching" 

Like i had an old "debian" VM (but ive deleted it some days/weeks ago)

and i had a "pfsense" VM

ANd i had a "Windows 10" VM (my main VM)

After upgrading i wanna to start my windows 10 vm again (bc in previior versions it was bugged, want to check if it works again)

Clicked "Windows 10" VM, and jujst clicked upgraded like in the description.

Now i have

\\192.168.86.2\domains\Debian pfsense (???)

\\192.168.86.2\domains\pfsense (correct)

\\192.168.86.2\domains\Windows 10 (correct) (but empty)

My "Windows 10" VM was renamed to "Debian pfsense"???

I dont know if it was that update, or another one before, am i the only one?

and still the same sh..

Nov 4 00:33:21 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: fb f1 df df 73 65 3a e6 d5 fe eb 74 c5 f2 4f 9d ....se:....t..O.
    Nov 4 00:33:21 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: 77 69 a4 92 f2 70 f7 7b 85 79 2f b9 79 b4 af 7a wi...p.{.y/.y..z
    Nov 4 00:33:21 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: unexpected GSO type: 0x0, gso_size 1302, hdr_len 1368
    Nov 4 00:33:21 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: ef 7f 71 8a 71 fc 27 cf b7 24 59 fe 4e 09 b7 ba ..q.q.'..$Y.N...
    Nov 4 00:33:21 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: 99 74 bc 66 c4 f0 91 6f 36 d3 89 1f 51 b0 13 e9 .t.f...o6...Q...
    Nov 4 00:33:21 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: e7 6d f8 17 0d 5c f6 91 fd 8d 7a d4 65 9b 3c 78 .m...\....z.e.<x
    Nov 4 00:33:21 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: d1 2e 82 5f 78 e5 7d 57 35 6d df 0a fa 72 73 6c ..._x.}W5m...rsl
    Nov 4 00:33:31 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: unexpected GSO type: 0x0, gso_size 386, hdr_len 452
    Nov 4 00:33:31 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: f7 8e fd 35 f3 4b 0e 20 5e 1d 6f 00 53 36 0a ed ...5.K. ^.o.S6..
    Nov 4 00:33:31 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: c8 d2 a2 43 83 88 ff ff 40 10 11 00 00 c9 ff ff ...C....@.......
    Nov 4 00:33:31 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: 00 00 00 00 98 d2 0c 8e f0 37 51 02 00 c9 ff ff .........7Q.....
    Nov 4 00:33:31 Unraid-Server kernel: tun: 01 e9 c0 fa 77 ff 7c ab 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....w.|.........

@nuhll You know that the name of the folder when a VM first is created uses the name of the VM you put into the gui. Changing the name of the VM later via xml or gui doesn't change the folder the vdisk is placed in. Are you sure your VM was named Debian and you never had a "Debian pfsense" VM?

So if you use an existing VM to install a new OS as guest OS let's say you switch from Debian to Windows the folder name doesn't change 😁 If that's the issue you're talking about, it's not a real issue with unraid. In case the real name of the VM is shown wrong in the list of VMs in Unraid, that might be a problem.