• Unraid OS version 6.8.0-rc6 available

limetech
    • Closed

-rc6 tldr:

Updated kernel and Intel microcode for yet another hardware vulnerability.

Update to latest qemu stable patch release: 4.1.1

Support UD passphrase-encrypted volumes.

Misc. webGUI fixes.

Other package updates.

Specific changes in [-rcN] are indicated in bold below.

New in Unraid OS 6.8 release:

The unRAIDServer.plg file (update OS) still downloads the new release zip file to RAM but then extracts directly to USB flash boot device.  You will probably notice a slight difference in speed of extract messages. [-rc2] The 'sync' command at the end has been replaced with 'sync -f /boot'.

Forms based authentication
    If you have set a root password for your server, upon boot you'll now see a nice login form.  There still is only one user for Unraid so for username enter root.  This form should be compatible with all major password managers out there.  We always recommend using a strong password.  [-rc2] There is no auto-logout implemented yet, please click Logout on menu bar or completely close your browser to logout.

Linux kernel 5.3

• default scheduler now 'mq-deadline' [-rc2] but this can be changed via Settings/Disk Settings/Scheduler setting.
    • enabled Huge Page support, though no UI control yet
    • binfmt_misc support
    • added "Vega 10 Reset bug" [-rc2] and 'navi-reset' patches removed [-rc5]
    • [-rc2] added oot: Realtek r8125: version 9.002.02
    • [-rc3] additional md/unraid changes and instrumentation
    • [-rc6] fix chelsio missing firmware
    • more device drivers

Some out-of-tree (oot) drivers are currently omitted either because the source code doesn't compile or driver doesn't work with the 5.3 kernel:

• Intel ixgbe [does not build] (using in-tree driver)
    • Highpoint r750 [does not work]
    • Highpoint rr3740a [does not build]

This is always the risk with including vendor-supplied drivers.  Until the vendor fixes their code we must omit their driver.

md/unraid driver
    Introduced "multi-stream" support:

• Reads on devices which are not being written should run at full speed.  In addition, if you have set the md_write_method tunable to "reconstruct write", then while writing, if any read streams are detected, the write method is switched to "read/modifywrite".
    • Parity sync/check should run at full speed by default.
    • Parity sync/check is throttled back in presence of other active streams.
    • The "stripe pool" resource is automatically shared evenly between all active streams.

As a result got rid of some Tunables:

• md_sync_window
    • md_sync_thresh

and added some tunables:

• md_queue_limit
    • md_sync_limit
    • [-rc2] md_scheduler

Please refer to Settings/Disk Settings help text for description of these settings.

WireGuard support - available as a plugin via Community Apps.  Our WireGuard implementation and UI is still a work-in-process; for this reason we have made this available as a plugin, though the latest WireGuard module is included in our Linux kernel.  Full WireGuard implementation will be merged into Unraid OS itself in a future release.  I want to give special thanks to @bonienl who wrote the plugin with lots of guidance from @ljm42 - thank you!  I also should give a shout out to @NAS who got us rolling on this.  If you don't know about WireGuard it's something to look into!

Guide here:

WS-Discovery support - Finally you can get rid of SMBv1 and get reliable Windows network discovery.  This feature is configured on the Settings/SMB Settings page and enabled by default.

• Also on same settings page is Enable NetBIOS setting.  This is enabled by default, however if you no longer have need for NetBIOS discovery you can turn it off.  When turned off, Samba is configured to accept only SMBv2 protocol and higher.
    • Added mDNS client support in Unraid OS.  This means, for example, from an Unraid OS terminal session to ping another Unraid OS server on your network you can use (e.g., 'tower'):
      ping tower.local
      instead of
      ping tower
      Note the latter will still work if you have NetBIOS enabled.

User Share File System (shfs) changes:

• Integrated FUSE-3 - This should increase performance of User Share File System.
    • Fixed bug with hard link support.  Previously a 'stat' on two directory entries referring to same file would return different i-node numbers, thus making it look like two independent files.  This has been fixed however there is a config setting on Settings/Global Share Settings called "Tunable (support hard links)".  [-rc2 ] Fixed the default value Yes, but with certain very old media and DVD players which access shares via NFS, you may need to set this to No.
      [-rc5] Fixed not accounting for devices not mounted yet.
    • Note: if you have custom config/extra.cfg file, get rid of it.

Other improvements/bug fixes:

• Format - during Format any running parity sync/check is automatically Paused and then resumed upon Format completion.
    • Encryption - an entered passphrase is not saved to any file.
    • Fixed bug where multi-device btrfs pool was leaving metadata set to dup instead of raid1.
    • Several other small bug fixes and improvements.
    • [-rc5] Fixed bug where quotes were not handled properly in passwords.
    • Numerous base package updates [-rc2] including updating PHP to version 7.3.x, Samba to version 4.11.x.

Known Issues and Other Errata

• Some users have reported slower parity sync/check rates for very wide arrays (20+ devices) vs. 6.7 and earlier releases - we are still studying this problem.
    • [-rc6] this is fixed: If you are using Unassigned Devices plugin with encrypted volumes, you must use the file method of specifying the encryption passphrase.  Note that a file containing your passphrase must consist of a single null-terminated string with no other line ending characters such as LF or CR/LF.
    • In another step toward better security, the USB flash boot device is configured so that programs and scripts residing there cannot be directly executed (this is because the 'x' bit is set now only for directories).  Commands placed in the 'go' file still execute because during startup, that file is copied to /tmp first and then executed from there.  If you have created custom scripts you may need to take a similar approach.
    • AFP is now deprecated and we plan to remove support in Unraid 6.9 release.
    • The /mnt/user0 mount point is now deprecated and we plan to remove in Unraid 6.9 release.

A note on password strings

Password strings can contain any character however white space (space and tab characters) is handled specially:

• all leading and trailing white space is discarded
    • multiple embedded white space is collapsed to a single space character.

By contrast, encryption passphrase is used exactly as-is.

Version 6.8.0-rc6 2019-11-15

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0
    • adwaita-icon-theme: version 3.34.3
    • cpio: version 2.13
    • cryptsetup: version 2.2.2
    • curl: version 7.67.0
    • docker: version 19.03.5
    • git: version 2.24.0
    • harfbuzz: version 2.6.4
    • hostname: version 3.23
    • intel-microcode: version 20191113
    • kernel-firmware: version 20191108_f1100d
    • libvirt: version 5.9.0
    • libxml2: version 2.9.10
    • libxslt: version 1.1.34
    • lvm2: version 2.03.06
    • mkfontscale: version 1.2.1
    • mozilla-firefox: version 70.0.1
    • ncurses: version 6.1_20191026
    • qemu: version 4.1.1 (CVE-2019-14378, CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130, CVE-2019-12068, CVE-2019-11091)
    • shared-mime-info: version 1.15
    • sudo: version 1.8.29
    • ttyd: version 20191025
    • xorg-server: version 1.20.5
    • xterm: version 350
    • zstd: version 1.4.4

Linux kernel:

• version 5.3.11

Management:

• add missing chelsio firmware
    • emhttpd: properly handle encoded passwords
    • emhttpd: correct footer notifications
    • emhttpd: solve deadlock issue with 'emcmd' called from a plugin
    • webgui: Submit passphrases and passwords in base64 format
    • webgui: Fixed typo in shares settings
    • webgui: Change dashbord link for mb/mem
    • webgui: Fixed diagnostics errors when array was never started
    • webgui: Docker: fixed multi container updates display oddity
    • webgui: Rename docker repositories tab to template repositories
    • webgui: Syslog: allow up to 5 digits port numbers

Edited by limetech

• Like 1
    • Thanks 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Update from rc4 went fine. Apologies wasn't able to get diagnostic for issue I had with RC5 (array not starting) but it is not an issue with RC6.

• Thanks 1

Update from RC5 went fine for me. Retested on the qcow2 on XFS corruption issue. Looks like it is solved with qemu 4.1.1. Install a guest OS in a qcow2 vdisk on a XFS disk doesn't cause vdisk corruption anymore. Manually compressing a qcow2 vdisk also produces no issues now.

One thing to mention what still exists, creating a Win10 VM with default settings enables Hyper-V by default but you can't change it to off aftwerwards. Nothing is change if you flip the switch and press update. It stays on.

Tried 6.8.0-RC1 and ran into a problem with my Windows 10 VM.  I have a wireless mouse and keyboard connected through a Logitech Unifying Receiver.  Under V6.7.2 when I booted unRaid into GUI mode I could use the mouse and keyboard.  When I started the Windows 10 VM (passing through an AMD 5450 GPU) the unifying receiver was also passed through and I could use the mouse and keyboard in the VM.  When I booted 6.8.0-RC1, the mouse and key board were not usable in the VM and when I tried to hot plug the receiver, I got an error messge that it was already being used by Qemu.  BTW, I have an additional video card that unRaid boots into and I can switch back and forth from unRaid and the VM using a hdmi switch.  In the case of v6.7.2, when the mouse and keyboard were usable in the VM, they were not usable in unRaid. In V6.8.0-RC1 the mouse and keyboard were usable in unRaid even after the VM booted.  It's as though V6.7.2 would release the mouse and keyboard to the VM while V6..8.0-RC1 doesn't.  Anyone else experience this problem?

I didn't have this problem with RC5 which reverted qemu but I have it once again with RC6 with the latest stable qemu.  I posted in the usb hot plug thread and the plugin author said it wan't a problem with his plugin. A minor annoyance.

My personal VM also disappeared from the GUI after the upgrade. I haven't done anything to troubleshoot it, but I thought I should chime in with the others seeing an issue.

My VM was a Ubuntu 19.10 system

Edited by randomninjaatk

thanks for all the hard work, question regarding the new hardware exploit patch, does it result in a lot lower performance? What % are we speaking? Anyone notice any slowdowns?

10 minutes ago, je82 said:

thanks for all the hard work, question regarding the new hardware exploit patch, does it result in a lot lower performance? What % are we speaking? Anyone notice any slowdowns?

Here's an article that includes some benchmarks.

Edit: however I thought all the microcode changes released for this occurred on 13 Nov, but now I see another set published on 15 Nov, so we'll have to create another Unraid OS release including this and maybe -rc6 does not have the full set of mitigations.

• Thanks 1
    • Haha 1
    8 minutes ago, limetech said:

Here's an article that includes some benchmarks.

Interesting, that's pretty hefty performance hits at times

I'm on old hardware and it looks like the entire Intel TSX technology isn't even part of this architecture so i guess i am spared or i am already on sad performance :P

image.png

Edited by je82

I've kept watching this since I started developing problems with high CPU usage since RC3 with shfs. I found that when I went back to RC1, the shfs problem as well as a lot of critical CPU_IOWAIT were solved by downgrading. I have noticed that the shfs problem isn't acting up as much with RC6 but I still keep getting a lot of the CPU_IOWAIT critical warnings. I'm not sure how to correct this.

tower-diagnostics-20191116-1950.zip

15 hours ago, bluepr0 said:

There's some kind of bug that doesn't show your VM list, I've got one and it doesn't show up there.

917246201_Screenshot2019-11-16at19_27_43.png.58c1c739473180bba5de4134f225f506.png

Just reporting the same bug, all VMs were working fine - VMs running are (FreeBSD & 2xWS2016) but once I started a win 10 VM all the VMs disappeared from the list but they are still accessible.

I have sufficient memory to run them all.

vidas-syslog-20191117-1019.zip

5 minutes ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

Just reporting the same bug, all VMs were working fine - VMs running are (FreeBSD & 2xWS2016) but once I started a win 10 VM all the VMs disappeared from the list but they are still accessible.

I have sufficient memory to run them all.

It's already a extra thread for this

Looks like it happens, if you startup ALL VMs configured on your server. Temporary fix is to create a small dummy VM which you don't boot up.

aha I had a temp win10 vm i dont use much, but once started all gone... thanks for the tip.

Once I shutdown the extra VM they all came back.

Edited by PSYCHOPATHiO
    10 hours ago, veruszetec said:

Hey, quick question: Why is User0 considered deprecated?

Is there something I should be using instead to replace this functionality?

I'm interested in this also. I use user0 for several applications that do large background file transfers that I want to skip my cache (in order to avoid filling it up all the time)

• Thanks 1
    52 minutes ago, golli53 said:

I'm interested in this also. I use user0 for several applications that do large background file transfers that I want to skip my cache (in order to avoid filling it up all the time)

Not necessarily cast in stone to get rid of it.  Thank you for the feedback.  Nothing to see here until 6.9 anyway.

• Thanks 1
    On 11/16/2019 at 12:28 PM, bluepr0 said:

There's some kind of bug that doesn't show your VM list, I've got one and it doesn't show up there.

917246201_Screenshot2019-11-16at19_27_43.png.58c1c739473180bba5de4134f225f506.png

I also have this bug, rc5 to rc6, VM's show fine until one gets launched (either from GUI or CMDL), then it goes blank...  I only have one VM, and so I am willing to rebuild the libvirt partition for testing if needed...

qw-diagnostics-20191118-1759.zip

On 11/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, BoarAnt said:

Correct. At the grub menu, press the Tab button to enable editing, and add nomodeset as an additional argument at the end of the linux line and press return to boot. Once unraid is up, be sure to go into the flash drive and edit those lines in your grub.cfg permanently.

Just confirming that 'nomodeset' does not allow my EPYC 7302p server to boot in RC4-RC6, not in any mode (I tried all 4).

Edited by IamSpartacus