Fixed sqlite db corruption issue.

Removed "vega 10 reset" patch.

Removed "navi reset" patch.

Reverted qemu.

Fixed shfs bug.

Fixed handling of quotes in passwords.

Misc. webGUI fixes.

Other package updates.

Announce /mnt/user0 is deprecated and will be removed in 6.9 release.

Note: if your VM's won't start you need to click on Edit in the VM context page and then just click Update.  This is because of reverting qemu.

Specific changes in [-rcN] are indicated in bold below.

New in Unraid OS 6.8 release:

The unRAIDServer.plg file (update OS) still downloads the new release zip file to RAM but then extracts directly to USB flash boot device.  You will probably notice a slight difference in speed of extract messages. [-rc2] The 'sync' command at the end has been replaced with 'sync -f /boot'.

Forms based authentication
    If you have set a root password for your server, upon boot you'll now see a nice login form.  There still is only one user for Unraid so for username enter root.  This form should be compatible with all major password managers out there.  We always recommend using a strong password.  [-rc2] There is no auto-logout implemented yet, please click Logout on menu bar or completely close your browser to logout.

Linux kernel 5.3

• default scheduler now 'mq-deadline' [-rc2] but this can be changed via Settings/Disk Settings/Scheduler setting.
    • enabled Huge Page support, though no UI control yet
    • binfmt_misc support
    • added "Vega 10 Reset bug" [-rc2] and 'navi-reset' patches removed [-rc5]
    • [-rc2] added oot: Realtek r8125: version 9.002.02
    • [-rc3] additional md/unraid changes and instrumentation
    • more device drivers

Some out-of-tree (oot) drivers are currently omitted either because the source code doesn't compile or driver doesn't work with the 5.3 kernel:

• Intel ixgbe [does not build] (using in-tree driver)
    • Highpoint r750 [does not work]
    • Highpoint rr3740a [does not build]

This is always the risk with including vendor-supplied drivers.  Until the vendor fixes their code we must omit their driver.

md/unraid driver
    Introduced "multi-stream" support:

• Reads on devices which are not being written should run at full speed.  In addition, if you have set the md_write_method tunable to "reconstruct write", then while writing, if any read streams are detected, the write method is switched to "read/modifywrite".
    • Parity sync/check should run at full speed by default.
    • Parity sync/check is throttled back in presence of other active streams.
    • The "stripe pool" resource is automatically shared evenly between all active streams.

As a result got rid of some Tunables:

• md_sync_window
    • md_sync_thresh

and added some tunables:

• md_queue_limit
    • md_sync_limit
    • [-rc2] md_scheduler

Please refer to Settings/Disk Settings help text for description of these settings.

WireGuard support - available as a plugin via Community Apps.  Our WireGuard implementation and UI is still a work-in-process; for this reason we have made this available as a plugin, though the latest WireGuard module is included in our Linux kernel.  Full WireGuard implementation will be merged into Unraid OS itself in a future release.  I want to give special thanks to @bonienl who wrote the plugin with lots of guidance from @ljm42 - thank you!  I also should give a shout out to @NAS who got us rolling on this.  If you don't know about WireGuard it's something to look into!

Guide here:

WS-Discovery support - Finally you can get rid of SMBv1 and get reliable Windows network discovery.  This feature is configured on the Settings/SMB Settings page and enabled by default.

• Also on same settings page is Enable NetBIOS setting.  This is enabled by default, however if you no longer have need for NetBIOS discovery you can turn it off.  When turned off, Samba is configured to accept only SMBv2 protocol and higher.
    • Added mDNS client support in Unraid OS.  This means, for example, from an Unraid OS terminal session to ping another Unraid OS server on your network you can use (e.g., 'tower'):
      ping tower.local
      instead of
      ping tower
      Note the latter will still work if you have NetBIOS enabled.

User Share File System (shfs) changes:

• Integrated FUSE-3 - This should increase performance of User Share File System.
    • Fixed bug with hard link support.  Previously a 'stat' on two directory entries referring to same file would return different i-node numbers, thus making it look like two independent files.  This has been fixed however there is a config setting on Settings/Global Share Settings called "Tunable (support hard links)".  [-rc2 ] Fixed the default value Yes, but with certain very old media and DVD players which access shares via NFS, you may need to set this to No.
      [-rc5] Fixed not accounting for devices not mounted yet.
    • Note: if you have custom config/extra.cfg file, get rid of it.

Other improvements/bug fixes:

• Format - during Format any running parity sync/check is automatically Paused and then resumed upon Format completion.
    • Encryption - an entered passphrase is not saved to any file.
    • Fixed bug where multi-device btrfs pool was leaving metadata set to dup instead of raid1.
    • Several other small bug fixes and improvements.
    • [-rc5] Fixed bug where quotes were not handled properly in passwords.
    • Numerous base package updates [-rc2] including updating PHP to version 7.3.x, Samba to version 4.11.x.

Known Issues and Other Errata

• Some users have reported slower parity sync/check rates for very wide arrays (20+ devices) vs. 6.7 and earlier releases - we are still studying this problem.
    • If you are using Unassigned Devices plugin with encrypted volumes, you must use the file method of specifying the encryption passphrase.  Note that a file containing your passphrase must consist of a single null-terminated string with no other line ending characters such as LF or CR/LF.
    • In another step toward better security, the USB flash boot device is configured so that programs and scripts residing there cannot be directly executed (this is because the 'x' bit is set now only for directories).  Commands placed in the 'go' file still execute because during startup, that file is copied to /tmp first and then executed from there.  If you have created custom scripts you may need to take a similar approach.
    • AFP is now deprecated and we plan to remove support in Unraid 6.9 release.
    • The /mnt/user0 mount point is now deprecated and we plan to remove in Unraid 6.9 release.

A note on password strings

Password strings can contain any character however white space (space and tab characters) is handled specially:

• all leading and trailing white space is discarded
    • multiple embedded white space is collapsed to a single space character.

By contrast, encryption passphrase is used exactly as-is.

Version 6.8.0-rc5 2019-11-01

Base distro:

• btrfs-progs: version 5.3.1
    • kernel-firmware: version 20191025_340e06e
    • libedit: version 20191025_3.1
    • librsvg: version 2.46.3
    • mozilla-firefox: version 70.0 (CVE-2018-6156, CVE-2019-15903, CVE-2019-11757, CVE-2019-11759, CVE-2019-11760, CVE-2019-11761, CVE-2019-11762, CVE-2019-11763, CVE-2019-11765, CVE-2019-17000, CVE-2019-17001, CVE-2019-17002, CVE-2019-11764)
    • php: version 7.3.11 (CVE-2019-11043)
    • qemu: version 4.0.1 [revert from 4.1.0]
    • samba: version 4.11.2 (CVE-2019-10218, CVE-2019-14833, CVE-2019-14847)
    • xkeyboard-config: version 2.28

Linux kernel:

• version 5.3.8
    • patch: fix_vega_reset [removed]
    • patch: navi_reset [removed]
    • oot: md/unraid: version 2.9.12 (do not fail read-ahead)

Management:

• emhttp: fix improper handling of embedded quote characters in a password
    • shfs: fix bug not accounting for device(s) not mounted yet
    • webgui: Fixed: undo cleanup of disk.png
    • webgui: Fixed typo in help text
    • webgui: Unraid fonts and cases update
    • webgui: Dashboard: fixed user write + read counts
    • webgui: Dashboard: WG tunnel handshake in days when longer than 24 hours

Edited by limetech

• Thanks 7

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

Before you roll back or reboot, post your diagnostics.  From the command prompt, you can get them via

diagnostics

Oops. I already did.

If it happens again with rc3, I'll post a new thread. If it doesn't, I'll upgrade again this weekend and post the diagnostics if/when it happens again.

13 hours ago, Peanutman85 said:

If it happens again with rc3, I'll post a new thread.

Don't bother. Either run the latest RC and provide diagnostics, or run a stable release and wait.

I'm unable to upgrade from RC3 to RC5.  My server reaches the Unraid boot screen (see attached) and just resets.  It just continuously does this.  Should I post diagnostics when I do the upgrade but pre reboot?

Untitled.png

2 minutes ago, IamSpartacus said:

I'm unable to upgrade from RC3 to RC5.  My server reaches the Unraid boot screen (see attached) and just resets.  It just continuously does this.  Should I post diagnostics when I do the upgrade but pre reboot?

Untitled.png

Checkdisk on flash. Copy previous folder to root. Try upgrade again.

14 minutes ago, trurl said:

Checkdisk on flash. Copy previous folder to root. Try upgrade again.

I've tried the update 3 times (with copying previous back to flash each time).  Also tried booting to safe mode, no difference.  But yea I'll do a checkdisk on the flash.

EDIT:  Windows found no errors on the flash drive with a chkdsk.  Is there any where I can directly download RC5 so I can install it fresh on a USB to test?

EDIT 2:  Found the direct DL link.  Gonna test installing it fresh.

Edited by IamSpartacus

Sometimes flash turns bad after a few updates, it happened to me more than one, when that happens I recreate the flash drive from scratch and it solves the problem, I use diskpart but using the Unraid flash creator should also work, if that doesn't help it could be some compatibility issue with the new kernel/release.

This is to use diskpart:

Backup your flash drive then open a command prompt window as administrator, then type, in this order:

-diskpart
    -list disk
    -select disk x (x=your flash drive)
    -clean
    -create partition primary
    -format fs=fat32 label=UNRAID quick
    -active
    -assign
    -exit

-close cmd window
    -restore files from flash backup
    -execute make_bootable as admin

Fresh install with the same USB did not work.  Trying a fresh install with a new USB.  That should tell me if it's some kind of comparability with the new kernel.  I am running an EPYC 7302p system so maybe it's too new for the kernel?  RC3 works without issue though. 

I should also note I had this same issue trying to upgrade to RC4 so that's when the change that is affecting me happened.

EDIT:  Yup, even a brand new USB with a fresh install of RC5 won't boot.  Guess I'm stuck on RC3.  Will providing diagnostics while RC3 is installed help in any way?

Edited by IamSpartacus

See if the system pings even being stuck at that point. Mine booted but was stuck at that screen. I've seen an issue post bios flash for Ryzen 1.0.0.3 Abba. Ended up clearing the CMOS and that corrected it.

Edited by phbigred
    6 minutes ago, phbigred said:

See if the system pings even being stuck at that point. Mine booted but was stuck at that screen. I've seen an issue post bios flash for Ryzen 1.0.0.3 Abba. Ended up clearing the CMOS and that corrected it.

It's definitely not pingable, I'm watching the system via IPMI and it just resets the server completely back to the BIOS screen.

Edited by IamSpartacus

Try booting in GUI mode.   There have been reports of some systems only being able to boot in GUI mode although the cause has never been udentified

48 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Try booting in GUI mode.   There have been reports of some systems only being able to boot in GUI mode although the cause has never been udentified

30 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

I don't recall reading if you had or not but did you check for a BIOS update?

Just tried GUI mode, no dice.  Reset the CMOS, no dice.  I'm on the latest version of my BIOS which is pretty new.  I'm stuck on RC3 for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, IamSpartacus said:

Just tried GUI mode, no dice.  Reset the CMOS, no dice.  I'm on the latest version of my BIOS which is pretty new.  I'm stuck on RC3 for the foreseeable future.

If you're feeling spunky, try downgrading your BIOS a version.

1 minute ago, jbartlett said:

If you're feeling spunky, try downgrading your BIOS a version.

Not an option, latest BIOS version fixed a major issue so it's not worth even going down that path.

2 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

I am running an EPYC 7302p system so maybe it's too new for the kernel?  RC3 works without issue though. 

AMD microcode is distributed as part of "kernel firmware":

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/log/

We have been updating kernel firmware with each -rc.  You can look at change log to see that after -rc3 there were 2 updates then you can look at above link to see that AMD microcode as updated.  Probably AMD broke something.

7 minutes ago, limetech said:

AMD microcode is distributed as part of "kernel firmware":

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/log/

We have been updating kernel firmware with each -rc.  You can look at change log to see that after -rc3 there were 2 updates then you can look at above link to see that AMD microcode as updated.  Probably AMD broke something.

I see there was this on 10-22.  My guess is you are right and AMD broke something.  Hopefully it gets patched in a future kernel firmware update.

2019-10-22	linux-firmware: Update AMD cpu microcode20191022

@IamSpartacus long shot, do you have any special kernel parameters you are passing along besides the default kernel values? I assume not unless you added custom values to both standard and gui modes lines.

18 hours ago, cybrnook said:

@IamSpartacus long shot, do you have any special kernel parameters you are passing along besides the default kernel values? I assume not unless you added custom values to both standard and gui modes lines.

Didnt think of that.  I am doing PCIE ACS override and isolating some cores.

1 hour ago, WizADSL said:

Another long shot, have you tried booting EFI?

I was also going to recommend this @IamSpartacus. I've experienced something similar when I was booting ESXi and switching EFI / Legacy boot resolved it.

3 hours ago, Lev said:

I was also going to recommend this @IamSpartacus. I've experienced something similar when I was booting ESXi and switching EFI / Legacy boot resolved it.

Yes that was one of the first things I tried since it was a quick and easy try.  No dice.

Just an observation on my Threadripper 2990WX with a test VM using QEMU Emulated CPU's. If I overclock the CPU via the BIOS, even just a teeny little bit, my Win10 VM becomes extremely sluggish, even just to start the spinning circles at boot. The one time it actually managed to get to the Desktop, the mouse pointer was jumping around like it was running at 5fps. Go back to stock settings in the BIOS, no issues.

• Haha 1

@jbartlett Never experienced this issue on my 1950x with OC. Windows VMs with and without passthrough, default template or tweaked settings, I never noticed something you described. Maybe an temp issue?! What cooling solution are you using?

Just now, bastl said:

@jbartlett Never experienced this issue on my 1950x with OC. Windows VMs with and without passthrough, default template or tweaked settings, I never noticed something you described. Maybe an temp issue?! What cooling solution are you using?

Noctua cooler & fans. Had no issues with other types of VM's with OVMF BIOS or bare metal, even with a much higher OC. Just started tinkering with Seabios to test if ingesting two Brio 4k cams set to 1080p@60 is more steady via a passthrough USB3 4 controller card. A Quadro P2000 is also passed through.

6 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

Noctua cooler & fans. Had no issues with other types of VM's with OVMF BIOS or bare metal, even with a much higher OC. Just started tinkering with Seabios to test if ingesting two Brio 4k cams set to 1080p@60 is more steady via a passthrough USB3 4 controller card. A Quadro P2000 is also passed through.

So you only experiencing this with i440fx VMs? Maybe I have some time tomorrow to test i440 on 6.8 RC. I'am running all my VMs on Q35 for quiet some time now without any problems.

Edited by bastl